Interesting article by espn on the yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Interesting article by espn on the yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interesting article by espn on the yankees

Postby Strasil42 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:01 pm

Crazy to see ESPN.com have something positive to say about the yankee but they actually do.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... eld/060606

llow me to speak on behalf of the entire Page 2 staff.

Admittedly, through the years, we've been rough on the New York Yankees; in fact, some bloggers even call us "haters."

The Yankees
Kathy Willens/AP Photo
Page 2's new team, the New York Yankees.

We're not going to deny that. In fact, Jim Caple once referred to the franchise as "the team spawned by a liaison between Hitler and the devil." The late Hunter S. Thompson once wrote that the Yankees "deserve a case of Legionnaire's disease." We've made fun of Don Zimmer's hemorrhoids, Zimmer's army helmet, Zimmer's beatdown from Pedro Martinez. We've rejoiced in their October flops, their bloated payrolls, Luis Gonzalez's single, Josh Beckett's shutout, Curt Schilling's bloody ankle and the stretch when they batted Tony Womack leadoff.

Heck, Eric Neel even once declared Derek Jeter "overrated."

But it's time to come clean: We are embracing the 2006 New York Yankees, this gritty, gutty, never-say-die collection of castoffs, rookies, has-beens and stiffs.

What other team could survive this onslaught of injuries: Hideki Matsui's fractured wrist, Gary Sheffield's torn ligament in his wrist, Shawn Chacon's bruised shin, Johnny Damon's broken bone in his foot, Mariano Rivera's bad back, Tanyon Sturtze's blown-out shoulder, Carl Pavano's bruised butt cheek. And now, Jeter's bruised thumb.

No team could; that is, except this group of Yankees -- a team that is in first place after whipping the hated Boston Red Sox on Monday night. The collective heart of these Yankees must be bigger than the Empire State Building.

So, in admiration and praise of this team's hustle, toughness and desire, here are 10 Reasons We Are Adopting The Yankees As Page 2's Official MLB Team To Root For In 2006:

Jason Giambi
Kathy Willens/AP Photo
Jason Giambi has rediscovered his swing, and regained the fans' love.

1. Jason Giambi's resurgence. Think of everything he has been through: the parasite, the tumor, the pressure of his contract, and, of course, the apology he had to make. But here he is, at 35, two years after hitting .208, and he's on pace for 49 home runs and 142 RBI. It's remarkable; most athletes would have packed it in, content to collect that $20 million salary, sit twice a week with a "sore neck" and not worry if they hit .246. But not the Giambino.

2. Scott Erickson. Here's another guy who could have packed it in, considering he hasn't been an effective pitcher since 1999. But he's grinding out innings in the Yankees bullpen and teaching his younger bullpen mates a thing or two about how to deal mentally with an ERA over 7.00.

3. They will not be intimidated. Take Monday night, for example: Facing Beckett, who memorably crushed them in the 2003 World Series while with the Marlins, it would have been easy to expect defeat, take their lumps and hit the town after the game. But not this team; the Yanks weren't scared in the least, pounding the Boston right-hander for seven runs in the second inning. How can you not admire that effort?

4. Without Sheffield and Matsui, the team must play a lineup that includes only five All-Star players. (Not including future All-Star Robinson Cano or former All-Star Bernie Williams.)

Andy Phillips
Bill Kostroun/AP Photo
The newest Bronx Bomber: Andy Phillips.

5. Andy Phillips. Who? Exactly. He's a 29-year-old veteran of the Triple-A wars; he's finally getting a chance to play; and he's producing numbers that would make Don Mattingly proud.

6. Speaking of Mattingly … the Yankees obviously feed off their hitting coach, who undoubtedly inspires the troops with tales of how he played despite back pain that would have driven mere mortals into retirement or steroids use. How else do you explain Damon continuing to play -- and play hard -- despite the broken bone in his right big toe?

7. They never get down. For example, on May 26, they lost a 7-6 heartbreaker to the lowly Royals when they allowed three runs in the eighth inning. Did they let the loss bother them? No! They came out and beat the Royals 15-4 the next night! Then beat them again the next game.

8. Darrell Rasner, Matt Smith, Ron Villone, Mike Myers, Scott Proctor. Don't you think it's time we give this group of relievers a nickname? The Motley Crew? The Big Relief Machine? The No-Names? You get the idea. In the past, the Yankees have loaded up with $40 million worth of relief pitchers; just keep this group in mind when you automatically think the Yankees win just because they outspend everyone.

9. Alex Rodriguez continues to ignore the haters and produce MVP-caliber numbers. In case you missed it among all the anti-Alex venom, he is on pace for 39 home runs, 130 RBI and 145 runs scored. Not clutch? OK, sure, he's hitting .143 (4-for-28) in "late and close" situations, but he is hitting .421 against the Royals.

10. And, finally, we're rooting for the Yankees because … well, people change. Maybe it's that simple. Angry people are unhappy people. We don't want to be unhappy anymore.

GO YANKEES!
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Apollo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:14 pm

Uhm, Strasil? I think you're missing a healthy dose of sarcasm in this article. :-b
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Strasil42 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:18 pm

Apollo wrote:Uhm, Strasil? I think you're missing a healthy dose of sarcasm in this article. :-b

Sure some of it is sarcastic, but for espn.com i would say this is a huge step for them in yankee hating.

What other team could survive this onslaught of injuries: Hideki Matsui's fractured wrist, Gary Sheffield's torn ligament in his wrist, Shawn Chacon's bruised shin, Johnny Damon's broken bone in his foot, Mariano Rivera's bad back, Tanyon Sturtze's blown-out shoulder, Carl Pavano's bruised butt cheek. And now, Jeter's bruised thumb.

No team could; that is, except this group of Yankees -- a team that is in first place after whipping the hated Boston Red Sox on Monday night. The collective heart of these Yankees must be bigger than the Empire State Building.

So, in admiration and praise of this team's hustle, toughness and desire, here are 10 Reasons We Are Adopting The Yankees As Page 2's Official MLB Team To Root For In 2006:

Jason Giambi
Kathy Willens/AP Photo
Jason Giambi has rediscovered his swing, and regained the fans' love.

1. Jason Giambi's resurgence. Think of everything he has been through: the parasite, the tumor, the pressure of his contract, and, of course, the apology he had to make. But here he is, at 35, two years after hitting .208, and he's on pace for 49 home runs and 142 RBI. It's remarkable; most athletes would have packed it in, content to collect that $20 million salary, sit twice a week with a "sore neck" and not worry if they hit .246. But not the Giambino. "

You think that is sarcastic?
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:20 pm

Just sayin but shouldn't this be in the Yankee forum?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Strasil42 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:22 pm

nsulham wrote:Just sayin but shouldn't this be in the Yankee forum?

Opps, I thought I did post it in the Yank forum. Thank you.

Mods could you please move this to the right forum when you get a chance.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Apollo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:47 pm

I think this is sarcastic--referring to the fact that the Yankees have signed so many superstars that half the team could go down and they are still in first. It must be their heart getting them through it, eh? "What other team could survive this" indeed.

Given that they refer a few lines later to the five remaining all-stars, the references to "hustle, toughness and desire" getting them through their problems seem almost certainly sarcastic.

1. Jason Giambi's resurgence. Think of everything he has been through: the parasite, the tumor, the pressure of his contract, and, of course, the apology he had to make. But here he is, at 35, two years after hitting .208, and he's on pace for 49 home runs and 142 RBI. It's remarkable; most athletes would have packed it in, content to collect that $20 million salary, sit twice a week with a "sore neck" and not worry if they hit .246. But not the Giambino. "

Now this one is definitely a thinly-veiled slam. "The pressure of his contract"? "The apology he had to make"? I think they're implying that he hasn't "packed it in," but has gone back on steroids.

But I dunno, maybe I'm reading too much into the article. Anyone else have thoughts?
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WharfRat » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:52 pm

For Page 2, this is as un-sarcastic as you can probably ever expect.

Funny though, I was just thinking about how I'm loving this team. I haven't gotten so into a Yankee club since those wonderful 1996-2001 teams.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Geek » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:55 pm

OK, sure, he's hitting .143 (4-for-28) in "late and close" situations, but he is hitting .421 against the Royals.
;-D
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Minor League Skilz » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:43 am

WharfRat wrote:For Page 2, this is as un-sarcastic as you can probably ever expect.

Funny though, I was just thinking about how I'm loving this team. I haven't gotten so into a Yankee club since those wonderful 1996-2001 teams.

Agreed Wharf. This team is so easy to root for.

Are we becomming the first $200 million dollar underdogs???
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Apollo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:09 pm

Agreed Wharf. This team is so easy to root for.

Are we becomming the first $200 million dollar underdogs???

I know this isn't my forum, and I have no business here, but I just had to pop in and say--no. :-b
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to New York Yankees