How to play catchup when your team is doing badly? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to play catchup when your team is doing badly?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JohnGris » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:36 pm

decoy562 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I have been patient, but it is now June, and when you're behind by 100+ runs and rbi's and your team is hitting .264, you start to panick a little bit. :-D

Do I go by the alias of decoy562? I didn't think I had an alias, but I'm starting to wonder. My team is hitting exactly .264, I'm behind by over 100 runs, my pitching is decent, and I have Sexson.

:-?
JohnGris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby decoy562 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:53 pm

JohnGris wrote:
decoy562 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I have been patient, but it is now June, and when you're behind by 100+ runs and rbi's and your team is hitting .264, you start to panick a little bit. :-D

Do I go by the alias of decoy562? I didn't think I had an alias, but I'm starting to wonder. My team is hitting exactly .264, I'm behind by over 100 runs, my pitching is decent, and I have Sexson.

:-?

Sucks, don't it? :-D
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:05 pm

wtf i have a team thats last place in rbi and hr and i have sexson too...i think sexson is killing teams at an unprecedented rate....
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby JohnGris » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:32 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:wtf i have a team thats last place in rbi and hr and i have sexson too...i think sexson is killing teams at an unprecedented rate....

Well, I wish I could blame Sexson for all my problems, but I somehow don't think he'd have 100 runs yet even if he were having a career year :*) . I also have Peralta, Crosby, a 2 out of 3 of my outfielders are a bit iffy.

Plus, I've managaed to pick the wrong days to bench people. Most, if not all of my players are hitting below their season average for days that I play them. For instance, I decide to bench Peralta for the first time all year yesterday (he's produced w/Runs and RBIs if not HR and Avg), and after going 1/23 for the previous week, he goes 2 for 4. Story of my season. Some of the players I drafted, such as B. Giles, are hitting up to .040 less on days that I play them. I try to base who I play on left/right splits and if they're facing a tougher pitcher, plus I usually won't sit them in the middle of a hot streak. It's driving me insane. I feel like the worst fantasy manager in the history of fantasy sports.
JohnGris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JohnGris » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:44 pm

Oh my, look at this. Worse than I thought, although Giles wasn't as bad as I thought, but some, such as Phillips, are much worse than I thought. The only player that I picked up after his hot streak ended was Feliz, so it's not that I've been chasing streaks. The left is their season average, the bold on the right is average when I play them. Am I better off just picking somebody, any old body, and never changing no matter the splits or opposing pitcher?

This is just incredible. I suck. !+)

C V. Martínez .291 .291
1B S. Hillenbrand .339 .312
2B R. Canó .313 .320
3B D. Wright .335 .335
SS Bo. Crosby .251 .240
OF B. Giles .278 .253
OF C. Crawford .304 .304
OF P. Feliz .275 .230
Util B. Phillips .312 .215 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Util Jh. Peralta .237 .232
BN R. Sexson .218 .195 (@$!!$%%!!!)
BN J. Barfield .260 .206
DL J. Gibbons .268 .250
JohnGris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:17 pm

For example my team was in the basement for a while and I had Bartolo Colon on the DL and Burnett on the DL for the whole season.

So I traded Burnett straight up for Petitte

I traded Wright for Aramis, Liriano, and Hamels (K heavy league)

I traded Colon and Aramis for Tom Gordon (RP are worth alot)

My lineup stands currently at this.

1B: Ryan Howard
2B: Jose Lopez/Chone Figgins
3B: Arod
SS: Freddy Sanchez
OF: C. Crawford
CF: C. Beltran
OF: Matt Holliday
UTIL: Frank Thomas/Chone Figgins

Pitching:
SP: Cole Hamels, Liriano, Jared Weaver, Andy Petitte, Roy Oswalt.

RP: Papelbon, Tom Gordon, John Broxton, Rodney, F. Cordero, Kenny Ray

Now In my league holds and saves get you alot of points for barely any IP penalty.

So I want alot of decent RP. Broxton, Rodney, Cordero, and Ray although not the current closer all have a chance. Papelbon and Gordon are the top two closer's point wise in my league.

So I gave up a lot: Aramis, Wright, Colon, Burnett.

But I'm getting alot in return that will help fill my team out better.

Every league is different you have to go your own way.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bleach168 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:34 pm

lol...

Trading two mediocre players for one good player is not a "risky" trade fellas.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby tomdoyle3 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:26 pm

focus on categories where you have a good chance of gaining 2-4 points with one move (roto). In some categories, you may have no chance of catching the person ahead of you, so disregard that. Don't just look at the person 1 place ahead of you in any category, look at the people ahead of him, as there is no point in gaining 1 point.
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby decoy562 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:58 am

tomdoyle3 wrote:focus on categories where you have a good chance of gaining 2-4 points with one move (roto). In some categories, you may have no chance of catching the person ahead of you, so disregard that. Don't just look at the person 1 place ahead of you in any category, look at the people ahead of him, as there is no point in gaining 1 point.

That's a very good point and that's what I've been trying to do! ;-D
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby decoy562 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:02 pm

Forgot to mention...I picked some position players off of the WW to help, and I picked up 2 WW starters for yesterday's games, and gained 5 points in the standings in one day, so far so good ;-D
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers