Is otsuka still the closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Is otsuka still the closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is otsuka still the closer?

Postby bengbrewer » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:07 pm

SHould I drop Otsuka for Saito with Gagne possibly injured?

8 Team Standard 5x5 Roto

C J. Mauer (Min - C)
1B J. Giambi (NYY - 1B)
2B C. Figgins (LAA - 2B,3B,OF)
3B H. Blalock (Tex - 3B)
SS J. Reyes (NYM - SS)
OF L. Berkman (Hou - 1B,OF)
OF V. Guerrero (LAA - OF)
OF C. Beltrán (NYM - OF)
Util T. Hafner (Cle - Util)
BN M. Young (Tex - SS)

SP R. Oswalt (Hou - SP)
SP J. Beckett (Bos - SP)
SP J. Papelbon (Bos - SP,RP)
RP B. Jenks (CWS - RP)
RP T. Walker (TB - RP)
P M. González (Pit - RP)
P A. Otsuka (Tex - RP)
P F. Liriano (Min - SP)
BN J. Smoltz (Atl - SP)
BN J. Lackey (LAA - SP)
BN E. Gagne (LAD - RP)
BN J. Patterson (Was - SP)
DL M. Prior (ChC - SP)
bengbrewer
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 293
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dc928 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:36 pm

No, he is still the closer......... ;-D
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1247
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ReddawgT » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:40 pm

yup, he is still the closer. ;-D
ReddawgT
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 311
Joined: 7 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FuriousGeorge » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:45 pm

You have 6 closers on your roster as it is.
FuriousGeorge
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 79
Joined: 26 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:57 pm

FuriousGeorge wrote:You have 6 closers on your roster as it is.

Lol. Some people really want to win those saves. :-B

Of course every save here is a save that isnt counting against you.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1524
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 7 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:07 pm

swyck wrote:
FuriousGeorge wrote:You have 6 closers on your roster as it is.

Lol. Some people really want to win those saves. :-B

Of course every save here is a save that isnt counting against you.


I did this in one of the leagues in which I'm in first place right now. Drafted 6 closers (Dempster as one of them to allow me to use a SP slot). Picked up a 7th in Papelbon. It obviously wins you the category but more importantly you can get to the point that you've got the saves category virtually sewn up by around the ASB. I've got about 80 saves right now in that league. Another few weeks and I'll be around 100 saves. At that point I can start selling off some closers for upgrades all over my team. You just look at guys that are way down in the standings that could benefit greatly from a closer or two and make them a fair offer. Explain the benefits of the deal to them (ie 2 closers would allow them to move up about 6 or 7 points in the saves category) and most of the time they're more than happy to give you fair value...they're not competing with you (they're down in the standings) and you not only upgrade your players but invariably hurt your competition as well by making sure that the people getting the big points in the saves category are the ones that aren't close to you in the standings.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Postby x_Momentum » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:51 am

saito hasn`t really shown up for the dodgers in a while. concerning otsuka, texas has been using francisco cordero for the last 2 save opportunities and had otsuka kind of be the set-up man. things aren`t certain that cordero will become the new texas closer but it`s looking quite possible.
Image
x_Momentum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 582
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:49 am

x_Momentum wrote:saito hasn`t really shown up for the dodgers in a while. concerning otsuka, texas has been using francisco cordero for the last 2 save opportunities and had otsuka kind of be the set-up man. things aren`t certain that cordero will become the new texas closer but it`s looking quite possible.



ummm no they havent...before you post like you know what you're talking about, why do you do alittle research and take a peek at how cordero actually got the saves. }:-)
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
(Past Year: 65)
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Postby bolts801 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:41 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:
swyck wrote:
FuriousGeorge wrote:You have 6 closers on your roster as it is.

Lol. Some people really want to win those saves. :-B

Of course every save here is a save that isnt counting against you.


I did this in one of the leagues in which I'm in first place right now. Drafted 6 closers (Dempster as one of them to allow me to use a SP slot). Picked up a 7th in Papelbon. It obviously wins you the category but more importantly you can get to the point that you've got the saves category virtually sewn up by around the ASB. I've got about 80 saves right now in that league. Another few weeks and I'll be around 100 saves. At that point I can start selling off some closers for upgrades all over my team. You just look at guys that are way down in the standings that could benefit greatly from a closer or two and make them a fair offer. Explain the benefits of the deal to them (ie 2 closers would allow them to move up about 6 or 7 points in the saves category) and most of the time they're more than happy to give you fair value...they're not competing with you (they're down in the standings) and you not only upgrade your players but invariably hurt your competition as well by making sure that the people getting the big points in the saves category are the ones that aren't close to you in the standings.


ANNNND don't forget you always get the complimentary win here and there as a super bonus when you are playing 5 or 6 closers.

Turnbow gagged me on last night. :) WooT!!
"Before becoming rich and famous. Just try being rich first."

Bill Murray.
bolts801
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 365
Joined: 7 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:49 am

I wouldn't be so hasty in saying Otsuka's still got the gig, either. How the hell do any of us know what's really going on there, esp. when it comes to Showalter.

Otsuka came on in the 8th in the second game vs. KC with Texas only trailing by 2 runs. Are you trying to tell me a 2-run deficit against KC is insurmountable?

Otsuka came on in the 8th & the score was 2-0 KC.
If they weren't at least considering giving Cordero another shot at closing, wouldn't they have brought him or another reliever in the 8th inning instead of Otsuka in that game?
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2850
Joined: 1 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Apr. 17
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Cleveland at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Seattle at Texas
(2:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(3:45 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(6:40 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(7:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact