Matt Kemp - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Matt Kemp

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby cobbs87 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:14 pm

what do you think about dropping bonds for him? For one I hate bonds and he was drafted for me in an auto draft because I couldn't make the draft day. Also he really hasn't been that good. I could also drop Francouer or Willy Taverez. Steals are key however.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buminabox » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:50 pm

cobbs87 wrote:what do you think about dropping bonds for him? For one I hate bonds and he was drafted for me in an auto draft because I couldn't make the draft day. Also he really hasn't been that good. I could also drop Francouer or Willy Taverez. Steals are key however.

I would drop Bonds. Besides the fact that he misses about three games a week, he isn't producing when he does play. Id rather have Kemp.
buminabox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

RUN to Pick up M.Kemp - Read G.Little's Most Recent Comments

Postby Diggs » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:13 am

Dodgers: Kemp makes big impression on Little

Grady Little is too young to remember Joe DiMaggio playing baseball, but he knows enough about the Yankee Clipper to know he possessed every single skill needed to be a dominant player. When he looks at Dodgers rookie Matt Kemp, he imagines another DiMaggio.

"Just in the fact that this guy has all the tools it takes to play the game of baseball," Little said. "A lot of top prospects you like to think they have three of the major tools to play, maybe four. But this kid can execute all five of the tools, above average."

When it comes to contemporary players who flew through the minor leagues and made an immediate impact in the majors, Little said Kemp reminds him of Atlanta star Chipper Jones. Little was in the Atlanta organization when Jones was being groomed.

"You knew (Jones) was going to be a player from day one he showed up at spring training," Little said. "You just didn't want to do anything to slow down his progress to reach the major leagues. And that's what I see in (Kemp)."

Kemp was humbled by Little's compliment, although he hopes in a few years some youngster coming to the big leagues gets compared to him.

"I just want to make a name for myself," Kemp said. "It's nice to be compared to players like that, but I haven't done anything compared to them."

Kemp, who was promoted by the Dodgers all the way from Double-A Jacksonville a little over a week ago, was back in the starting lineup Wednesday against the Mets batting cleanup.

Coming into the game, he was batting .345 with four home runs and 10 RBI in just six games, and Little had no hesitation penciling in Kemp's name at the No. 4 spot in the order.

"I feel comfortable with that kid anywhere on that lineup card, to tell you the truth," Little said. "With what he's been able to do since he's been here, you just get excited about watching him play again."
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: RUN to Pick up M.Kemp - Read G.Little's Most Recent Comments

Postby jdsun1 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:20 am

Diggs wrote:Dodgers: Kemp makes big impression on Little

Grady Little is too young to remember Joe DiMaggio playing baseball, but he knows enough about the Yankee Clipper to know he possessed every single skill needed to be a dominant player. When he looks at Dodgers rookie Matt Kemp, he imagines another DiMaggio.

"Just in the fact that this guy has all the tools it takes to play the game of baseball," Little said. "A lot of top prospects you like to think they have three of the major tools to play, maybe four. But this kid can execute all five of the tools, above average."

When it comes to contemporary players who flew through the minor leagues and made an immediate impact in the majors, Little said Kemp reminds him of Atlanta star Chipper Jones. Little was in the Atlanta organization when Jones was being groomed.

"You knew (Jones) was going to be a player from day one he showed up at spring training," Little said. "You just didn't want to do anything to slow down his progress to reach the major leagues. And that's what I see in (Kemp)."

Kemp was humbled by Little's compliment, although he hopes in a few years some youngster coming to the big leagues gets compared to him.

"I just want to make a name for myself," Kemp said. "It's nice to be compared to players like that, but I haven't done anything compared to them."

Kemp, who was promoted by the Dodgers all the way from Double-A Jacksonville a little over a week ago, was back in the starting lineup Wednesday against the Mets batting cleanup.

Coming into the game, he was batting .345 with four home runs and 10 RBI in just six games, and Little had no hesitation penciling in Kemp's name at the No. 4 spot in the order.

"I feel comfortable with that kid anywhere on that lineup card, to tell you the truth," Little said. "With what he's been able to do since he's been here, you just get excited about watching him play again."

Nice article. Very positive for those who already ran the race for Kemp.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Who has better upside?

Postby jdsun1 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:31 am

bigwords wrote:Drop Botts for Kemp? Rotoworld says Kemp can't hit a slider or curve.

That's what I'm afraid of. He took some ugly looking cuts that I saw and K'd.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:40 am

Reading between the lines, does anyone see where it says he's not going to use a platoon? Can we assume that?
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MrSnider » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:23 am

Yeah, what's the projection on this kid for playing time and where's he going to hit in the lineup?
MrSnider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Diggs » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:35 am

Well,

Grady says that he feels comfortable with batting Kemp anywhere in the lineup due to his power/speed combo, and he also is quoted as saying he doesn't want to do anything that can hinder his development.

Sending him back down to the minors after a display like this, or relegating him to the bench are both things that can hamper his development. I expect to see Kemp get regular (probably not EVERYDAY, but regular) playing time.

HTH.
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:42 am

the question is...is he going to start most games or platoon?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:39 am

i think that i heard the braves announcers talk about him last week....and i am pretty sure that they said good things about him.

but is this rotoworld blurb true? because it kinda puts a damper on the earlier post...

Matt Kemp - Outfielder

Matt Kemp went 2-for-4 and hit his fourth homer Tuesday in a win over the Mets.
bIt doesn't take much more than an average curve or slider to make Kemp look silly, but when he gets something straight, he's feasting at the plate. We're guessing Tom Glavine, Wednesday's scheduled starter, was taking notes. Jun. 7 - 2:01 am et
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates