Young Guns: Sell high? Buy low? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Young Guns: Sell high? Buy low?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TurdFerguson » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:21 pm

No way you sale Liriano high.Weaver is the main one I would sale high followed by Verlander
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:24 pm

Sell high on Hamels? Are you kidding? This guy, when healthy, already has one of the best changeups in the league. Hamels is premier talent, as he develops this eason his K ratio will be where Kazmir's is most likely.

Cain's minor league stats are absolutely insane. I would likely hold onto Cain because he seems to be gettin g better after working on the mechanics, I would also hold because of the low value as of now.

Verlander is kinda like Cain, as someone noted above, because him, Cain, and Billingsley were always compared as "close aces", they were alwasy regarded as hand in hand. Verlander's wokload bothers me, his stuff does not however. I would hold/buy low on him because of the weak division and K potential, also the offense is getting better which translates into more wins.

Felix is a buy low candidate, he has a huge ballpark, the offense is coming around with Beltre and Sexson, he also Ks a good amount of major leaguers even at his age.

Liriano is a tought one. His value is high because of the wins and K ratios, but he got those as a reliever. People cannot buy low because his stats are good, cannot sell high because all his stats came as a non-starter. I would just hold on. The Ks are good, the offense is weak, and the stuff is electric.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby cordscords » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:45 pm

If there is 1 thing I know, it's that most rookie stud starters come up and look like they are a future HOF pitcher, only to go on a major suckfest at somepoint.

You just shouldnt expect the world out of rookies, and if you can get a guy like Dontrelle Willis for any of those guys (who has quietly gone 5 straight starts giving up 2 ER or less) you should be doing a dance.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:54 pm

Hamels-wait until he's healthy then try to sell him, but the sell high time has long gone. Might as well keep him.

Felix-buy low

Verlander-sell high, way too soft an schedule. Had endurance problem in the past.

Cain-no such thing as buy low now that he has string together some good games

Liriano-keep, relief time should keep his arm fresh.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:31 pm

I'm just happy I drafted Cain in all five leagues. If you can still get him cheap, he's a great buy-low. Verlander and Liriano seem like keep candidates. If you can sell Hammels for value, I say do it.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:39 pm

I see Cole Hamels as a great sell high candidate, at least once his value rises a little more. The risk of injury is just too much to keep him on your team, and Phili will not let him go deep into games because the risk of injury, for at least this season. While he may get great ERA and WHIP i think you could get better value by trading him.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers