Is Zambrano's arm going to fall off? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Zambrano's arm going to fall off?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby broomulack » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:30 pm

hybrid wrote:
broomulack wrote:
hybrid wrote:Well, Livan doesn't throw nearly as hard or put as much stress into his delivery.

It's not throwing hard that stresses the arm, it's curves, sliders and all the fancy stuff.

Zambrano will be just fine.

And you don't think Zambrano puts stress on his arm? :-?

Dude, of course. Pitching in general is an unnatural movement for the arm. The human arm was not created to throw a ball that weighs a few ounces in such a violent motion.

My point was that throwing harder doesn't make a pitcher more of an injury risk than a guy who doesn't throw as hard.
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:37 pm

Agreed and maybe I didn't make my point clear enough before. The pitches he throws and to put as much stress as he does, it's quite a bit different from Livan. Who is for the most part a soft tosser and doesn't have the stress partly due to that. So in saying Zambrano is fine, is well not that true as no one really knows what will happen considering how he pitches.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby johnsamo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:01 pm

The greatest indicator for a pitcher on the likelihood of future injuries is a history of past injuries.

That Zambrano has consistently gone out there every 5th day his entire career is an extremely good indication that he's got a rubber arm. Not all pitchers are born equal. Guys like Nolan Ryan threw over 300 pitchings a year in their 20s and just kept on pitching for decades. I think only once in his entire career did he have major arm trouble and he missed a half a season, and he came back and threw just like he did before the injury... Same with Pedro, based on mechanics, he's got no business staying as healthy as he has for so long.

In other words, the "100 pitch" line is an arbitrary number and every pitcher is different.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:16 pm

Zambrano has a lot of mileage on his arm. I"m quite surprised actually his arm has held up so far. He's only 25 and no one in MLB has endured as much workload so it only makes sense that it will catch up to him at some point. Maybe not this year or the next but it will.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J.C.Fighter » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:06 pm

Yoda wrote:Zambrano has a lot of mileage on his arm. I"m quite surprised actually his arm has held up so far. He's only 25 and no one in MLB has endured as much workload so it only makes sense that it will catch up to him at some point. Maybe not this year or the next but it will.

Yeah, I agree Mr. Former Major league pitcher :-°
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:12 pm

He is still young and everyone's body reacts a different way to stress. I might be a little concerned considering he also pitched in the WBC. In the baseball prospectus he is second in Pitcher Abuse Points to Schmidt but I would be happy to have either one of them on my team.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/sortable/index.php?cid=26922
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tomdoyle3 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:53 pm

johnsamo wrote:The greatest indicator for a pitcher on the likelihood of future injuries is a history of past injuries.

That Zambrano has consistently gone out there every 5th day his entire career is an extremely good indication that he's got a rubber arm. Not all pitchers are born equal. Guys like Nolan Ryan threw over 300 pitchings a year in their 20s and just kept on pitching for decades. I think only once in his entire career did he have major arm trouble and he missed a half a season, and he came back and threw just like he did before the injury... Same with Pedro, based on mechanics, he's got no business staying as healthy as he has for so long.

In other words, the "100 pitch" line is an arbitrary number and every pitcher is different.

that pretty much sums it up right there.. not all pitchers are the same, and he has been doing it for a long time without any problem, there is no reason to think he can't continue doing it.
Last edited by tomdoyle3 on Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:36 pm

brewcrew4you wrote:He's been a horse to this point in his career, but I don't want to own any pitcher Dusty manages, unless I get him at a discount.

Call me when you find an idiot who'll trade away a guy with a near sub 3 ERA and the league leader in strikeouts for a discount. Its great getting Zambrano off suckers like that. Every year theres some concern about it, and nothing ever results of it besides top 10 pitching numbers. After a while you'd think people would learn.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:38 pm

Yoda wrote:Zambrano has a lot of mileage on his arm. I"m quite surprised actually his arm has held up so far. He's only 25 and no one in MLB has endured as much workload so it only makes sense that it will catch up to him at some point. Maybe not this year or the next but it will.

You and Slomo are like the co-presidents of the Zambrano haters association :-b
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:00 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:

You and Slomo are like the co-presidents of the Zambrano haters association :-b

He's the president. I'm vice president.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers