A Dodgers v. Angels freeway World Series? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A Dodgers v. Angels freeway World Series?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A Dodgers v. Angels freeway World Series?

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:13 pm

A slight chance this year, but when you look at the teams and the talent-laden youngsters both teams have on the roster and in the minors, it's a real possibility in the coming years.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:25 pm

There are a lot of questions on that team. Mathis, Kotchman with his mono (stupid, stupid move), and Wood are struggling.

If Kemp can continue to succeed with not much plate discipline, and Guzman succeeds, watch out for the Dodgers.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dc928 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:31 pm

I don't see Dodger / Angels world series happening this year tho, I mean both teams are playing with their unproven prospects. Although it does seem like the Dodgers prospects are pending out. Matt Kemp, Russell Martin is great and Joel Guzman hasn't even shine yet.

For the Angels, Kendrick Morales seems to have a bright future but I am not so sure on Kotchman. I think they need to get a big bat and trade Adam Kennedy for some RP help.

With that say, I think both teams will be very competetive teams within 2 or 3 years......and for years to come...
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:17 pm

No chance...at least this year. But down the road a while, I could see it happening
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Los_Dodgers » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:39 am

Dodgers have no chance at all this year. However, if they can manage to trade Izturis/Navarro/Seo or Odalis (if they hold any value whatsoever) for a good young SP, call up Billingsley and get him some experience this year, further develop their prospects and sign a stud outfielder this offseason, they could make some noise next year. they should look something like this, if they follow my instructions

Starting 5:
Penny
Lowe
Talented, Young SP
Billingsley
Tomko (Ew)

Bullpen:
Beimel
Kuo
Baez
Saito
Broxton
Gagne
C: Martin
1B: Nomar (hoping for a successful campaign and then a re - sign)
2B: Kent
SS: Furcal
3B: Guzman/Mueller
OF: Stud OF
OF: Kemp
OF: Drew
BN: Lofton, Cruz, Ethier, Martinez, Aybar.

Though even next year this team doesn't resemble a world series challenger, if Guzman and Billingsley can progress as hoped for and Kemp can continue to produce, we might be in good shape.
Los_Dodgers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SeovyeQuirsefron » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:46 am

I doubt we'll see a SoCal Series this year. Although the balanced young/old Dodgers are exciting and could make a run, and it's too early to count the Angels out, it seems unlikely that both will go all the way to the Series.

Unfortunately, the most likely regional Series is in New York.

Anyway, as a Dodgers fan I don't ever want to see a Dodgers vs. Angels World Series. It's a no-win proposition for the Dodgers. If we win, we should; we're one of the game's most venerable teams. If we lose we'll have to listen to endless bragging by the fans of some upstart team with two WS victories and little more to its name.
A baseball fan has the digestive apparatus of a billy goat. He can, and does, devour any set of diamond statistics with insatiable appetite and then nuzzles hungrily for more. ~Arthur Daley
SeovyeQuirsefron
College Coach
College Coach

Postby suppasonic » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:57 am

Not a chance this year. Dodgers can make the World Series, but the Angels will be lucky to make the playoffs.

For the Dodgers to make the playoffs,

Penny needs to continue to pitch like an ace
Lowe needs to fall in behind as a respectable #2

Tom Glavine needs to fade in NY
Pujols has to either have a recurring injury or the rotation needs to crumble around Carpenter.

Once they get passed the Mets and the Cardinals, the Dodgers would be able to do it.

For the Angels to make the playoffs,

Vlad needs to go on a tear, as do about 3 or 4 other angel hitters, and be a respectable offense.

The Rangers and A's have to fail.

The White Sox, Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, would all beat the Angels in a playoff series (Dont quote me on this though.)

While its possible, Dodgers-Angels wont happen this year. Dodgers could, Angels wont.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:21 am

Maybe down the line, but the Angels are brutal right now. They really need another bat in there.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby johnsamo » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:52 pm

The Angels might surprise.... (1) Figgins has been cold, if he heats up, he's the table setter for Cabrera, Vlad and Garret Anderson (2) They've got a lot of young hitters who look to be finding their groove. (3) They've been without their cy young winner most of the season and Jered Weaver looks to be the real deal and Lackey is getting more consistant. (4) They've got Shields and K-Rod, so if they're ahead late, they usually stay ahead.

A lot of ifs, but the elements are there.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers