Zumaya - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Zumaya

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:25 pm

Matthias wrote:Although this is interesting (and contradicts my earlier stuff but I did a little nosing around... it's from about two weeks ago):

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/stories/ind ... xml&coll=1

Even if the Tigers do look to the bullpen for a starter, Joel Zumaya doesn't want it to be him. Zumaya told John Keating of FSN Detroit, and repeated Thursday, that he has no interest in going back to starting. "I feel the relief spot's my spot,'' Zumaya said

Interesting find, thanks. ;-D

Stud closer in the making before our eyes.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby markj11 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:27 pm

Matthias wrote:Although this is interesting (and contradicts my earlier stuff but I did a little nosing around... it's from about two weeks ago):

Even if the Tigers do look to the bullpen for a starter, Joel Zumaya doesn't want it to be him. Zumaya told John Keating of FSN Detroit, and repeated Thursday, that he has no interest in going back to starting. "I feel the relief spot's my spot,'' Zumaya said

A. Soriano said something similar once.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:28 pm

markj11 wrote:

A. Soriano said something similar once.

Really? I thought he liked second base... :-b
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:32 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Zumaya for sure has the best pure stuff of any major league, no question.

The best stuff of any major leaguer? :-?

He has filthy stuff, no doubt, but not the best. Some other guys with filthy stuff that I'd take over Zumaya's stuff - Verlander, Felix, Oswalt, and Rivera come to mind.

Yeah, I say based on pure stuff its him. I don't think anybody can consistently match his velocity. Which can be well over 100MPH regularly (when I mean well I mean 100-103). I think there are pitchers that are better and have more in their arsenal but I think its impossible to beat Zumaya's consisten velocity on his pitchers. It's scary. I don't anybody has thrown as fast as he has this year.

http://www.fantasysportstrades.com/joel ... mmer-time/
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:36 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Zumaya for sure has the best pure stuff of any major league, no question.

He has filthy stuff, no doubt, but not the best. Some other guys with filthy stuff that I'd take over Zumaya's stuff - Verlander, Felix, Oswalt, and Rivera come to mind.

Yeah, I say based on pure stuff its him. I don't think anybody can consistently match his velocity. Which can be well over 100MPH regularly (when I mean well I mean 100-103). I think there are pitchers that are better and have more in their arsenal but I think its impossible to beat Zumaya's consisten velocity on his pitchers. It's scary. I don't anybody has thrown as fast as he has this year.

Verlander not only can hit 100+ MPH at any point in the game, he can also throw a 93 MPH fastball, and pretty much anything in between. He also has a wicked changeup and above average curve. Not to mention he is able to do it for 7-8 innings, which Zumaya might be able to do also but we just haven't seen it at the major league level yet (not his fault). I love both of them, and think they're two of the brightest pitching prospects in the game, but IMO Verlander's stuff is slightly better. Zumaya is the prototypical closer though. I have to wonder if players would start catching up with a fastball that doesn't vary too much in speed, after 2-3 turns around the batting order. That's something we may never know though.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:42 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

Verlander not only can hit 100+ MPH at any point in the game, he can also throw a 93 MPH fastball, and pretty much anything in between. He also has a wicked changeup and above average curve. Not to mention he is able to do it for 7-8 innings, which Zumaya might be able to do also but we just haven't seen it at the major league level yet (not his fault). I love both of them, and think they're two of the brightest pitching prospects in the game, but IMO Verlander's stuff is slightly better. Zumaya is the prototypical closer though. I have to wonder if players would start catching up with a fastball that doesn't vary too much in speed, after 2-3 turns around the batting order. That's something we may never know though.

I think Verlander is more polished while Zumaya is a little more raw with slightly better velocity. He did pitch 2 balls to Griffey @104 MPH (no sure bout the gun) which Griffey turned on a hit a grand slam. But I think if Zumaya becomes the closer, and his delivery is more suited imo, I think he'd be dominate right now.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:45 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

I think Verlander is more polished while Zumaya is a little more raw with slightly better velocity. He did pitch 2 balls to Griffey @104 MPH (no sure bout the gun) which Griffey turned on a hit a grand slam. But I think if Zumaya becomes the closer, and his delivery is more suited imo, I think he'd be dominate right now.

I agree. Leyland has done an absolutely superb job of gauging each of the two youngsters and putting them both in to roles where they are best fit. It's only a matter of time until Zumaya is closing...not sure if it will be this year or not, but maybe.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby tomdoyle3 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:45 pm

Zumaya is made for closing, he has the right mentality to close. Yes he is young and doesnt have much experience, but Papelbon is also young and has little experience.
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:06 am

slomo007 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

he's got a nasty curve (think he throws it around 90) and a change-up, but as the announcers like to say, when you're in there for 1 inning you arent going to throw your 3rd best pitch very often.

i think for this year he stays the set-up man, i just dont think there's any way he passes Jones and Rodney for the closers role, and i dont see the Tigers dealing anyone from the pen if they have their eyes on a pennent run

i do think Zumaya will be the futue closer though, he has the stuff and the mentality. i mean how many guys have you seen that would rather come out of the pen than start?

i know he started in AAA, but i worry about fatigue with him more than Verlander and i think he'd have a hard time as a Major League starter over a full season
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:05 pm

It's too soon to pigeonhole him as a closer. He's only 21. He is a reliever right now because that is the way he is currently most valuable to the team. He could still be a future closer, he could still be a future starter. It's all speculation right now. Also, I don't care what Zumaya himself says. Players are generally very fickle. He could easily change his mind by next year. Bottom line is he has the talent to go either way and at only 21, he still has time to eventually settle back in as a starter if that is the direction the team opts to use him.

Also, he's definitely behind Rodney as second in line to be closer. Rodney had a bad game the other night but he still is usually very effective.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers