Melky Cabrera - NYY - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Melky Cabrera - NYY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Melky Cabrera - NYY

Postby waterproof » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:11 am

Any thoughts on this guy?

Batting 2nd in the order, and it seems like he could be around for a while (or at least until Matsui gets back).

Good fielding (he robbed Manny last night), but how's his bat?
waterproof
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dyuen87 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:16 am

He'll hit for a decent avg and OBP. He doesnt have great speed or a lot of power. He wont be in the 2 hole wen Jeter comes back, but in deeper league he's worth a roster spot.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:24 pm

dyuen87 wrote:He'll hit for a decent avg and OBP. He doesnt have great speed or a lot of power. He wont be in the 2 hole wen Jeter comes back, but in deeper league he's worth a roster spot.

I've heard he might be.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby waterproof » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:33 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I've heard he might be.

From Yahoo:
Jun 6 Mark Feinsand, of NewYork.Yankees.MLB.com, reports New York Yankees OF Melky Cabrera could stay in the second spot in the lineup, even when SS Derek Jeter (hand) returns from injury. Cabrera has started there five times and he has leadoff twice. When he has hit at the top of the order, Cabrera is 12-for-37, with eight RBI.

Thinking about it, I doubt Melky can keep the 2 spot. I can't see Jeter not batting early, and the Yanks have too many bats to push them all back for Cabrera... But who knows?
waterproof
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MMoNeY24 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:06 pm

waterproof wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:I've heard he might be.

From Yahoo:
Jun 6 Mark Feinsand, of NewYork.Yankees.MLB.com, reports New York Yankees OF Melky Cabrera could stay in the second spot in the lineup, even when SS Derek Jeter (hand) returns from injury. Cabrera has started there five times and he has leadoff twice. When he has hit at the top of the order, Cabrera is 12-for-37, with eight RBI.

Thinking about it, I doubt Melky can keep the 2 spot. I can't see Jeter not batting early, and the Yanks have too many bats to push them all back for Cabrera... But who knows?

It would most likely push Jeter to the 3 hole when he's not a typical 3 hitter. I can't see pushing A-Rod or Giambi to 5th either, but if Melky hits, they may try it out.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dyuen87 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Jeter will bat in the upper part of the lineup and i really cant see him hitting #3, even though with Torre managing it's possible.

If Melky does bat second, it'll bump up his and Jeter's fantasy value a bit.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:48 pm

Melky can hit, just not for power yet. His OBP has been over .400 numerous times over the season. He's got a lot more patience than Cano, but has yet to showcase much power.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Melky stay in the 2 spot with Jeter hitting 3rd, but he's going to need to start hitting better. These next two games will go a long way toward determining his place in the order.

Quite simply, you hit your best hitter 3rd and thus far, Jeter has been their best hitter and has the highest BA w/RISP on the team. If anyone doesn't think Jeter could hit 3rd this year, I think they're sadly mistaken.

And as long as Matsui OR Sheffield is out, Melky will be starting, unless something goes terribly wrong.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Prooks25 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:09 pm

1. Damon
2. Melky
3. Jeter
4. Giambi
5. Arod
6. Cano
7. Posada
8. Phillips
9. Bernie

Something like that, point is, I have no problem with ARod getting pushed down to the 5 hole, he's horrendous with guys on base and in the clutch. I much rather have Mr. Clutch Jeter in the important 3 hole, and a guy who always gets on base in Giambi in the 4 hole.

If Melky can keep getting on base, he will be a very good 2 hitter behind Damon who also always gets on. Jeter and Giambi can drive them in all day long.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bluejkrew » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:33 pm

Speaking of Melky, would you guys drop Bonds to get him in a H2H league? I'm considering it because i need runs, and starting to get impatient on Bonds.

I posted this in DTK&W, but got no response.
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Smee » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:35 pm

Prooks25 wrote:1. Damon
2. Melky
3. Jeter
4. Giambi
5. Arod
6. Cano
7. Posada
8. Phillips
9. Bernie

Something like that, point is, I have no problem with ARod getting pushed down to the 5 hole, he's horrendous with guys on base and in the clutch. I much rather have Mr. Clutch Jeter in the important 3 hole, and a guy who always gets on base in Giambi in the 4 hole.

If Melky can keep getting on base, he will be a very good 2 hitter behind Damon who also always gets on. Jeter and Giambi can drive them in all day long.

I really don't think that there is such a thing as "clutch". I see each player performing to their capability in every situation. The term "clutch" is applied by a partial observer, not the impartial one.

As far as the lineup goes, I think it could work as Jeter has been on in the zone this year, I would see Giambi getting bumped to the 5 hole and AROD staying in his role as cleanup. Not for any good reason other then to avoid the sore egos involved.
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers