Blown Save? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Blown Save?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Blown Save?

Postby Knights » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:24 pm

Ok, like most people I usually get annoyed with those question about save/non-saves when a closer comes in for the 9th inning and for one of many reasons doesn't get credit for the save... blah blah blah... but this is a different question that I'm hoping someone to help me out with:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=260606101

Why does Scott Downs get a blown save when he only pitch in the SIXTH INNING? How is that a save situation?
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:27 pm

He blew the lead...simple as that. You can get a 3+ inning save so it was a save situation.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:30 pm

A Blown Save, I believe, is anytime a pitcher gives up the lead he inherited from another pitcher. It doesn't matter what inning they pitch in. For instance, a few days ago Cincy's David Weathers came in the game during the 7th or 8th innings and blew the save, then the Reds regained the lead, Coffey then blew another save.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 119)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:32 pm

I do not think you can get a blown save/save in innings 1-5. If the starter does not go 5, he is not eligible for a win, so it would not be a save situation per se. I could be wrong, but I have never seen a pitcher get a win and a save in the same game.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:39 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I do not think you can get a blown save/save in innings 1-5. If the starter does not go 5, he is not eligible for a win, so it would not be a save situation per se. I could be wrong, but I have never seen a pitcher get a win and a save in the same game.

You may be right, but I saw Dessens get a save a few days ago pitching 3.1 innings. So a save can be more than 3 innings i guess.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:42 pm

okay, i got it.

Wikipedia

....A blown save (abbreviated BS) is charged to a pitcher who enters a game in a situation which permits him to earn a save (a 'save situation'), but who instead allows the tying run (and perhaps the go-ahead run) to score. As with any other similar situation, if the pitcher's team does not come back to win the game, said pitcher will be charged with both the loss and a 'blown save.' The blown save is not an officially recognized statistic, but many sources keep track of them. Blown saves have been tracked since 1988. Once a pitcher blows a save, he is no longer eligible to earn a save in that game (since the lead that he was trying to "save" has disappeared), although he can earn a win if his team regains the lead. For this reason, most closers' records include few wins. Closers make the majority of their appearances with their team ahead, so a win usually includes a blown save.

If a pitcher enters a game in a save situation (for a team leading by three runs or less) in an inning which is not the last (e.g. in a regulation 9-inning home game, pitching the top of the 8th), and his team later scores one or more run(s) to extend their lead beyond three runs, then as long as the same pitcher pitches until the end of the game, he is still credited with the save. As the various roles of relief pitchers have changed since the 1960s, closers who often pitch two or more innings have become increasingly rare; although exceptions remain.

A pitcher also cannot create his own save situation. For instance, if he enters the game with a lead too large for a save, he would not make himself eligible for a save by surrendering enough runs to contract the lead to within save range. It must be a save situation when he enters the game, or he will not be able to earn one.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:45 pm

Abosultely as per the rules. 3+ innings will get you a save regardless of the score so long as you keep the lead and are not the winning pitcher. I would think you can't get a blown save if you come in in a win situation like a 7-6 score in the 4th and manage to blow it.

SAVES FOR RELIEF PITCHERS
Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
(a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
(b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces); or
(c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby broomulack » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:22 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:I do not think you can get a blown save/save in innings 1-5. If the starter does not go 5, he is not eligible for a win, so it would not be a save situation per se. I could be wrong, but I have never seen a pitcher get a win and a save in the same game.

You may be right, but I saw Dessens get a save a few days ago pitching 3.1 innings. So a save can be more than 3 innings i guess.

This is because you can get a save anytime after the 5th inning. As for a blown save, without having read any of the big definitions above, the simple way of saying it is that if a pitcher is put into a game in what is considered a save situation and gives up the lead, it's a blown save.

Simple.
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Knights » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:44 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:He blew the lead...simple as that. You can get a 3+ inning save so it was a save situation.

Ok, that makes sense. However........... then why didn't Jason Frasor get a blown save in this case: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=260607101

He came in for the 7th inning, relieving Cassey Jassen, with the Jays leading 4-1... so that was a potential 3-inning save situation for Frasor, and he gave up the lead.

Shouldn't that be a blown save?
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby bdrotoronto » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:48 pm

Knights wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:He blew the lead...simple as that. You can get a 3+ inning save so it was a save situation.

Ok, that makes sense. However........... then why didn't Jason Frasor get a blown save in this case: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=260607101

He came in for the 7th inning, relieving Cassey Jassen, with the Jays leading 4-1... so that was a potential 3-inning save situation for Frasor, and he gave up the lead.

Shouldn't that be a blown save?

um, if you read the boxscore he actually didn't give up the lead.. :-?
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers