Postby uncabomb » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:07 pm

haha, u think i tried that hard?!?!?...i just typed in "ESPN wrote:"
haha
uncabomb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The G-Man » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:11 pm

uncabomb wrote:haha, u think i tried that hard?!?!?...i just typed in "ESPN wrote:"
haha

I know. I meant thanks for posting it. :-°
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Big Train » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:20 pm

Not sure about an injury issue but this article/commentary was in the SF Chronicle:

Don't expect the banishment of Benitez soon
Bruce Jenkins

Saturday, June 10, 2006

The talk-show callers aren't waiting. Neither are the fans so clearly exasperated over the Giants' late-inning relief. They want Armando Benitez exiled from the closer's role, with no shot at parole.

It's not quite that simple, but the team's frustration level can't be too far behind.

Manager Felipe Alou tipped his hand in the epic Jason Schmidt performance against Florida on Tuesday night. There was nobody warming up when the ninth inning began -- a shocking development for anyone familiar with Alou's bullpen strategy -- and when someone did begin to stir, it wasn't Benitez, but Jeremy Accardo.

Two nights later, with the astonishingly bad Pirates in town, Alou demonstrated his sense of fairness. Accardo was a long man, and Benitez pitched the ninth -- not impressively, but at least surviving without setting fire to the proceedings. So don't expect a radical shift in plans, at least not yet.

The problem is that we're still well short of the All-Star break, Benitez is coming off a lengthy injury, and there's nowhere else to turn -- short of a trade -- if Accardo becomes this year's Tyler Walker. Benitez won't last long if he keeps throwing pitches like that grooved fastball to Lastings Milledge in New York, but the Giants believe he at least deserves an extended chance.

There will be howls of protest from sofa-bound fans. There will be hooting from the stands. Just don't expect to see Benitez banished from the kingdom; the alternatives seem rather limited. The division looks even more winnable these days with the Dodgers' pitching staff struggling and the Diamondbacks, a mighty force just last week, reeling in the wake of the Jason Grimsley crisis. So stay tuned, and remember: It's the Journey of the Flawed.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ursa » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:39 pm

What we've just seen in the 8th inning at SF really ought to make all these armchair Benitez critics shut up. Neither Accardo nor Worrell are worth diddly as a closer.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates