Who highlights next year's free agent crop? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who highlights next year's free agent crop?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:07 am

RAmst23 wrote:Is Carlos Lee projected to stay in Milwaukee?? If not, I'd think he would get a ton on the FA market.

I think the Yanks or Cards would really love to have this guy on their team right now. Even the Reds Sox I think would jump at the chance on siging him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/06/c ... _best.html
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:07 am

RAmst23 wrote:Is Carlos Lee projected to stay in Milwaukee?? If not, I'd think he would get a ton on the FA market.

I think the Yanks or Cards would really love to have this guy on their team right now. Even the Reds Sox or maybe the Braves would jump at the chance on siging him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/06/c ... _best.html
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby jayman » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:33 am

Alfonzo Soriano.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:01 am

Havok1517 wrote:I thought Mussina, Smoltz, & Schmidt has options on their contract. I know Mussina for sure does, 17Mill I believe. :-°
This year was Schmidt's option year so he will be a FA next year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:06 am

giants! wrote:Pretty solid hitting class, pitching looks weak, and a few closers gonna be fa.
You really think so??? The hitting looks weak to me. Outside of Carlos Lee I don't see a great bat. There are some interesting options but most are either on the downside of their careers or a big injury risks IMO.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby garf112 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:18 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
giants! wrote:Pretty solid hitting class, pitching looks weak, and a few closers gonna be fa.
You really think so??? The hitting looks weak to me. Outside of Carlos Lee I don't see a great bat. There are some interesting options but most are either on the downside of their careers or a big injury risks IMO.

Yeah, Alfonso Soriano is a bum. Better free agent crop than last year, but not by much.

Other Free Agents of Note:
Nomar
Luis Castillo
Jeff Kent
Javy Lopez
Bengie Molina
Mike Cameron
Griffey
Bonds
Cliff Floyd
Preston Wilson
Moises Alou
Jermaine Dye
Sheffield

Bottom line: Signing free agents is hardly ever the answer to a team's issues. Most of the time the players are no longer in their prime production years (26-30), and are beginning the decline stage of their careers. This is more often the case for hitters than pitchers. This is why I think you will see even the "big spenders" begin to look to the their farm systems more and more. You see it in the Mets, Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, etc.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 41)

Postby dyuen87 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:37 am

Another name worth throwing out there is the Japenese pitcher, Daisuke Matsuzaka. It's already a rumor that his team may let him come to the States to pitch. He has filthy stuff and is projected to be a front-line starter. Many teams are gona want him this offseason.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:01 pm

garf112 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

Yeah, Alfonso Soriano is a bum. Better free agent crop than last year, but not by much.

Other Free Agents of Note:
Nomar
Luis Castillo
Jeff Kent
Javy Lopez
Bengie Molina
Mike Cameron
Griffey
Bonds
Cliff Floyd
Preston Wilson
Moises Alou
Jermaine Dye
Sheffield

Bottom line: Signing free agents is hardly ever the answer to a team's issues. Most of the time the players are no longer in their prime production years (26-30), and are beginning the decline stage of their careers. This is more often the case for hitters than pitchers. This is why I think you will see even the "big spenders" begin to look to the their farm systems more and more. You see it in the Mets, Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, etc.

I forgot about Soriano. !+)
Still this FA class could go either way depending how the old guys hold up.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers