Why No love for Casey Janssen? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why No love for Casey Janssen?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why No love for Casey Janssen?

Postby Double Play Ball » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:44 pm

nowhere on these boards do i hear anything ghood about janssen. The onlt time when i even hear his name mentioned is when someone is asking if they should pick him up for either a spot start, or if they shuld add him in a very deep league. This kid has phenomenal stuff, and is now 6-3 with a 3.07 ERA and a WHIP under .95. In 56 innings this year Janssen had had walked only 8 batters. He hasnt given up more than 4 earned runs in any of his last 7 starrts. This kid is quielty putting up an All Start caliber year. It's about time he deserves some respect around here.
Double Play Ball
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zevon » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:51 pm

I picked him up over the weekend (waivers) and he put up a nice 6 inning win tonite, 5 K no walks and 1.50 ERA/ 1.00 WHIP.
He's got a solid spot in my rotation as long as he keeps approaching these numbers. ;-D
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bdrotoronto » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:54 pm

Janssen is good. The kid has really pitched well after he struggled a bit his first couple of starts. Take the first two starts away and his numbers have been lights out.

He has actually played a vital role for the Jays in stabilizing their rotation the last several weeks while Burnett and Chacin have been hurt. Even when Burnett comes back in a few weeks, Janssen should have the #5 spot locked up for the rest of the year, and deserves serious consideration in standard-sized leagues or deeper. ;-D
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby redjake » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:56 pm

He's been on my watch list for awhile. Roster limitations are the only thing that's kept me from grabbing him to this point.
redjake
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:58 pm

Well you probably don't hear much cause he is 24/25 and doesn't have great stuff. He profiles as more or less a back of the rotation type pitcher and is pitching over his head at the moment.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Re: Why No love for Casey Janssen?

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:05 am

Double Play Ball wrote:nowhere on these boards do i hear anything ghood about janssen. The onlt time when i even hear his name mentioned is when someone is asking if they should pick him up for either a spot start, or if they shuld add him in a very deep league. This kid has phenomenal stuff, and is now 6-3 with a 3.07 ERA and a WHIP under .95. In 56 innings this year Janssen had had walked only 8 batters. He hasnt given up more than 4 earned runs in any of his last 7 starrts. This kid is quielty putting up an All Start caliber year. It's about time he deserves some respect around here.

He doesn't really have great stuff, but he works pretty fast, throw strikes, change speeds, and holds runners on..all the things that make a good pitcher.

However, I think a main factor in the reasons why his numbers have been so good this season (5th in the AL in ERA, 1st in WHIP) has been the fact that he's pitched primarily agaisnt poor hitting teams (Tampa 3 times, Orioles 3 times, Angels twice), although his one start agaisnt a tough team (White Sox) he did succeed.

As Hybrid said, I think he sets up more as a #3-4 starter in the future, and I wouldn't expect these numbers to improve.

Is he relevant for fantasy? Well I guess in deep leagues he could provide good ratios and wins, but I wouldn't expect too many Ks. Also don't forget that the Blue Jays play the Red Sox and the Yankees a lot, which really hurts their starters (with the exception of Halladay and Lilly agaisnt the Red Sox).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:16 am

hybrid wrote:Well you probably don't hear much cause he is 24/25 and doesn't have great stuff. He profiles as more or less a back of the rotation type pitcher and is pitching over his head at the moment.

Unfortunately I have to agree with hybrid. Not that I don't like agreeing with hybrid, but because I wish he was wrong about Janssen. It's true, he doesn't have great stuff. He may develop into a really good pitcher someday, he's at least showing that he can pitch in the majors, but it's tough to see him keep a good offense off balance for too long. On the bright side, he does have 4 good pitches that he can use, none of them are great, but good enough to probably hold a #4,5 spot in a major league rotation.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 211)

Postby LouisC9999 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:06 am

zevon wrote:I picked him up over the weekend (waivers) and he put up a nice 6 inning win tonite, 5 K no walks and 1.50 ERA/ 1.00 WHIP.
He's got a solid spot in my rotation as long as he keeps approaching these numbers. ;-D

Same here ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RawTalent » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:10 am

Another reason to be tentative on janssen is that he's only pitched one season of professional baseball...this time last year, he was in A ball. He did dominate all of last year, but so would many in A ball.

That said, he's been pretty impressive this year. He hits his spots better than most rookies, and his fastball has decent movement into right-handed hitters (and away from lefties). He's got amazing control (he leads AL starters in WHIP, and is only bested by Pedro) and I also like how he's gotten better the second and third time around against teams he's faced earlier (Angels, Rays, Orioles).

Given that Liriano, Weaver and Papelbon are dominating the headlines, Janssen is certainly someone people simply haven't noticed, but may be just as helpful. FYI, he faces the Orioles, Marlins, Mets and Nats over the next four projected starts. I'd say 3 wins over those four starts isn't a bad bet.
RawTalent
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdsun1 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:26 pm

RawTalent wrote:Another reason to be tentative on janssen is that he's only pitched one season of professional baseball...this time last year, he was in A ball. He did dominate all of last year, but so would many in A ball.

That said, he's been pretty impressive this year. He hits his spots better than most rookies, and his fastball has decent movement into right-handed hitters (and away from lefties). He's got amazing control (he leads AL starters in WHIP, and is only bested by Pedro) and I also like how he's gotten better the second and third time around against teams he's faced earlier (Angels, Rays, Orioles).

Given that Liriano, Weaver and Papelbon are dominating the headlines, Janssen is certainly someone people simply haven't noticed, but may be just as helpful. FYI, he faces the Orioles, Marlins, Mets and Nats over the next four projected starts. I'd say 3 wins over those four starts isn't a bad bet.

3 out of the next 4 is a good bet. I like his chances but like most I dont have room on my bench right now. I need a hitter now that everyone is coming back down to earth and slumping.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers