Everything HGH (AKA The Plot Thickens) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Everything HGH (AKA The Plot Thickens)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Everything HGH (AKA The Plot Thickens)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:23 am

Now eveybody is doing Meth too :-t

Rotoworld

Jason Grimsley told federal investigators he used illegal performance-enhancing drugs, according to court documents unsealed late Tuesday.
Grimsley was earlier cooperating in an investigation into steroid use after receiving a package containing two kits of human growth hormone April 19 at his Scottsdale home. Grimsley also told investigators that amphetamines were used "like aspirin" in major league clubhouses. He said some major league clubhouses served two types of coffee: with amphetamines or without and that Latino players were cited as a major source of amphetamines, as were major leaguers on California teams who could easily travel to Mexico to buy the drugs. While Grimsley reportedly named names during the investigation, none of those comments were released today. Jun. 6 - 10:52 pm et
Source: Arizona Republic
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trot Nixon » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:32 am

I wanna know who he turns in!
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:04 am

Ah those damn Latinos, I knew there were all to fault the down fall of drugs in baseball. ;-7

Anyways he must be telling the truth right? I mean it's not like he has much to gain from lying. Because if he used illegal performing drugs he must of been even more pathetic than his numbers show over the years. He is basdically admitting he never had any major league talent at all. ;-)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:23 am

ut ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:30 am

I'd hate to see Grimsley without the help :-o

Also why do those Latinos ruin everything?

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby jealousblues » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:50 am

I thought amphetimines and "greenies" were used in MLB for decades...?
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby johnsamo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:46 am

Micky Mantle was given amphetamine shots late in his career, although he thought it was vitamins. Up to the mid 60s, amphetamines wasn't really thought to be all that bad and was kind of chic in wealthy circles, even JFK got shots. They were usually adminstered as shots at the time. It really wasn't until the late 60s and 70s that the drug had to go underground a bit more, but was common since the 70s in baseball....

I think since advent of (A) better conditioning, (B) cushy private team airplanes that allow players to sleep overnight on flights... and (C) the knowledge that they are addictive has curbed their use a lot, or at least driven it much more underground.

There is also an argument to be made that the extra energy benefit isn't worth the effects it has on your mental faculties.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby calecalo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:54 am

Amphetamines are the topic that NO former-player turned baseball analyst (read: All the ESPN Boys) want to talk about, because they've been a HUGE part of the game since the late 70's.

The ESPN crew is perfectly willing to shame Bonds and his ilk for their alleged steriod abuse, but trust me... You won't hear Brantley or Kruk throwing down the gauntlet on this issue because it was part of the game that they played. I'm not saying that Kruk and Brantley took them (although they probably did), but most of their teammates certainly did.

No "Holier-than-thou" analysis of this issue. Former players will downplay the use, not villify users.
calecalo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby johnsamo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:55 am

You have to remember, up until the mid 80s, with the exception of heroin (which athletes really can't do because it's a downer), drug use didn't have nearly the level of social stigma it has now. For one thing, even cocaine wasn't nearly as potent back then. It was crack and the increasing violence of the drug trade that really started the legal and societal crackdown on it... Plus the eventual knowledge that cocaine for a lot of people was an extremely addictive drug.

So in other words, in the 70s, popping a greenie before a game was no big deal.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:57 am

Didn't a Det pitcher in the 70's, I think he won the Cy Young that year, admit to pitching while on them?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers