Vlad is not human - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vlad is not human

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby crazybob60 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:50 pm

Sure there are a whole new class of OF's hitting their prime, but so is Vlad, remember he isn't exactly old, and when he gets back to 100% he will be putting those guys to shame again.
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jskidder » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:54 pm

i'm just saying that without the steals, vlad is more like a 2nd round pick now b/c of the depth at his position. i wouldn't take him very high knowing that i could get nearly the same production from a manny/preston w./wells/beltran/sheff type later
jskidder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Money Pit » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:53 pm

vlad is a tremendous talent and has come back very strong, but i would still be weary of that herniated disk. it could still be a problem in the future. i hope not, he is a great talent and it would be a shame if his back hindered his career.
Money Pit

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby mtarail » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:25 pm

I offered Vlad for Ichiro a few weeks ago. I'm sure glad now that the other guy rejected it. I think he may even grab a decent number of steals before this year is up.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dog » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:44 pm

pkarr5000 wrote:
jskidder wrote:i agree that he's great, but i don't think he's a top 5 draft pick any more as he has been in the past. there are just too many great of'ers that are coming into their prime right now.

like???

Vernon Wells
Dog

Postby guest » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:13 pm

What OF'ers are coming into their prime right now that would knock Vlad off the pedestal? Last I remember the consensus is that hitters don't really start hitting their prime until they're 27. I believe that 27-32 are the most productive years of a player's career. Isn't Vlad 27? Wouldn't that mean that he is only now hitting his prime?

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:34 pm

Dog wrote:
pkarr5000 wrote:
jskidder wrote:i agree that he's great, but i don't think he's a top 5 draft pick any more as he has been in the past. there are just too many great of'ers that are coming into their prime right now.

like???

Vernon Wells

vernon is a great player but I still would rather have vlad.
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cloverhurstdawg » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:50 pm

How about this deal? I swapped Dunn for Vlad way back when Vlad's back thing first flared up and Dunn was leading the league in homers. The guy I traded with is a real jerk who has been strongly suspected of colusion in the past and probably thought that I didn't know about Vlad's injury, but I did and I knew something that he didn't. Our league is head to head, so as long as I could get into the winner's bracket of our playoffs, I knew I'd have Vlad, Nevin, and possibly Piazza back for the stretch run, it's worked out very well so far and it feels so great to rip off a jerk like that when he thinks he's getting you.
cloverhurstdawg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby icalderus » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:56 pm

no way in hell wells is better than vlad. even with his bad back he still got an SB a couple days ago and is still a better hitter than wells. he is the guy who took the term OF to a whole new level. hes a hr machine , and rbi machine, hits for average , can throw people out with his cannon and can steal bases. no one out there can do all that on his level. look at him now with his back and all, compare him to wells and check it out. vlad is not human and no other OF out there can compare, the closest in all cats in my mind would be beltran. but hes still a distant second.
icalderus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:18 pm

think of it this way, vlad can hit blocked balls in the dirt 450 feet to dead center. can vernon really do that? he hits what are clearly balls that are several inches away from the zone 500 feet, scores runs, makes runs, and steals bags in one night. i dont give a damn about his back, he deserves so much more than all this stupid "he's injured so he cant do anything" thats just you all whining, this kid is the real deal and he isnt at his best.
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers