Strategy for setting rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy for setting rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy for setting rankings

Postby stikmata » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:10 pm

i just read this over at CBS and i was wondering if anyone employes such a method when ranking their players

H.: A better way of comparing players of differing abilities is to rank each of the scoring categories as a percentage against the projected league leader. If the projected league leader is to hit 50 home runs, then a player with a projection of 49 would be worth 98 percent of the top value. The same with stolen bases. Doing this for all five categories and averaging the results gives a much better picture of a players overall value. There is an additional calculation that must be made for average before averaging the percentages of all five categories and that is the ratio of at-bats a player has against the roster average. In many cases, a player with a high batting average but fewer at-bats has less impact in raising the team average then a player with a slightly lower average but more at-bats. I have used this method for many years and it has worked extremely well for coming out of a draft with an overall balanced team.

pros/cons to this? it sounds pretty good to me if your projections are decent
stikmata
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby j24jags » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:12 pm

sounds like a lot of work :-°
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby number9 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:29 pm

I'd imagine different stats have different standard deviations.. but would that matter? I need sleep.. :-°
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stikmata » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:33 pm

j24jags wrote:sounds like a lot of work :-°

i'll probably end up posting this again in the off-season when the stat junkies are more out and about
stikmata
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Strategy for setting rankings

Postby Matthias » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:49 pm

stikmata wrote:i just read this over at CBS and i was wondering if anyone employes such a method when ranking their players

H.: A better way of comparing players of differing abilities is to rank each of the scoring categories as a percentage against the projected league leader. If the projected league leader is to hit 50 home runs, then a player with a projection of 49 would be worth 98 percent of the top value. The same with stolen bases. Doing this for all five categories and averaging the results gives a much better picture of a players overall value. There is an additional calculation that must be made for average before averaging the percentages of all five categories and that is the ratio of at-bats a player has against the roster average. In many cases, a player with a high batting average but fewer at-bats has less impact in raising the team average then a player with a slightly lower average but more at-bats. I have used this method for many years and it has worked extremely well for coming out of a draft with an overall balanced team.

pros/cons to this? it sounds pretty good to me if your projections are decent

it's definitely better than just adding everything up and doing it linearly. but... the way you really want to do it is to calculate the total number of each statistic that will be accumulated in your league and do percentages off of that. because the top home run guy might be around 60 home runs and the top steals guy might be around 60 steals but someone who steals 30 is more valuable than someone who hits 30 dingers, if you figure that they'll have the same in the other categories (and yah, i know hr's go to three, just saying for the calculation).

and the at-bats/average thing is just because you want to take a weighted average. someone who hit .400 over 600 at-bats will help your average more than someone who hit .800 over 10 at-bats, obviously.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby roninmedia » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:53 pm

I would do that using standard deviation instead of percentiles.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby J35J » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:54 pm

Making your rankings and projections alot of work is what its all about!!! ;-D

As far as what I do is.......

I take all the players I want to rank, usually.....
25+ C
30+ 1B/DH
25+ 2B,3B,SS
100+ OF
100+ SP
50+ RP

I then look up each players stats he has had every year he has been in the bigs or I will look at his minor league numbers as well if he is a rookie or second year player. My emphasis will be on what that player has done the last 2 or 3 years but I do like to see what kind of "career" years he has had or "bad" years.

I then will make my own prediction on what that player will do for the current year. After I have all my predictions down I will then put in my own formula that takes my prediction #'s and gives me a final number and I rank my players based on that number the formula gives me.

Talk about alot of work!! ;-D ;-D But to tell ya the truth its the most fun time of the year when it is ranking/prediction/projection time, then draft day is that much better!!!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby mathias » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:26 pm

You do that then... and be sure to post results.
mathias
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers