Maximising your roster - the pitfalls. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maximising your roster - the pitfalls.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maximising your roster - the pitfalls.

Postby RynMan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:08 am

Hey Fellas

I like to load up my bench slots with extra offensive players - that way I can maximise my offense by plugging in guys on days with limited games - adding to my counting stats. I'll pitch n ditch down the track to make up any innings that I am behind.

I try to do my homework before each day to try and get the guys in the lineups based on matchups etc.

The problem is that it KILLS me when I have days like today, when Furcal goes 2 for 2 with two jacks while sitting on my bench and Aramis Ramirez goes 0-fer (we play 2 utility spots).

In theory, I could miss every home run for about 6 of my guys, depending on if they hit their HR's every day that they were on the bench. Not likely to happen but you see my point.

Or maybe I shouldn't confuse the outcome with the decision - I did my homework, and those guys looked to be the best gambles on that day. If I stick to the plan I should be right more than wrong.

What are your thoughts guys?

Does it pain you to see guys perform on your bench?
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:14 am

I think it really depends on the bench guys. For example, if you have a fairly shallow league with a good bench (as you apparently do if you can put Furcal on your bench) then I love having that extra offensive player or two. However, I'm getting to the point in my money league that the rosters are so deep that my bench players are from the likes of Mike Cameron and Adrian Beltre (just dropped him today after riding his brief hot streak). In cases like this, it seems like even on the days where I use these bench players, they simply reward me with an 0-fer.

So basically, good bench players = good idea to rotate them. Bad bench players just to get the ABs on off days and such = bad idea.

I'm about to knock it down to one bench player and pick up MR for a while I think. :-?

Oh, and yesterday I benched Figgins because he wasn't in the starting lineup (started Beltre in his place). Figgins entered in the 5th inning and hit a 2 run HR. And yes, that pissed me off.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:43 am

It would be interesting if fantasy services would keep track of your 'bench' runs, perhaps putting an "L" by the teams w/ the worst track records at benching runs. I missed Wilkerson's granny last week and a Dunn 2 HR outing earlier in the year. And probably 1/2 a dozen other HR. I have no idea what the rest of the leaguemates are losing out on but that could be almost as interesting as who's winning!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby RynMan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:47 am

slomo007 wrote:Oh, and yesterday I benched Figgins because he wasn't in the starting lineup (started Beltre in his place). Figgins entered in the 5th inning and hit a 2 run HR. And yes, that pissed me off.


Berkman
Dunn
A. Ramirez
Furcal
Rollins
Crisp
Tracy
Burrell

for 5 spots. Have to bench 3 guys a day. It's 10 team but I have picked guys up and made trades to give me alot of depth.

And the above point you made, when I can, I try to get to the lineups and see if any guys aren't in the lineup (got burned with Burrell today). However, some games begin at 3 am here.

Tough to set my alarm to get up and set my fantasy roster at 3 am.

Maybe that's a script that could be written. :-?
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby gostanford07 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:08 am

RynMan wrote:However, some games begin at 3 am here.

Tough to set my alarm to get up and set my fantasy roster at 3 am.

Maybe that's a script that could be written. :-?


Good lord. Where's here? Anyway, I'm somewhat in the same position as you with a crowded OF. Can't really drop any of those guys. Perhaps a trade to strengthen the pitching? I'm not sure. And like you said, I think you are being a little results oriented. It's like in poker when you make the right laydown but you would have ended up hitting it. You can't really do anything but research and try to make the correct play. The rest is up to the cards (players)
Image
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 546
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 707... The home of Jonny Gomes and Jason Lane

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:41 am

gostanford07 wrote:
RynMan wrote:However, some games begin at 3 am here.

Tough to set my alarm to get up and set my fantasy roster at 3 am.


Good lord. Where's here?

Heh. When Ryn punched 'Nowhere close' into his location, he meant it. Trust me.
Anyway, I've had similar problems rotating bench spots. On Monday, I missed two HR EACH from Kearns and Freel because I understood Oswalt to be starting against them. Of course, he was a late scratch, but I didn't know that because I was at work after setting my lineups earlier.
By the second half of the season, I like to trim down to one bench bat (preferably multi-cat and/or multi-position), and load the rest of my bench with pitchers.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3240
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 4 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Offshore

Postby tomkatt » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:11 am

What I've done for the time being is only go with one bench spot for the offense. I've stacked my team with pitchers, although I lost Putz & Street today in a trade for Reyes. That way I'm not constantly making the wrong roster moves.

I also missed out on Chone's performance the other night. I subbed in Chipper when I saw that he wasn't starting. I also had that happen a few weeks back with Rios. :-t

Was thrilled to get Reyes today. Finally solves my SS problems. ;-D

________________________________________



8 TM ROTO AUTODRAFT IN PRIVATE LEAGUE:

C- Ramon Hernandez*
1B- Chad Tracy**
2B- Brian Roberts
3B- David Wright, Chone Figgins, & Chipper Jones
SS- Bobby Crosby & Jose Reyes
OF- Bobby Abreu, Grady Sizemore, Austin Kearns, & Alex Rios

SP- Rich Harden, Barry Zito*, Jeremy Bonderman, Felix Hernandez, Justin Verlander, Kelvim Escobar, Mark Prior*, Cole Hamels, & Francisco Liriano**.
RP- Chris Ray, Jon Papelbon, & Todd Coffey

* = Players I acquired post draft that were dropped by other teams before the start of the season

** = Players I acquired post draft that were dropped by other teams after the start of the season
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1398
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Onyx » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:19 am

I hate seeing HR's and SB's on my bench.

Over the years I've missed out on so many 'good stats' from bench players (due to my tinkering) that now I try to just run with a set lineup and store a couple of prospects on my bench.

Our league is a dynasty league, so it may be different to most. Its a great way to learn patience...

For example, I'm living with Mench's 'slump' in the hopes that at the end of the season he will have a stat line of roughly
80 R, 25-30 HR, 100 RBI, 285 BA. If he does that it will be worth it.

And I too live nowhere near. Most of the games start around 7am here! I get to eat my toast and drink my coffee whilst watching the stat tracker tick over. Sometimes its very hard to go to work...
Onyx
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 141
Joined: 6 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Postby NZF » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:25 am

RynMan wrote:
Tough to set my alarm to get up and set my fantasy roster at 3 am.


Get your priorities right mate ;-)

I'm a firm believer in having several hitting bench spots and in the Cafe Challenge League where we've got 25 man rosters, I've got 8 hitting bench spots. Therefore I'm always playing match-ups and always will maximise my roster, giving me as much production as possible. I've got Kearns, Drew, Rowand, Green, Jenkins, Wilkerson and D.Roberts in the OF, so play match-ups constantly.

The first 6 weeks or so of the season I had terrible luck with this strategy and left more HR's and RBI's on the bench than on my playing roster. It was frustrating because it was certainly more bad luck than bad management. For example I'd bench JD Drew against a leftie starter and he'd go 0 for 3 against him and then hit a 3 run bomb off the rightie reliever in the 8th inning. I worked out that at one stage I'd left JD Drew on the bench in only 5 games out of 30 and in those games he'd hit 6 HR's and close to 20 RBI's :-P

In the past few weeks that bad luck has corrected itself (although I also benched Kearns the other day expecting Oswalt to start :-t ) and it should continue to even out for the rest of the season. All things being equal, I'm confident that I make the right decision the majority of the time and it's still the best way to go when you have flexible rosters ;-D
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby laxguy8947 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:38 am

The thing that gets me the most is when I leave stolen bases on the bench. I don't really have any true threat, so I'm just guessing most of the time and its been killing me lately :-/
Image
Thanks to abrage22
laxguy8947
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 918
Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cheering for the Braves in VA

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bali dawgs and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Apr. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Cleveland
(1:05 pm)
LA Angels at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Seattle at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Atlanta at NY Mets
(1:10 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(1:35 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(1:40 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(3:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at LA Dodgers
(4:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Baltimore at Boston
(7:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact