Zumaya - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Zumaya

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Zumaya

Postby nomar5 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:54 pm

Any chance he gets the closers job in tigertown? seems perfectly fitted for it.
nomar5
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EnFuego » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:00 pm

You should get the closer thread, and I don't think he will get the job. If Jones loses the job, it will then go to Rodney.
EnFuego
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:08 pm

what i've been hearing is that the tigers aren't sure what to do with zumaya. keep him in the pen; convert him to a starter... they haven't decided as of yet.

trouble with having a kid who is just good.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:13 pm

not this year...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:17 pm

Zumaya for sure has the best pure stuff of any major league, no question. I think if Rodney is dealt to a team looking for a closer and Jones continues being Jones then I like Zumaya's chances.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:19 pm

Matthias wrote:what i've been hearing is that the tigers aren't sure what to do with zumaya. keep him in the pen; convert him to a starter... they haven't decided as of yet.

If this is true, and they are not sure, you would think they would want to keep him fairly stretched out. But, their actions are not following this plan. For example, last night, he pitched .2 innings after getting out of a bad jam and keeping the Tigers up 3-1 after the 7th. In comes Rodney, who has been good also, but if they are trying to stretch Zumaya out, wouldn't they have left him in?

I think they have made their decision, and he will be their future closer.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:21 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Matthias wrote:what i've been hearing is that the tigers aren't sure what to do with zumaya. keep him in the pen; convert him to a starter... they haven't decided as of yet.

If this is true, and they are not sure, you would think they would want to keep him fairly stretched out. But, their actions are not following this plan. For example, last night, he pitched .2 innings after getting out of a bad jam and keeping the Tigers up 3-1 after the 7th. In comes Rodney, who has been good also, but if they are trying to stretch Zumaya out, wouldn't they have left him in?

no, not saying put him into the rotation this year. saying for next.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:21 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Zumaya for sure has the best pure stuff of any major league, no question.

The best stuff of any major leaguer? :-?

He has filthy stuff, no doubt, but not the best. Some other guys with filthy stuff that I'd take over Zumaya's stuff - Verlander, Felix, Oswalt, and Rivera come to mind.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:23 pm

Matthias wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

no, not saying put him into the rotation this year. saying for next.

Well, if that's the case, then this year it shouldn't matter if he's pitching in 1 inning intervals in the 7th, 8th, or 9th innings. I think later in the year, if Jones' ERA doesn't improve, he'll be the closer with Rodney setting him up. If you watch him, it's clear that he would be an absolutely dominant closer.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:23 pm

Although this is interesting (and contradicts my earlier stuff but I did a little nosing around... it's from about two weeks ago):

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/stories/ind ... xml&coll=1

Even if the Tigers do look to the bullpen for a starter, Joel Zumaya doesn't want it to be him. Zumaya told John Keating of FSN Detroit, and repeated Thursday, that he has no interest in going back to starting. "I feel the relief spot's my spot,'' Zumaya said
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers