Tigers take Andrew Miller with the 6th pick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Tigers take Andrew Miller with the 6th pick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:53 am

Zumaya is probably going to stay in the pen fellas.

How about a rotation of Verlander, Bonderman, Sleeth, Miller, and one of Maroth, Sanchez, Grilli, or Tata

:-o
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:01 am

I have to admit that I am way too excited about this. mlb has to adress this issue, though I am happy with the flaw in the draft. I heard pre-draft rhetoric about how this guy was the #1 and might fall due to signability. Never would have dreamed he'd fall to us.

I can see a rotation setting up like this in '08 or '09:

Verlander, going for his second Cy Young, starts opening day for the next 10 seasons.
Maroth-Nearly impossible to get a bead on after watching, or listening, to Verlander's bbs peppering Inge's mitt.
Bonderman-finds a home as the number 3 man. Electric slider that cripples hitters who are still trying to figure out how they didn't clobber Maroths slow pitch ball.
Tata-Superior control makes hitters work every AB, prolly low WHIP, high ERA guy til he learns how to get guys out regularly. Great #4 starter.
Miller-Everybody has to start somewhere and #5 spot is his. Will be encouraged when told that even Verlander almighty was a #5 starter once.
Robertson will spell Miller later in the season and provide great long relief/insurance should anyone struggle.

Zumaya will be an elite closer, making Rodney a valueable trade commodity as a phlethera of great young arms provide for one of the leagues best relief corps.

Geezuz, I'm delerious. This is the Tigers, right? Do not wake me.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:27 pm

Dont forget Kyle Sleeth, mooch - he's just coming back from injury and has tremendous upside.

The Tigers organization is drowning with young pitchers right now - when was the last time we could say that?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:46 am

moochman wrote:I have to admit that I am way too excited about this. mlb has to adress this issue, though I am happy with the flaw in the draft. I heard pre-draft rhetoric about how this guy was the #1 and might fall due to signability. Never would have dreamed he'd fall to us.

I can see a rotation setting up like this in '08 or '09:

Verlander, going for his second Cy Young, starts opening day for the next 10 seasons.
Maroth-Nearly impossible to get a bead on after watching, or listening, to Verlander's bbs peppering Inge's mitt.
Bonderman-finds a home as the number 3 man. Electric slider that cripples hitters who are still trying to figure out how they didn't clobber Maroths slow pitch ball.
Tata-Superior control makes hitters work every AB, prolly low WHIP, high ERA guy til he learns how to get guys out regularly. Great #4 starter.
Miller-Everybody has to start somewhere and #5 spot is his. Will be encouraged when told that even Verlander almighty was a #5 starter once.
Robertson will spell Miller later in the season and provide great long relief/insurance should anyone struggle.

Zumaya will be an elite closer, making Rodney a valueable trade commodity as a phlethera of great young arms provide for one of the leagues best relief corps.

Geezuz, I'm delerious. This is the Tigers, right? Do not wake me.
Humberto Sanchez could have something to say about this if he can remain a starter. Plus I still think it's wrong to pigeonhole someone as young and talented as Zumaya into a closer. Sleeth also just got mentioned above. It should be interesting to see how he progresses from surgery over the next year.

First let's wait and see when they sign him. I think they'll get it done and a month or two rest for a pitcher fresh out of college or high school isn't necessarily a bad thing, assuming negotiations aren't instantaneously successful. It is indeed hard not to be excited by how things went down. Hopefully we got some nice bats with some of the picks right behind Miller. Could use some more good bats in the minors.
Ronnie Bourquin, 3B
Brennan Boesch, CF
Ryan Strieby, 1B
Scott Sizemore, 2B
Jordan Newton, C
I basically know nothing about the guys aside from Miller that they drafted (except for reading a brief description), but I'm assuming these are the main guys to watch.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dyuen87 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:08 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Dont forget Kyle Sleeth, mooch - he's just coming back from injury and has tremendous upside.

The Tigers organization is drowning with young pitchers right now - when was the last time we could say that?

we can save you from drowning, send some our way please. }:-)
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:39 pm

dyuen87 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Dont forget Kyle Sleeth, mooch - he's just coming back from injury and has tremendous upside.

we can save you from drowning, send some our way please. }:-)

You wouldn't happen to have a third baseman would ya? A Frod can play for my team anytime.

What the heck is going on with this minor league system, Cornbread? All of a sudden we're a pitching factory. I smell trade bait.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:05 pm

I think the influx of the three main youngters from our system - Verlander, Zumaya, and Granderson - has hightened my expectations for our farm system. In reality, I know Im getting too excited about some of the guys who could make it up within a couple yrs. I say too excited because the new guys I think have very bright futures in Detroit, but projecting some of these others that havent made it up yet is still so much of a crap shoot. So on one hand I see the recent additions doing very good, and I expect the others like Maybin, Clevelan, Sleeth, and Sanchez to get up here and play well relatively soon, but on the other hand I know the reality is that only one or two of those guys will be good big leaguers.

Even still, its nice to have high expectations for Detroit players after knowing for so long that we didnt have jack squat in our system. Its a breath of fresh air. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moochman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:12 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I think the influx of the three main youngters from our system - Verlander, Zumaya, and Granderson - has hightened my expectations for our farm system. In reality, I know Im getting too excited about some of the guys who could make it up within a couple yrs. I say too excited because the new guys I think have very bright futures in Detroit, but projecting some of these others that havent made it up yet is still so much of a crap shoot. So on one hand I see the recent additions doing very good, and I expect the others like Maybin, Clevelan, Sleeth, and Sanchez to get up here and play well relatively soon, but on the other hand I know the reality is that only one or two of those guys will be good big leaguers.

Even still, its nice to have high expectations for Detroit players after knowing for so long that we didnt have jack squat in our system. Its a breath of fresh air. ;-D

As always, well said. A much needed breath of fresh air for this franchise and it's fans. Just wish there were a few position players ready to make the next step.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:09 pm

Maybin might play tonight after a long layoff. So there's some more good news regarding our minor leagues.

Nook Logan seems to be healthy again too as he's been in the mix with Toledo's outfield stiffs the last couple of days.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:54 pm

Good Lynn Henning article on the Tigers drafting Andrew Miller

How good is Miller? Good enough to where a 6-foot-6 left-hander whom the Tigers got with the sixth overall selection Tuesday would have been a No. 1 pick in about any draft. Scouts made up their mind about Miller last summer when he blew away hitters in the summer Cape Cod League, a wooden-bats league, where the best college talent each year competes.

If you dominate on the Cape, you have a chance to dominate in the big leagues.

Miller was just as good in Friday night's NCAA Super Regional game, which North Carolina won, 11-5, over Alabama. Miller went seven innings, gave up no earned runs, five hits and struck out 11.

In 406 at-bats against him in 2006, hitters have seven extra-base hits off him: six doubles and a home run.

He has, as the scouts say, a "plus-plus" fastball and slider, and a two-seam fastball that he throws as his third pitch. What the scouts like about him is he throws inside with precision and intent. They see Miller breaking a lot of bats to go with even more strikeouts when he turns pro.

Why did five other teams let him slip? The Tigers first got wind about midnight Monday the draft's consensus No. 1 pick was going to drop, perhaps into their hands. Kansas City, Colorado, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh and Seattle were nervous about the money Miller and his agent, Mark Rodgers, of Palm City, Fla., were going to hold out for, which was said to be something in the neighborhood of the $9 million Mark Prior got from the Cubs in 2001.

For some clubs, it was not so much the money as the reality they would probably be haggling with Miller for months to come.

They wanted predictable, big league talents that they could get into their systems in a hurry. Miller figures to be expensive, even if a team could sign him before the minor league season ends, which seems unlikely.

Why did the Tigers bite? Scouting director David Chadd had to check with his bosses, owner Mike Ilitch and president and general manager Dave Dombrowski, before he could even think about taking Miller in Tuesday's first round.

The brass gave him the go-ahead to get the best player on the board. The Tigers never imagined Miller was going anywhere but No. 1, which is why they never discussed him in the days and weeks ahead of the draft.

All along, however, he was the first player on the draft board, as he was for nearly everyone else.

Will the Tigers sign him? Be prepared for a long vigil. The guess here is, yes, but it seems unlikely Detroit, Miller and Rodgers will be tying up anything until this autumn, at the earliest (Detroit has until the end of next May to reach agreement, at which time Miller would re-enter the 2007 draft).

The Tigers will want to offer money closer to what last year's first pitcher taken, Mike Pelfrey, got from the Mets ($5.25 million). Pelfrey, by the way, would have been Detroit's pick over outfielder Cameron Maybin had the Mets not taken him one spot ahead of the Tigers in the June 2005 draft.

Rodgers and Miller will argue that Miller is every bit as hot and as talented as Prior was when the Cubs paid him $9 million out of Southern Cal in 2001.

Which side will win? Both, probably. The Tigers are not going to get Miller for Pelfrey money. Pelfrey was the ninth player selected overall in 2005; Miller was the sixth, as well as the consensus best talent.

Rodgers and Miller, likewise, will have a tough time commanding $9 million. The Cubs overpaid five years ago for a pitcher who has since won 41 games. Most big league teams would see that as a non-binding precedent.

What are the risks? Again, they exist for both sides. Rodgers and Miller got a boost Tuesday when Luke Hochevar went as the first overall pick to Kansas City a year after his agent, Scott Boras, refused to sign with the Dodgers. It showed a talented college pitcher can sit out a year and help, rather than hurt, his market value. Miller, though, would have to balk at $6 million or so from the Tigers and expect that he could do significantly better with another club next June. There is no guarantee it would happen. Meanwhile, an important year devoted to his big league progress -- and to the hefty paydays that are almost sure to follow for him -- would have been lost.

What did Kansas City get in Hochevar? The Royals got a good pitcher with the potential to be an excellent big league pitcher. But know this: The Tigers did not have him in their top 10 picks. They threw his name out ahead of the draft to be politically correct -- to avoid insulting a celebrated right-hander from Tennessee.

But it was known in advance they did not like the way his fastball tended to fade over a season, and even in a game, nor were they wild about his temperament when bad things happened.

Hochevar then turned off a lot of people at his Tuesday news conference when he badmouthed the Dodgers for not having signed him originally.

Did the Tigers reach to draft Ohio State's Ronnie Bourquin in the second round? Most of the draft handicappers thought so. The Tigers instead jumped at a chance to grab a 6-3, 210-pound left-handed hitter who was Big Ten player of the year.

Tigers scouts first got interested in Bourquin (he will likely play third base) when they saw him play early this spring against Florida. Area scouts stayed on him, Chadd saw him play twice, and everyone one of them were sold. They believe he has an excellent approach at the plate and the potential to add power.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... SPORTS0104
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Tigers