Benitez having trouble?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Benitez having trouble??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Benitez having trouble??

Postby uncabomb » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:52 pm

ESPN report Benitez might be having some pain in his arm again. They say the next guy is accardo or worrell and with the ole man running the team, they say he usually goes with experience over#'s sometimes. But accardo's #'s are a lot better...who do you think would get it and have y'all heard anything else from any other place?
uncabomb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby checkers » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:59 pm

My guess is Accardo next in line...
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AmazinMeTS86 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:12 pm

During the last homestand, manager Felipe Alou was asked which of his young relievers had the best shot of being a closer, and immediately he answered Accardo. Accardo's ERA over his last nine outings is 0.71. It'll be interesting to see how long Benitez holds onto the closer's role.

This was on CBS Sportsline
AmazinMeTS86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Benitez having trouble??

Postby The G-Man » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:13 pm

uncabomb wrote:ESPN report Benitez might be having some pain in his arm again.

Any other updates on this?
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby uncabomb » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:17 pm

no idea man, he blew a save during his last chance with a 2 run cushion...i think someone else might get the shot
uncabomb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The G-Man » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:31 pm

uncabomb wrote:no idea man, he blew a save during his last chance with a 2 run cushion...i think someone else might get the shot

So it's all just speculation based on one game? I did not see any links reporting this.
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby uncabomb » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:49 pm

no, check out ESPN's new closer column on benitez
uncabomb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The G-Man » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:00 am

uncabomb wrote:no, check out ESPN's new closer column on benitez

Do you have the link? Benitez got the win last night. Still no word on how painful it was.
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby uncabomb » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:11 am

ESPN reports:
In San Francisco, there's speculation that Armando Benitez is hurt again. Benitez, now 33, did miss much of last season with a torn groin, but that injury has healed. Earlier this season a knee injury put him on the DL. Since then, the only reports we've heard from the Bay have been related to Benitez complaining about a lack of workload. Indeed, Benitez only pitched in seven games all of May, saving two of three chances. The Giants are just an odd team. When they win, it's been by more than three runs or via walkoff. Armando saved Saturday's game at Shea, then blew Sunday's. And we absolutely cannot read anything into that Jason Schmidt performance Tuesday, when Felipe Alou had two relievers warming up in the ninth, with Schmidt up 2-1 and runners on second and third, but not Benitez. Schmidt was going to win or lose that game. He ended up striking out the next three hitters. Had he allowed the tying run, someone like Jeremy Accardo would have entered, with the lead gone. I have heard unsubstantiated rumors from San Francisco in the last 24 hours that Benitez is hurting, and if they are true, I'd think Accardo or Tim Worrell is next in line. Felipe could choose Worrell, you know. Worrell saved six games in April and just came off the DL Wednesday. He has experience. Accardo has far better numbers, and stuff, but old managers generally choose experience. That said, I just grabbed Accardo in a deep league. Worth a shot.
uncabomb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The G-Man » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:48 pm

uncabomb wrote:ESPN reports:
In San Francisco.......

Thanks for the extra work and posting it. As the article said, it is just speculation. However, it does make sense. I think Benitez is a roller coaster, and the Giants want someone more stable. With Worrell just off the DL, he may need some time/work.
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates