Strategy question for the experts & veterans - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy question for the experts & veterans

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy question for the experts & veterans

Postby BeautifulBrunette » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:01 pm

Ok, I'm trying to shore up my team for the stretch and doing some reading on various sites. In a nutshell, one particular article advised that when looking at waiver wire pickups, you should look not only at your guy's past stats but also the stats of his upcoming opponents. For example, if you need wins and/or boost in ERA, you should look at anyone playing Detroit, TB, LA, SD, NYM, and the Indians. Simple enough. If you're looking for favorable matchups for your hitters, you should look for guys facing the Tigers, Reds, Rangers and KC. Again, easy enough.

My question -- and bear with me if it's a dumb one, I'm a rookie -- say you have TB playing KC, like I do tomorrow. I have Darrell May scheduled to pitch. He's a marginal pitcher at best, but then at the same time, the Rays are not exactly sluggers. Which direction do you go when you have a crappy pitcher facing weak hitters?

Thanks again. BTW, this season has been a blast and the Cafe might be the best source I've found for novices such as myself. ;-D
BeautifulBrunette
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:04 pm

I would still bench him, if tampa can score 2 runs off of mulder, then they rip apart may,
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby stevelabny » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:15 pm

the better question is:

if youre not gonna start him against TAMPA BAY why is he on your team?

if you are afraid to start a pitcher against the 5 weekeast teams in their league then just dont bother owning them.
stevelabny

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby SteveJeltz » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:37 pm

Steve makes a good point. I usually go combing the wire almost daily looking for pitchers playing the Tigers or possibly the Indians. The D Rays have a very good offense and I would not put them in the league of Doormats. Tampa has also won 6 of 8 now and is playin good ball. SO don't take them too lightly.
Hey the Cheat, Thanks for helping me...cheat.
SteveJeltz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:07 pm

I've taken Tampa off my list of weakest teams. They are still near the bottom, but not down there with Detroit or LA anymore. As far as May against TB, I'd probably go ahead and take a shot at that one. May has pitched pretty well and KC is winning. It's worth the risk to me.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby crazybob60 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:17 pm

Yeah, I would pitch May against TB. TB has been riding a pretty good offensive streak here of late, but that still doesn't change the fact that they are still not very good. Go with May!!!!
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers