The no starter Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The no starter Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:08 pm

There was another thread about this in which the guy's opponent had 6 closers, no relievers.

I have an idea to test this strategy, if somebady divides all the current closers up into 3 teris. Then I'll draw 2 closers out of each teir from a hat on Sunday. The next Sunday I'll total up their stats and see how it worked. I guess I'll do it for a while, say 8 weeks? Maybe even every week if I can, I just need somebody to divide the closers into three tiers. I think its a great idea.
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby g-dawg » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:37 pm

From my experience, it really depends on what stats you're keeping up with. Currently, I'm in one league that is very relief pitcher friendly, so this strategy is working fairly well. Personally, I don't like the idea. I'd rather get 4 or 5 good, dependable starters and a few dependable closers and hope for the best. If I'm commish, I try to set me leagues up so that you can't be overly successful using this strategy. It just seems to take away from the fun. But that is pretty bogus having the commish change settings during the year.
g-dawg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:51 pm

The risk isn't worth the benefit in *most* situations.

That said, I had a VERY bad draft this year in my keeper. Standard yahoo league positions 5x5 h2h league with 14 min ip where we keep 6 and redraft 15 players. I didn't have a pick until the 8th round out of the 15 redraft rounds. I decided that for me it was worth the strategy. I do have 1 starting pitcher (Carpenter) because he was a keeper but outside of that I run Shields, Soriano, Betancourt, Linebrink and Rincon out there (no decent closers left in round 8). If there's a blow-up then I churn SP's...cheesy but necessary if you want to compete with teams that carry 7 or 8 SP's and you only have 1.

It works but not 100%. I think I'm 7-2-0 in both era and whip so far. This week thanks to Tomko (early spot start that I thought was a can't miss) and Carpenter I'll be dropping down to 7-3-0 and have been in full churn mode since Wednesday. So you're going to win those categories about 70-80% of the time if you do it right. But is it worth losing k/w almost 100% of the time? Unless you've got a VERY good reason to do it then it's probably not.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:16 pm

g-dawg wrote:From my experience, it really depends on what stats you're keeping up with. Currently, I'm in one league that is very relief pitcher friendly, so this strategy is working fairly well. Personally, I don't like the idea. I'd rather get 4 or 5 good, dependable starters and a few dependable closers and hope for the best. If I'm commish, I try to set me leagues up so that you can't be overly successful using this strategy. It just seems to take away from the fun. But that is pretty bogus having the commish change settings during the year.

It doesent take away the fun. Its not like its a 100% guarantee. And new strategies and risks are fun.
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby haveuseenm » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:34 pm

Sounds like a decent system. I would defenitly call BS on the commish. Sounds like crap. I went the other direction and am loaded with SP's and only 2 closers. My 3 Reliever is split between RP eligable. (shilling, sosa, fossum) Keep us up to date on how this is working very interested.
we're not a city, we're not a state, we're a nation royals nation
haveuseenm
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby parishai3 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:07 pm

thanks for the reply's... sounds like its going to pay off, hopefully my hitting will keep up.
parishai3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:36 am

In one of my leagues I am basically doing this...although my strategy is to have like 5 closers and two really good SP's in order to try to bring my ERA down.

I have Rivera, Jenks, Gonzalez, Gagne, and Julio plus Jason Schmidt and one or two other guys. Still, it's risky because one bad relief appearance can wreck your ERA, and the chances of winning wins and K's is smaller. But, if you play your cards right, you can win three of five pitching categories every week... :-?
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guaranteed Loser » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:35 pm

I am currently doing this in a standard roto league, and I am in first place, even after the loss of Pujols

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=180188&highlight=

It is working so far ;-D
Guaranteed Loser
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers