Best way to counter this strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best way to counter this strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:35 am

klvrdude wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Easy, start spot starting pitchers everyday. Perlick does a good job picking spot starters that might be available off FA in the Who to start forum. The huge amount of stats you'll compile should let you win you some of those categories.

I guess I'm real stupid, b/c I don't see your logic...

Playing a lot of SP will:
*You'll should win W and K
*CG is a wash, although you may get one if you're lucky
*You'll surely loose SV, HR, K/9
*You'll likely loose ERA and WHIP

I'm betting you win ERA & WHIP if you play matchups. Dude in my league last year did it and his era was usually right at 4 and his WHIP wasn't bad either. Plus, if those Closers blow some save, then you'll for sure win era.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:40 am

klvrdude wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Easy, start spot starting pitchers everyday. Perlick does a good job picking spot starters that might be available off FA in the Who to start forum. The huge amount of stats you'll compile should let you win you some of those categories.

I guess I'm real stupid, b/c I don't see your logic...

Playing a lot of SP will:
*You'll should win W and K
*CG is a wash, although you may get one if you're lucky
*You'll surely loose SV, HR, K/9
*You'll likely loose ERA and WHIP

You're right. He's wrong. The number of ratio categories which you have make the churning pitcher strategy unfruitful.

I like your idea of just starting Santana & closers/middle relievers. Hopefully, his start is early in the week so that if he doesn't perform quite up to task you'll have an additional chance to even it out with someone else.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:46 am

Matthias wrote:I like your idea of just starting Santana & closers/middle relievers. Hopefully, his start is early in the week so that if he doesn't perform quite up to task you'll have an additional chance to even it out with someone else.

Me too ;-D I'd go with Santana and your closers. Your going to want to evaluate your chances after Santana's start
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:38 am

johnsamo wrote:Another reason why H2H is just plain stupid when the roto option is available.

Yeah, who would ever want to play a style that takes more strategy and requires you to adjust the way you play and actually make changes based on matchups and who you are playing...where's the fun in that when you could just set your lineup for a month and not touch it.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby tianyi86 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:05 am

Start ur top sp and play matchup. You win wins, and ks, for sure. You might even win cg.

K/9 you can win as well. Alot of closers are not performing to expectation in strikeouts. If you have pedro, zambrano, santana, or any of the big strikeout pitchers, you are set for this category.

Currently, alot of closers are imploding and if any of them give up 2-3 runs, its gg and you win.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mikhayl » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:14 am

dyuen87 wrote:actually if it's a 6x6 H2H league or more, with a low minimum innings pitched per week, an all closer stratedgy works very well, especially if they have top-shelf closers than rarely blow up. It's pretty hard to counter it, just try to win the Cats you can.

That's especially true given the way this particular league is set up (SV, HRA, K/9, and WHIP). The guy with 6 closers picked the right strategy on draft day
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby swyck » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:30 pm

johnsamo wrote:Another reason why H2H is just plain stupid when the roto option is available.

Yeah. We wouldnt want anyone to try a different STRATEGY to win the week would we? No, lets just sit there and compile stats instead. }:-)
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Matthias » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:28 pm

swyck wrote:

Yeah. We wouldnt want anyone to try a different STRATEGY to win the week would we? No, lets just sit there and compile stats instead. }:-)

If I want strategy, I play Risk.

If I want to test my baseball knowledge, I play Roto.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shmolex » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:43 pm

mikhayl wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:actually if it's a 6x6 H2H league or more, with a low minimum innings pitched per week, an all closer stratedgy works very well, especially if they have top-shelf closers than rarely blow up. It's pretty hard to counter it, just try to win the Cats you can.

That's especially true given the way this particular league is set up (SV, HRA, K/9, and WHIP). The guy with 6 closers picked the right strategy on draft day

he didn't do this on draft day. His team was relatively normal. He just recently traded his pitchers for closers.

I just checked the week I'm playing him, and if the twins' rotation stays on schedule, I get a 2 week start from santana vs houston and the cubs, so I'll have options if santana doesn't do well early. ;-D
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers