"Good" vs "Bad" Reality TV - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

"Good" vs "Bad" Reality TV

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"Good" vs "Bad" Reality TV

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:50 pm

So I've found myself in somewhat of a dilemma, and it comes to my opinions on reality television. I'm a self-described reality TV hater; I feel like reality shows insult my intelligence by passing off silly plot twists and bickering between bikini models as "reality." I feel like eating spiders is not a fear, but something I just don't want to do, for various reasons. I feel like an amazing race results in ME winning money after hitting the trifecta. And a survivor is someone who gets attacked by bears and lives to tell about it. My American Idol: Abraham Lincoln (duh!).

But here's the thing; there are clearly two different classes of reality TV; the "good" and the "bad." Notice the quotes; that's for effect, because to me, they're all bad, but only some of them are "bad." Get it? No... well here it is, when's do networks get the big TV audiences? The fall, the winter, part of the spring... but summer is a ratings black hole as children and their families discover the outdoors and that reality (not "reality") is actually a lot more fun, albeit boring. Enter the summer shows; a network's desperate attempt to lure viewers of Lost and Desperate Housewives away from watching all of last seasons episodes... again.

You see, the "good" reality shows are on when people are actually watching television; when it's cold as <insert expletive of your choice> outside and people want to watch good looking people fight with each other to feel better about themselves. You know, your Survivors, your American Idols, your Apprentices (Martha excluded). These are the reality shows people watch and watch consistently each year.

But what about the "bad?" Well, here we are, "bad" reality TV season is starting and I've found that I religiously watch almost every single one of them. Last Comic Standing was on last night and I was there booing and cheering along with the celebrity comedy gurus. So You Think You Can Dance, American Idol's red-headed illegitimate stepchild is so bad, I can't stop watching... like if a plane were to crash into a train while on a bridge or something like that. What's next? Only two of the most ridiculous reality shows on; Hell's Kitchen which features a british chef whose attitude and profanity would make Simon Cowell simultaneously blush and pee his pants. And finally, Rock Star which featured legitimately talented people auditioning to be lead singer of auto-erotic asphyxiation-stricken INXS. This year it's looking to be even more ridiculous. I read that no one even watched the show until people found out Brooke Burke was the host; man is she dumb, she just kind of twiddles her hair and acts dumb, but hey, isn't that was reality TV is all about?

So there ya have it, my confession and Cu-certified post that's too long and not even worth the read. Discuss guys, I miss it here!

;-D ;-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:06 pm

i just like to flip it on for a few minutes to see if any of the chicks have nice boobs

...although i will admit to watching Survivor

i think my all time favorite reality show was FOX's People v. Animals. they had a chimp race a Military guy in an obstacle course. the military guy smoked him, but that chimp never gave up and walked proudly across the finish line :,-(
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:23 pm

I can watch some reality TV that is just a skills comp or talent contest. Singing (American Idol), Stand up (Last comic standing) or dancing (So you think you can dance) - all at least have some element of skill. I don't like the blooper or bad performance episodes b/c those are just repetitive and played out. But the good performances stand on their own as good performances.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby ironman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:51 pm

I'm not sure if it counts as reality TV but the wife and I were flipping channels last night and came across a show on Fuse called "Pants Off Dance Off" Holy Shnikeys! Its like watching a disturbing 30 minute train wreck. We couldn't look away. :-o
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby ironman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:52 pm

I actually like the reality shows TLC has put together. We watch Miami Ink, Shalom in the Home, and Honey We're Killing the Kids.

Also fun to watch sometimes is Dog the Bounty Hunter on A&E.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:10 pm

The reason those TLC reality shows are more entertaining is because they seem a lot less staged than their network counterparts and a lot more, dare I say, 'real.'

Did I ever mention that I'm also a Cash Cab junkie? Yeah, the show wore out its welcome with me by showing two new episodes a day that in a month I had seen them all. I hope they make a new season...
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CadensDad » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:17 pm

I love COPS which is the first reality tv show. It never fails to se how stupid some people can be, plus it makes me respects cops even more when I see how people talk trash to them, runf rom them, lie to them, it's always fun to watch.

There has been a few real reality shows I liked,

The first 2 survivor seasons where good. I liked the teaming up and the voting part, really made "going back to camp" more fun when you know 3 of the 8 people there tried to get rid of you. But after the 2nd season it became boring.

The Joe Schmo show was another good one I liked, had a nice twist to it with only 1 person being real and the others are all actors.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:26 pm

The first reality show was actually "This Is Your Life" (1952).
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:05 pm

Coppermine I miss you O:-)

Anyways, reality tv is absolutely horrible.

I watched a season or two of American Idol but then soon realized that they actually all suck as musicians and can only sing what they are given.

I must confess to have probably seen every episode of what not to wear. That JAP Girl and the Tall gay guy take some ugly woman and dress her up and make her less ugly. You see my girlfriend likes this show therefore I have watched it out of the corner of my eyes a few times. I enjoy when they take skanky milfs with big hooters and turn them into better looking milfs with big hooters. The show is boring when the woman looks like a freak show and you know there will be no good to come.

My favorite reality show's are Antiques Road Show which might be the best show on TV ever in the history of the universe

And

Joe Schmo show...oh man 1 guy is real the rest are actors and hot one's at that. Man I like them alot.

Molly was super hot

I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:10 pm

acsguitar wrote:Coppermine I miss you O:-)

Anyways, reality tv is absolutely horrible.

I must confess to have probably seen every episode of what not to wear. That JAP Girl and the Tall gay guy take some ugly woman and dress her up and make her less ugly. You see my girlfriend likes this show therefore I have watched it out of the corner of my eyes a few times. I enjoy when they take skanky milfs with big hooters and turn them into better looking milfs with big hooters. The show is boring when the woman looks like a freak show and you know there will be no good to come.

ASC, Noooooooooooooo! Never admit you like What Not to Wear!!! My girlfriend watches it religiously and, like you, I've been watching it out the corner of my eye, occassionally complaining about how much it "sucks" as to reaffirm my manliness. But even I have to admit the show is entertaining and, for a reality show, is certainly based on reality. It also makes me feel good about myself because most people really suck at dressing themselves.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk