HEY ump...are you... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

HEY ump...are you...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HEY ump...are you...

Postby DieHardCubbie » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:35 am

A good story about somebody overcoming a loss...and having what they want....

An Umpire With Everything in Perspective
Max McLeary, who lost sight in his right eye in 1977, rubs 48 baseballs before each Frontier League game.

By IRA BERKOW

CINCINNATI, Aug. 2 - A few years ago, in a game between the Chillicothe Paints and the London Werewolves, a foul ball smashed through Umpire Max McLeary's mask and knocked him down, as someone later recalled, like a sack of rocks.

"The last thing I remember,'' McLeary said, "is someone hollering, 'Max is bleeding!' I thought, 'This cannot be good,' and out I went."

An athletic trainer came flying out of his dugout to see what he could do to bring McLeary back to consciousness. The crowd went silent. The trainer ripped off the mangled mask, pulled the umpire's right eye open and shined a small flashlight into the orb.

The eye that returned his gaze, so to speak, was lifeless.

"Oh, my God!" the panicked trainer exclaimed. "I've lost him! Call 911! I've never lost anyone before!"

McLeary's umpiring partner came running in from his position in the infield.

"Hey," he shouted to the trainer, "check the other eye!"

The trainer shined his light into the other eye and, with relief, a glimmer of life stared back at him.

What the trainer had not known or realized in the confusion was that McLeary has only one eye; he lost the right one in a freakish accident almost 30 years ago. In this incident, McLeary sustained a fractured nose and a second-degree concussion, and needed eight stitches. But there was a blessing in all this: his good eye was still intact.

Bill Francis, a historian at the baseball Hall of Fame, said his research "came up with no record of any other one-eyed umpire."

McLeary, 55, jokes about his disability, with players and managers on the field, and with others off it.

"Here's a trivia question," he said over dinner here recently. "What has three eyes and umpires? Answer: Me and any partner I'm working with."

Rest of Story
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:39 am

A one eyed umpire? Interesting. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to General Talk