Tulowitzki or any player in first year draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Tulowitzki or any player in first year draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tulowitzki or any player in first year draft

Postby Morrison8312 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:41 am

What do you guys think? ;-D
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:49 am

I think it's a pretty vague question. :-b

Care to make it a bit more clear what you asking? All I get from that is to rate/talk about Tulo and players in the draft, which would obviously take a bit of time depending on what exactly your asking. Or do you just mean who is the better player: Tulo or anyone from this draft?
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Morrison8312 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:33 pm

hybrid wrote:I think it's a pretty vague question. :-b

Care to make it a bit more clear what you asking? All I get from that is to rate/talk about Tulo and players in the draft, which would obviously take a bit of time depending on what exactly your asking. Or do you just mean who is the better player: Tulo or anyone from this draft?

I've been offered the first pick in the upcoming minor league draft for Tulo and Round 2 (22)....My other top prospects are Quentin, Maybin, Reimold, Volstad, A. Reyes...I have 33 more but they're longshots....

I made it vague so people would read it :-b
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:35 pm

I'd say then it depends if you want pitching or not then. If you don't want pitching keep Tulo, but if you do Miller could be tempting to take.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby NatsFan10 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:49 pm

hybrid wrote:I'd say then it depends if you want pitching or not then. If you don't want pitching keep Tulo, but if you do Miller could be tempting to take.

I agree with that premise, but I would suggest going with Hochevar if you want pitching rather than Miller. For a guy lacking a third pitch and only displaying so-so velocity this season, I think Miller is being a bit overhyped.
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:51 pm

NatsFan10 wrote:I agree with that premise, but I would suggest going with Hochevar if you want pitching rather than Miller. For a guy lacking a third pitch and only displaying so-so velocity this season, I think Miller is being a bit overhyped.

I still like Miller more, especially considering the team that drafted him. The Tigers have shown they can develope pitching and are a good ball club, the Royals well haven't shown much of anything. While Miller's change might not be as developed as you would like, he has an excellent 2 seam FB that is very good at getting ground balls and can act like an off-speed pitch. Add to that he is a lefty that throws low to mid 90's and has an amazing slider, it's hard for me to go against that.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby eazyb81 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:10 pm

hybrid wrote:
NatsFan10 wrote:I agree with that premise, but I would suggest going with Hochevar if you want pitching rather than Miller. For a guy lacking a third pitch and only displaying so-so velocity this season, I think Miller is being a bit overhyped.

I still like Miller more, especially considering the team that drafted him. The Tigers have shown they can develope pitching and are a good ball club, the Royals well haven't shown much of anything. While Miller's change might not be as developed as you would like, he has an excellent 2 seam FB that is very good at getting ground balls and can act like an off-speed pitch. Add to that he is a lefty that throws low to mid 90's and has an amazing slider, it's hard for me to go against that.

He really hasn't thrown mid 90's since Cape Cod last year. His velocity is down to high 80's-low 90's, and I just don't feel his 2 seamer will provide enough of a difference to fool ML batters. Plus his delivery will most likely need some tweaking as he throw across his body and puts way too much pressure on his shoulder. Yes he's tall, yes he's a lefty, but in my opinion Hochevar has better stuff, better command, better makeup, possibly better velocity if we factor in his recent Indy starts, and is just a more well-rounded pitcher.

Also, I think the organization argument might have more merit if Hochevar was a kid out of high school, but he is near big league ready right now and is not going to need much development. The Royals would have to try real hard to screw him up at this point.
Last edited by eazyb81 on Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

Postby Members Only Jackets » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:45 pm

I'd keep Tulu....A SS with pop in Coors is something special...You could alsways trade him down the road when his value is high. I'd especially want him considering Barmes is stinking up the joint.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby hybrid » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:03 pm

eazyb81 wrote:He really hasn't thrown mid 90's since Cape Cod last year. His velocity is down to high 80's-mid 90's, and I just don't feel his 2 seamer will provide enough of a difference to fool ML batters. Plus his delivery will most likely need some tweaking as he throw across his body and puts way too much pressure on his shoulder. Yes he's tall, yes he's a lefty, but in my opinion Hochevar has better stuff, better command, better makeup, possibly better velocity if we factor in his recent Indy starts, and is just a more well-rounded pitcher.

Also, I think the organization argument might have more merit if Hochevar was a kid out of high school, but he is near big league ready right now and is not going to need much development. The Royals would have to try real hard to screw him up at this point.

I'll admit I haven't seen Miller to much this year, but I haven't read any reports that he can't hit mid 90's when he wants to. His 2-seam is approx. 6-8 mph difference with sink, I think that is a good enough difference to work effectively. Also it's not like he won't try and develope his change, he isn't as polished but as a prospect I like him more. The delivery doesn't concern me to much, afterall the Tigers just took Verlander from a very wild arm to what he is now w/ a change in his delivery and his delivery doesn't require to much adjusting.

I think you can pretty much question who has the better stuff, by no means Hochevar is easily better. I'll take a FB from a lefty of his height over a righty any time, also I've seen Hocevar pitch and to me his best breaking pitch isn't IMO that close to what Miller's slider can be. I do agree with you on make up though, Hochevar has a clear advantage in that department. Miller's control has also been greatly improved this year, not as wild as earlier in his college career.

While you are right since he is more polished the development on the Royals won't play as much of a role, I think you still have to look at the organization he is in. He will be constantly on a losing team and really not have much help from any vets ... he is more on his own. I'm not saying the Royals will kill him, I still think he will be pretty good ... I just think it plays a small part in his overall future value.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby stevethumb » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:53 pm

keep tulowitzki
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye