How to play catchup when your team is doing badly? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to play catchup when your team is doing badly?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby decoy562 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:57 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
johnsamo wrote:Also, don't have a lot of teams. I have one team and spend all my time on that one team.... Getting into a long-running keeper team is the best idea though. Even when you're out of it, you can still make plans for next year. I'm in a 8 years and running league 12 team league that allows you to keep 6 players. For most of those years, I was at best in the middle, but I focussed on youth when I was down, and now I have the best 6 keepers in the league. I finished 3rd last year in a CLOSE CLOSE race that went down to the last day literally.

This year, I've been in first most of the year, but lost Pujols so I'm slipping a bit, but I'll still be in decent shape to get back to 1st when Pujols is back.... but anyway, my point is, what I did in those bad years is why I'm near or at the top in my league the past two years.

Yeah, not only is this important from the standpoint of being able to build for the future but it's also important in that when you have 8 leagues or even more going it's too hard to actually spend much time analyzing what each team needs fixed. You usually just end up setting starting lineups, replacing injured players and fielding anyone else's trade offers.

Yeah, this is my first year and I have 8 teams. I'm not really doing that bad (3 1st places, 1 2nd place, 1 4th place, 1 6th place, 2 9th place, and 1 11th place) but if I had less, I'd do better. I will probably cut them down to 4 next year (if I don't get itchy during spring training :-D )
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tomdoyle3 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:14 pm

Even 4 is a little too much. (Atleast for me it is.)

I go with 2, my dynasty league and a league with some friends.
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:43 pm

tomdoyle3 wrote:Even 4 is a little too much. (Atleast for me it is.)

I go with 2, my dynasty league and a league with some friends.

I cut down from 16 in my first year (2005) to 8 this year. I'm hoping to get that down to 4 next year but I might even manage to squeeze it down to 3 (my keeper, my random private league that I somehow managed to find my way into and a private league with some guys from the Cafe).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:23 pm

At least you're not the moron who traded Jose Reyes for Sexson not before the season, but during May when Sexson was at the mendoza line. That actually happened in my league.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:52 pm

ravenmad22 wrote:At least you're not the moron who traded Jose Reyes for Sexson not before the season, but during May when Sexson was at the mendoza line. That actually happened in my league.

Heck, I'd rather have Pierre than Sexson at this point. At least Pierre puts up numbers in a very scarce category while he's sucking in all of the other ones.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:22 pm

Actually, I lied. I have two teams. I joined the other yahoo league just to get in a little live draft practice before my important league draft. Out of respect to the league, I monitor the team and put guys on the DL if they're hurt and make sure I have my SPs on the roster when they have a start, but it's not a league I spend more than a minute over in any one day. Occassionally, If I decide I like a player for my important league, I'll see if he's available in the other league and pick him for that one too. I'm in 3rd there so I'm doing respectable, but to be honest, I don't care whether I win it or come in last on that one.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers