The Big "IF" Frank Thomas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Big "IF" Frank Thomas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Big "IF" Frank Thomas

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:28 pm

Just looking for some stats on what Frank Thomas can do when he's not injured. He seems to be getting it together this year and hopefully he stays healthy. If so I thik he can put up some monster numbers.

40 hr's not out of the question if he can play 140+ games.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby d18Mike » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:37 pm

He walks. He's knocking the ball out of the park about every 12 ABs. He's hitting .235 --- he's Adam Dunn on your FA wire. Plus he bats cleanup.

Why not take a shot. IF he stays healthy he's good for 30-35, easy and I gotta belive he'll hit .250-plus.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:32 pm

There is no questioning the talent of Thomas, so if he can stay healthy he will put up some nice numbers. I've gotta think that Avg will come up as the season goes on as he hasn't played much the last couple of years so he just needs more ABs to get back into the groove of hitting for a decent Avg.

Thomas will be Thomas as long as he can stay healthy. :-o ;-D

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:19 pm

Yea I really relaly hope he stays healthy. It's tough to hurt yourself DHing but it seems that thomas hurts himself merely walking to the plate every year.

Anyways I love his production when he's healthy
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby tomdoyle3 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:21 pm

Yea, and while his average isn't going to be great, it won't be this bad. He should bring it up to around 260.
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:25 pm

.296 in the last month...perhaps he's getting warmed up from the down time? I saw some early games of the As and he looked a bit rusty. I think that he may continue the upward trajectory. He seems like a decent value for 2-3 HR/ week. Then again, if the AVG going up suggests his eye/ timing is improving, maybe he could even get hotter?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:26 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:.296 in the last month...perhaps he's getting warmed up from the down time? I saw some early games of the As and he looked a bit rusty. I think that he may continue the upward trajectory. He seems like a decent value for 2-3 HR/ week. Then again, if the AVG going up suggests his eye/ timing is improving, maybe he could even get hotter?

He's about right where you would expect power-wise. His average looks to be heading to the mid-270's or so.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:14 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:.296 in the last month...perhaps he's getting warmed up from the down time? I saw some early games of the As and he looked a bit rusty. I think that he may continue the upward trajectory. He seems like a decent value for 2-3 HR/ week. Then again, if the AVG going up suggests his eye/ timing is improving, maybe he could even get hotter?

He's about right where you would expect power-wise. His average looks to be heading to the mid-270's or so.

I could see him perhaps get sharper on the breaking stuff to poke an occasional single through maybe? Of course, then he'd lose AB b/c they probably don't want him darting around the bases... :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby tomkatt » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:27 pm

Only problem with the Big Hurt is that the ankle/foot condition is somewhat chronic. I remember hearing something about it in the spring. They made it sound like it will never heal 100%. That said, if he can stand the pain.... the man can flat out pound the ball!
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:28 am

It's kind of feast or famine with Thomas. He either hits it out or singles almost no matter were he hits it in the field. One of the trainers told him that if he tries to leg out a ball down the line or in the gap that he may not be trying to leg out anything for a long time. He had a slight quad pull a few weeks ago but he has been fine besides that. His average should steadily climb. He didn't play many ST games because he was still hurt so he WAS rusty at the beginning of the year.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers