The no starter Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The no starter Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The no starter Strategy

Postby parishai3 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:52 am

Im thinking of using the strategy of not starting any pitchers and just using my relief guys. Its a H2H league, 5x5 scoring, minimum innings 7, and my starting pitching is ruining my ERA and WHIP. I know its risky because if a closer gives up 3 runs and blows a game, its going to be extremly hard to overcome. But im so heavily favored in RP, and have recieved no trade offers after putting out several times that RP were on the block.

I just wanted to ask anyone who's tried this before, how it worked out.
parishai3
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

heh

Postby PyRo8 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:12 am

i used it last year and built up a monster offense. i rode it thru the regular season and easily won cuz it was H2H. But once the playoffs came, my pitching blew up in every way possible. so.... it's a risky gamble. pays off more than it doesnt but it can blow up at anytime and there's nothing you can do about it.
PyRo8
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby parishai3 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:12 am

anyone have any input?
parishai3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby swyck » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:27 am

I dont think its a bad idea, and been discussed before here.

You pretty much punt W and K so essentially you're down 1-2 at the start of the week. Also WHIP and ERA are not automatically unless they're all stud RPs.

Do none of your SPs have any value at all? I'd rather at least get a couple of starts a week with some spot starts. I guess you missed out on Verlander, Hamels, Weaver, Josh Johnson, etc. in the waiver wire? I'd keep an eye out. No telling who the next waiver wire stud is.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cobra_Kai » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:25 pm

It's not a bad idea, but I think you really need to work your draft into this. For example, when guys are taking starters like Harden, Sheets, etc in the early rounds, you know the high-upside injury-risk types, you just keep loading up your offense. Make sure you grab two or three good closers, and then just fill in your staff with top-of-the-line middle relief types.

I tried this out one year and it worked like a charm. My ERA at the end of the year was something like a 2.9, my WHIP was like 1.07, I won the league in saves, and I racked up enough Ks and Ws to stay competitive - alot of those top MR types will pick up a solid amount of both.

Of course, I had the top offense, mainly because I wasn't worried about drafting pitchers.

So it works, you've just got to make sure you do it right. It might be tougher in the middle of the season to adopt this scenario - I don't know how good your offense is, or anything.
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby costag » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:19 pm

I'm in 16 team H2H 9x9 league and that's exactly what I did. The min innings was 10 and I was destroying everyone with Gordon, Nathan, Otsuka, R Soriano, F Rodney, F. Liriano and a coupld of other good RP.

The league voted to raise the innings pitched to 25 innings b/c I was so far out ahead. However, it got too easy and I didn't mind the change b/c I also had Buerhle, Liriano and got to pick up Jered Weaver. So now I can meet the innings pitched!

Still in 1st place! I'd recommend it if you have the right startes.
costag
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:27 pm

costag wrote:I'm in 16 team H2H 9x9 league and that's exactly what I did. The min innings was 10 and I was destroying everyone with Gordon, Nathan, Otsuka, R Soriano, F Rodney, F. Liriano and a coupld of other good RP.

The league voted to raise the innings pitched to 25 innings b/c I was so far out ahead. However, it got too easy and I didn't mind the change b/c I also had Buerhle, Liriano and got to pick up Jered Weaver. So now I can meet the innings pitched!

That's garbage your league can change like that in the middle of the season. Especially when it hurts your strategy you drafted by. :-t
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby costag » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:39 pm

unfortunatelly yahoo allows the commish to change these types of categories throughout the year.

It stinks but I am still 20 games ahead of 2nd place!

Some people may think it was cheap but hey - you adapt to what your environment allows. If it alloys it, then do it!
costag
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CadensDad » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:29 pm

As long as it's h2h I say go for it, but you have to DRAFT for it, I dont think you can just start in the middle of the season unless you got guys like Papelbon,Gagne, Benitez off the wire or soemthing. You need to draft the big closers in order to make that strategy work

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby echrisl » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:40 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
costag wrote:I'm in 16 team H2H 9x9 league and that's exactly what I did. The min innings was 10 and I was destroying everyone with Gordon, Nathan, Otsuka, R Soriano, F Rodney, F. Liriano and a coupld of other good RP.

That's garbage your league can change like that in the middle of the season. Especially when it hurts your strategy you drafted by. :-t

I had something similar happen last year, where several teams, including the commish's team, were in favor of changing the max IP to unlimited from 1250 in the middle of the year (think late May, early June) because they didn't realize that it was the rules until I mentioned it on the message board in passing. They had been churning their staffs off the WW and were already approaching the IP limit, while I had been playing a few quality starters and was on pace to reach 1250 toward the end of the year.

Long story short, after a couple weeks of three or four people debating the issue, with only myself opposing the change (at least I was the only one verbally opposing it), they pushed the change through, since the commish was as big of an idiot as the rest of them, and I quit the league mid-year in protest.

Changes like that are completely unfair, and if made render the league defunct, IMO.
Using a key to gouge expletives on another's vehicle is a sign of trust and friendship.
echrisl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers