Prospect draft: Go for Hochevar? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Prospect draft: Go for Hochevar?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:09 pm

eazyb81 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
NatsFan10 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Zack Greinke is(was) a can't miss prospect and a ton other were considered very good prospect and none of them really succeeded for a prolong time as far as I remember. I'd much much much rather have even proven A+ guys like Adenhart, Garza than Hochevar at this point.

With that said, I hope Hochevar pays off

Well, one, Greinke is far from a bust at this point. He had a great breakthrough appearance in 04, obviously an awful 05 which appears like it was due in part to his psychological issues, and is looking good so far in AA. He is still only 22 and has ace stuff and command, so I am FAR from ready to give up on him.

Two, is your decision to put Adenhart and Garza above Hochevar at this point based PURELY on what organization Hochevar is with now? If so, I think that is pretty narrow-minded. Hochevar isn't a high school pitcher, he is a very advanced college "plus" pitcher that is not going to need much development. Let's at least judge him and the rest of the pitchers on their own individual ability rather than subjective factors.

the decision is not purely on the organization at this point, but if you are a Royals fan you have to wonder how Hochevar will work out(as I'm typing this, a few other names popped up in my head, Chris George, Kyle Snyder. Ugh.). And who said Adenhart and Garza don't have ability? Garza was a first round draft pick and is up to AA now and is doing excellent(1.90 ERA, 6/30 bb/k in 23.2 innings, 0.72WHIP). Adenhart isn't doing as well but before he had TJ right after high school he was just as hyped as Homer Bailey and he's in good hand in the Angel's system.

First off, my family is from KC and I can help you continue your list with names such as Colt Griffin, Jimmy Gobble, Mike Stodolka, Jeff Austin, Jim Pittsley.......i'll be here all day.

However, my point is that we should judge the pitchers based solely on their individual ability. And I never said Adenhart or Garza don't have ability, I just feel that Hochevar has more.

are you also NatsFan10? Just curious. :-?

Anyway, we'll see in 2-3 years, maybe as early as next year. If history has taught(SP?) us anything it's that baseball's #1 pick don't even have a 50/50 chance of paying out(ask Padres fans how they feel about Bush).

We'll see...

Any input hybrid?

On another note: Greinke is not done, he'll have a great future ahead of him if he ever get his "personal" problem straightened out.

As to Gobble, he probably should be in the rotation right now and I think he could be a good end of rotation guy in the future.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eazyb81 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:22 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
NatsFan10 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Zack Greinke is(was) a can't miss prospect and a ton other were considered very good prospect and none of them really succeeded for a prolong time as far as I remember. I'd much much much rather have even proven A+ guys like Adenhart, Garza than Hochevar at this point.

With that said, I hope Hochevar pays off

Well, one, Greinke is far from a bust at this point. He had a great breakthrough appearance in 04, obviously an awful 05 which appears like it was due in part to his psychological issues, and is looking good so far in AA. He is still only 22 and has ace stuff and command, so I am FAR from ready to give up on him.

Two, is your decision to put Adenhart and Garza above Hochevar at this point based PURELY on what organization Hochevar is with now? If so, I think that is pretty narrow-minded. Hochevar isn't a high school pitcher, he is a very advanced college "plus" pitcher that is not going to need much development. Let's at least judge him and the rest of the pitchers on their own individual ability rather than subjective factors.

the decision is not purely on the organization at this point, but if you are a Royals fan you have to wonder how Hochevar will work out(as I'm typing this, a few other names popped up in my head, Chris George, Kyle Snyder. Ugh.). And who said Adenhart and Garza don't have ability? Garza was a first round draft pick and is up to AA now and is doing excellent(1.90 ERA, 6/30 bb/k in 23.2 innings, 0.72WHIP). Adenhart isn't doing as well but before he had TJ right after high school he was just as hyped as Homer Bailey and he's in good hand in the Angel's system.

First off, my family is from KC and I can help you continue your list with names such as Colt Griffin, Jimmy Gobble, Mike Stodolka, Jeff Austin, Jim Pittsley.......i'll be here all day.

However, my point is that we should judge the pitchers based solely on their individual ability. And I never said Adenhart or Garza don't have ability, I just feel that Hochevar has more.

are you also NatsFan10? Just curious. :-?

Anyway, we'll see in 2-3 years, maybe as early as next year. If history has taught(SP?) us anything it's that baseball's #1 pick don't even have a 50/50 chance of paying out(ask Padres fans how they feel about Bush).

We'll see...

Any input hybrid?

On another note: Greinke is not done, he'll have a great future ahead of him if he ever get his "personal" problem straightened out.

As to Gobble, he probably should be in the rotation right now and I think he could be a good end of rotation guy in the future.

yeah, i'm also Natsfan.....sorry about the mixup.

:*)
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

Re: Prospect draft: Go for Hochevar?

Postby garf112 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:07 pm

Frappy wrote:Hey My league has a prospect draft going on where we can keep the guys we chose until the end of the '07 season. So far, I have:

Chad Billingsley
Billy Butler

Now, I was thinking of grabbing Hochevar with either my 3rd or 4th and final pick. Theres not a whole bunch of top talent left over, but here are the notables:
- Jon lester LHP, Bos.
- Felix Pie OF, Chc.
- Philip Hughes RHP, Nyy.

Anyway, Hochevar is soon to be 23 and is primed to get a rotation spot by this september. I truly believe he will see the majors by 07 at the least, which is when I have to keep him. He's got ace potential and should be flying under the radar seeing as he was just drafted and not even signed yet. Im in a smart league, and 14 picks go by after my 3rd round pick - so he could be gone by then.. Should I get 3rd, hope he falls to 4th round, or just not even bother? Oh, and there 3-4 more picks untill I can make my 3rd round pick - so guys like Lester and Pie could be gone by then.

I'd pick all three of those guys before Hochevar. I'd go Lester, Pie, Hughes-Hochevar... I'd say those last two are comparable prospects. That being said, pick Lester or Pie (depending on your roster needs and personal preference), and hope one of the other two drops...
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Frappy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:14 am

Alright, here it is - my 3rd round pick. *Drumroll*

Daisuke Matsuzaka SP - Japan.
Frappy
Minor League Mentor