Why No love for Casey Janssen? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why No love for Casey Janssen?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikegp » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:50 pm

I'm probably biased because I'm a jays fan, but I actually like janssen a lot. He was a great sinker/breaking ball type pitch, which lead to a lot of broken bats in the last Oriole game. I think Tejada broke his bat twice on the same pitch(sinker tailing away to the back corner of the plate). He has a really nice cut fastball as well and has great location. What I like so far is that he seems to be adjusting to the batters. If i remember correctly, he's played tampa, baltimore, and anahiem more than once and has been better or just as good in his second start. Although I expect him to slump a bit, I'd say he could be a really good #3 pitcher in his prime.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nettles3Ball-star » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:15 pm

I was at the game last night and was pretty impressed with Janssen. He was usually working around 87-89 according to the stadium gun, but managed 90 a few times. The swings some of the O's took, particularly R. Hernandez, belied that. They hacked like he was throwing 95.

I'm no scout or ex-player, but it seemed like he hid the ball well with his delivery. He really seemed to drive forward to the plate, finally releasing the ball with his arm fully extended, his body stretched forward. I've read about long-armed pitchers seemingly throwing harder, because they reduce the distance to the plate. That's the impression I got from Janssen. Batters seemed to pick-up the ball late and quite a few wound up looking overmatched.
nettles3Ball-star
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby J35J » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:28 pm

hybrid wrote:Well you probably don't hear much cause he is 24/25 and doesn't have great stuff. He profiles as more or less a back of the rotation type pitcher and is pitching over his head at the moment.

I would disagree with this to a certain extent and that is he may not have great stuff as far as a 95 mph fastball or a Zito like curve but his stuff is very good because he can LOCATE all his pitches. It's hard to have a big inning against a guy who won't give up walks. Stuff or not, if you can throw strikes(quality strikes) you can/will be successful!

I think he will be your next Brad Radke type.... Low ERA and WHIP, low SO and W's will depend on the team and right now the Jays' offense is nice to pitch behind.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby tol1l1yboy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:40 pm

He reminds me a lot of Mark Buerhle without an out pitch. I think once the good teams see him a few times his numbers will even out but he should be a fine 3 or 4 in the majors. Probably a decent number 5 in fantasy.

I have him on my team and nobody has even sniffed a trade for him so not much value...at least not yet.
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:44 pm

Perhaps the simplest explanation is the best. As a Jays fan, you just have confidence when this guy pitches that he will pitch well and the Jays will have a good chance to win the game. Everything I have heard about this guy is that those around the team are incredibly impressed with his mental approach and composure, and that he 'looks' and thinks like he belongs. The Jays rotation has been so set back this year by injuries (Burnett/Halladay/Chacin) or incompetence (Towers) that you really can't underestimate what his contribution has meant to the team.

Things like that don't necessarily translate to him being a dominant fantasy pitcher, but from a 'real' baseball perspective, he has been extremely effective. ;-D

(Just too bad he won't get many shots against the Angels again, he simply owns that team..) :-b
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers