How to play catchup when your team is doing badly? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to play catchup when your team is doing badly?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NikeTxGuy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:03 pm

Well I have to say that I have made some risky, some dumb moves even... some good some bad... basically my team can be summed up of the main phrase: "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly..."

These are the trades that I've made:

Trade #1 - Traded away Andruw Jones and Morgan Ensberg for Alfonso Soriano and Pedro Martinez... Overall Trade: Excellent! ;-D

Trade #2 - Traded Johnny Gomes and Scott Kazmir for Johnny Damon and Jose Valverde - Overall Trade: Good... but Valverde has not lived up to its potential... :-t

Trade #3 - Traded Vernon Wells for Jim Thome - Overall Trade: Poor... Thome has struggled and Wells has been living up to his potential... :~(

Trade #4 - Traded B.J. Ryan for Jason Isringhausen - Overall Trade: VERY VERY POOR... Ryan has an ERA of 0.63, Isringhausen ERA: HIGH... :-t :-t :-t

Trade #5 - Traded back Alfonso Soriano and Pedro Martinez for Chase Utley and Manny Ramirez - Overall Trade: OK... Martinez has yet to heat up to his potential, and Utley is an overall good player, while Soriano has been Pujols as of late and Pedro has been struggling badly... losing or receiving a ND the last 6 starts... ;-D

Trade #6 - Traded Jim Thome, Paul Konerko and Johnny Damon for Jeff Francoeur, Kris Benson and Vladimir Guerrero... Overall Trade: Excellent... Guerrero has been producing at his level somewhat, while Konerko and Thome are strikeout kings, streaky, and Damon has been doing ok, while Benson I have dropped and Francoeur as well...

When you put all of those trades together, my team looks like this:

C Ra. Hernández (Bal - C)
1B C. Utley (Phi - 1B,2B)
2B D. Uggla (Fla - 2B)
3B Mi. Cabrera (Fla - 3B,OF)
SS J. Reyes (NYM - SS)
IF O. Cabrera (LAA - SS)
OF C. Patterson (Bal - OF)
OF M. Ramírez (Bos - OF)
OF V. Guerrero (LAA - OF)
Util R. Ibañez (Sea - OF)
Util J. Castillo (Pit - 2B)
BN A. Rowand (Phi - OF)

Pitching

SP J. Santana (Min - SP)
SP M. Mussina (NYY - SP)
SP J. Lackey (LAA - SP)
SP J. Marquis (StL - SP)
SP P. Byrd (Cle - SP)
SP R. Clemens (Hou - SP)
SP J. Rheinecker (Tex - SP)
SP K. Millwood (Tex - SP)
SP I. Snell (Pit - SP)

RP J. Isringhausen (StL - RP)
RP T. Coffey (Cin - RP)
RP J. Valverde (Ari - RP)
RP K. Ray (Atl - RP)

I am currently in 1st place by 6 points... I also currently lead in my league in Runs, Home Runs, Runs Batted In, Stolen Bases, Total Bases, and OPS... I am 2nd in my league in average with .286

Pitching is suffering however... I am 8th in IP, 8th in OUTS, 7th in Saves, 6th in K's, 6th in Wins, 5th in ERA and 3rd in WHIP...

These are the trades that I am in the process of executing:

Orlando Cabrera for Derek Lowe - Overall Trade: Excellent will help my squad with another good pitcher with low ERA and decent WHIP...

Bill Hall, Jason Isringhausen, Johan Santana for Alfonso Soriano and BJ Ryan... Overall Trade: Excellent, true may be losing Santana while gaining back some much needed offensive Pujols-style and my relief pitcher I will get back that will help my ERA and WHIP...

Raul Ibanez for Dontrell Willis... Overall Trade: Excellent, if it can go through... :-o

Free Agent Signings:

Corey Patterson (from free agency - cleared off from waivers May 17th) ;-D

Jose Castillo (Free Agency)
Dan Uggla (Free Agency)
Aaron Rowand (Free Agency)
Todd Coffey (Free Agency)
Raul Ibanez (Free Agency)

All of my starting pitchers that are NOT named Santana, Mussina or Clemens (Free Agency)
NikeTxGuy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tomdoyle3 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:10 pm

decoy562 wrote:Forgot to mention...I picked some position players off of the WW to help, and I picked up 2 WW starters for yesterday's games, and gained 5 points in the standings in one day, so far so good ;-D

wow 5 points this late in the year is very good! ;-D
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby brandnew » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:14 pm

Did he just say Thome was struggling? Did I read that right?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby NikeTxGuy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:17 pm

brandnew wrote:Did he just say Thome was struggling? Did I read that right?

Well, if you compared who got the better end of that deal, I think when you compare the two, I think you would say that Thome is struggling and Wells is performing... if you had to put one player in a performing category and the other in a struggling category... this is what I meant by "struggling..."
NikeTxGuy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby klvrdude » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:26 pm

JohnGris wrote:Oh my, look at this. Worse than I thought, although Giles wasn't as bad as I thought, but some, such as Phillips, are much worse than I thought. The only player that I picked up after his hot streak ended was Feliz, so it's not that I've been chasing streaks. The left is their season average, the bold on the right is average when I play them. Am I better off just picking somebody, any old body, and never changing no matter the splits or opposing pitcher?

This is just incredible. I suck. !+)

C V. Martínez .291 .291
1B S. Hillenbrand .339 .312
2B R. Canó .313 .320
3B D. Wright .335 .335
SS Bo. Crosby .251 .240
OF B. Giles .278 .253
OF C. Crawford .304 .304
OF P. Feliz .275 .230
Util B. Phillips .312 .215 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Util Jh. Peralta .237 .232
BN R. Sexson .218 .195 (@$!!$%%!!!)
BN J. Barfield .260 .206
DL J. Gibbons .268 .250

That seems to be a product of your own doing.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby decoy562 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:49 pm

tomdoyle3 wrote:
decoy562 wrote:Forgot to mention...I picked some position players off of the WW to help, and I picked up 2 WW starters for yesterday's games, and gained 5 points in the standings in one day, so far so good ;-D

wow 5 points this late in the year is very good! ;-D

Yeah, but I got like 30 more to catch up though :-t
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:34 pm

Sometimes, you're in too much of a hole to do anything to salvage a season. If you're in a long-running partial keeper league, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and give up hope and focus on improving your keeper options....

but anyway, back to how to get back... there are four basic strategies...

(1) Trade your hot rookies for cold (but historically proven) vets, and then just pray they return to form. As a general rule, hot rooks cool off and cold vets heat up. It's not a guarantee, but more often than not, that's how it goes.... Lots of vets go on tears in the 2nd half. Pettite and Delgado are two guys who are likely to get better. Pettite's been cold all year, but Delgado just this last month, you might get lucky and find that an owner thinks Delgado is done and get him, and he could go on a tear... Studs who are cold are often easy to get, especially when the team he's on is dong badly.

(2) Keep a sharp eye out on for streaks and good match-ups... i.e... Some vets are streaky and historically, they'll have bad months and great months. When a cold vet who's been cold has a few good games, try and pounce... Likewise, a player can have totally different months based on what teams are on his schedule. A road trip through KC and Texas can be a good time to grab a hitter, or for an NL guy, facing Pitssburgh and Milwaukee can mean good stats are on the way. This can mean, dropping and picking up guys on a regular basis.

(3) When you have a particularly weak slot, try platooning... I always like to use my utility spot for a platoon, switching in and out two lefty power hitters who tear up right handed pitching.... guys like Brousard, Morneau, and a lot of others.... You can also do a steals platoon, with guys like Lofton and Dave Brown... or mix an match, a power guy and a steal guy, and switch them in and out depending on who the opposing pitcher is.

(4) examine the scoring categories and study them to look for where you can make big leaps and where you can't. Some categories, you may be so far behind, you can only climb a few points even if you get red hot, while other categories, if you can improve the #s, you can jump up in the ratings a lot. Also look at where you're strong. If you're doing well in steals and there's a big gap between you and the guy below you, you might be able to trade a steals guy but not hurt your score... If you're WAY BEHIND in one category, it might be time to punt it if you can't catch up and trade or pick up players to focus on where you can gain a lot.

5... All of the above
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:06 pm

Also, don't have a lot of teams. I have one team and spend all my time on that one team.... Getting into a long-running keeper team is the best idea though. Even when you're out of it, you can still make plans for next year. I'm in a 8 years and running league 12 team league that allows you to keep 6 players. For most of those years, I was at best in the middle, but I focussed on youth when I was down, and now I have the best 6 keepers in the league. I finished 3rd last year in a CLOSE CLOSE race that went down to the last day literally.

This year, I've been in first most of the year, but lost Pujols so I'm slipping a bit, but I'll still be in decent shape to get back to 1st when Pujols is back.... but anyway, my point is, what I did in those bad years is why I'm near or at the top in my league the past two years.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby decoy562 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:24 am

All very good points...I am starting to use them and am moving up in the standings some ;-D
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:43 pm

johnsamo wrote:Also, don't have a lot of teams. I have one team and spend all my time on that one team.... Getting into a long-running keeper team is the best idea though. Even when you're out of it, you can still make plans for next year. I'm in a 8 years and running league 12 team league that allows you to keep 6 players. For most of those years, I was at best in the middle, but I focussed on youth when I was down, and now I have the best 6 keepers in the league. I finished 3rd last year in a CLOSE CLOSE race that went down to the last day literally.

This year, I've been in first most of the year, but lost Pujols so I'm slipping a bit, but I'll still be in decent shape to get back to 1st when Pujols is back.... but anyway, my point is, what I did in those bad years is why I'm near or at the top in my league the past two years.

Yeah, not only is this important from the standpoint of being able to build for the future but it's also important in that when you have 8 leagues or even more going it's too hard to actually spend much time analyzing what each team needs fixed. You usually just end up setting starting lineups, replacing injured players and fielding anyone else's trade offers.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers