Maximising your roster - the pitfalls. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maximising your roster - the pitfalls.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:49 am

NZF wrote:For example I'd bench JD Drew against a leftie starter and he'd go 0 for 3 against him and then hit a 3 run bomb off the rightie reliever in the 8th inning.

Yep, I sat Dunn the other night against Carpenter - so he hits a jack off the reliever. Ugh.

Watching you play was actually what motivated me to start this strategy, and now I'm sold on it. ;-D

But good to hear I'm not the only one getting burned by bench guys. I'll try to be patient. !+)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby number9 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:46 am

I also live far far away where games can start at 2am. I'm a beginner, but anyways I tried to cut down my bench spot to 0 for hitters and just play a solid hitting lineup that I can trust day in and day out (then again I notice players getting more rest days recently, but maybe that's because I started fantasy). Then used up all my bench spots for pitchers. Using decent SP eligible RP guys, as well as playing matchups with SPs. Injuries to my hitters cut that plan short. But I still only carry one hitter on the bench. Then again I drafted mostly hitters first and pitchers later, so I had pretty solid hitting to begin with but a lot of pitching to sort through.

Oh yeah, it's easier to play the matchups for SPs because you can plan well in advance (especially if you don't want to be awake at the middle of the night to see who's in the starting lineups).
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lordoftheswing s » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:32 am

Over the years I have a variety of strategies depending on my opponents and the league format...I H2H leagues I prefer loading up on pitchers and will live off the WW if I haver serious injuries...

If the league is a marathon I go nuts leaving offense on my bench but often owners hit the panic button early in the season and one just cant pass up the vets that end up there...Last year it was A Jones, V-Mart, Helton, erc and this year have already grabbed Helton in a couple of leagues...

I have a buddy that checks lineups and readjusts accordingly. He has kept stats on his results and this year he has lost more from his changes than he has gained...
lordoftheswing s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Big Cat » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:38 pm

I had Crawford on the bench 2 weeks ago. That was a fun time.
Big Cat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nat Uralice » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:11 pm

I really try to keep my bench hitters to 1 or 2 at the max. That way you can sub players who are off but you're never drinving yourself mad over who to play/watching bench homers. I remember way back when I used to have Cameron ride the pine all the time, keeping him merely for steals. Thank God his 4-homer game was on an off day. !+)
Can't worry about tomorrow's pain tonight.
Nat Uralice
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers