IS Gagne's rank to high? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

IS Gagne's rank to high?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby G-Man » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:33 pm

great post flloyd, that is a very helpful perspective to show closer comparisons. ;-D
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:02 pm

To answer the original question:

Yes, Smoltz and Gagne's ranking is too high. As good as they are, I wouldn't waste a top pick for one of them. 3rd round at the absolute earliest.

Yes, you should get more than Blalock for one of them.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby crazybob60 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:21 pm

wow, you have the best two relievers out there in smoltz and gagne. amazing, I am sure that you are eating up all those saves...
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby G-Man » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:25 pm

Smoltz has been carrying him in the saves dept since Goggles has only had one save opp in the last 3 weeks..... :-t
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdh » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:49 pm

The other thing to remember is that if you have both Gagne and Smoltz, and people know that you are set for saves and need to trade one of them away for offense, of course they will lowball you, knowing that you have to trade one so why should they pay full price. Couple that to the fact that closers are overrated by Yahoo's ranking system and you have no hope of getting a top 10 player for Gagne. It's not going to happen, especially with the Dodgers not giving him many save opps the past month or two.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:13 pm

individually, yes the consensus is that they don;t help int he toher categories. BUT, if you are luck enough to get a number of good ones, it almost becomes liek ahving a top three pticher, their cumulative effect is that great. We have four RP spots and Five SP spots. one guy has rivera, smoltz, foulke and isringhausen, and let me tell you the effect they have is immense. I have six relievers like that, as Baez and Kim can also play at SP, and still elave room for my rotations. On a whim I compared my six closers against my starters and basically, kim, gordon, baez, beck, mears and donnelly pitched comprable innings to my number one tandem of zito and schilling. similar IP but the stats across the board ranged from similar to superior. so if you can get a bevy of them, I say it can have a profound effect. but if it means having a gagne paired witha mesa, williams and dejean, I would forgo that. But given my six, adn looking to move up in the rankings, I can say it is paying dividends.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jdh » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:23 pm

The only reason your 6 closers have a similar number of innings pitched as Zito and Schilling is because Schilling missed half the year with an injury. Otherwise, it wouldn't be close. A save is a save, and if you didn't draft expensive closers and paid attention early this year, you could have likely scooped up Worrell, Borowski, Biddle, off waivers, and that's 60+ saves right there, plus none of those guys have ERAs over 4.00. Last year, Guardado and Gagne were likely waiver pickups. It's good to always draft at least one top 10 closer, but you can definitely find bargains off waivers if you use your draft picks on top hitters and stud starting pitchers.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:30 pm

i forgot to add one proviso -- it was the last month, not the whole year. both schillign and zito have pitched about 70 some odd inings, as have had my closers/relievers
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby great gretzky » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:31 pm

i doa gree with the bargain hunting though. i drafted isringhausen and relied on paying attention and scooping off of waivers for the rest. Also traded for kim.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wrveres » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:35 pm

flloyd wrote:So having Gagne versus Mesa in my league would have moved you up potentially 8-12 points quite easily. Making him very valuable in my mind.

that was the best explanation I have seen on this site .. and it is all true. I knew there was a reason I had drafted Smoltz very early on every team. :-)

It always nice to have saves all locked up by the break and then you can set the price. I usually like to try and send that closer, not to the team it is going to help ... but just below the team I need to knock down. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers