1st Year Player draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

1st Year Player draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bosy Billups » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:41 pm

The Twins select Christopher Parmelee?

Why? They have Kubel and Cuddyer already :-?
Bosy Billups
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:43 pm

speedy27 wrote:Is it you don't like Longoria or just wanted some SP help? What do you think of Longoria as a position player. I'd think he'd stay at 3B for the DRays as that looks to be a position of need for them.

It's just a bad pick due to our needs. A 3B is something we lack and would be nice, so it's not overall an awful pick. But pitching is a much more drastic need for the organization, especially after failing miserably to sign Morris who would of helped out our pitching prospects quite a bit.

Last year they screwed up by taking Townsend cause they were so hell bent on taking a college pitcher that would be cheaper, then screwed up on Morris. This year we needed pitching still since the messed up those picks ... yet we get a hitter something that is nice but not a priority.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:46 pm

Bosy Billups wrote:The Twins select Christopher Parmelee?

Why? They have Kubel and Cuddyer already :-?

Cuddyer is a nice hitter who can play a few positions, but nothing that would sway a team in drafting. They also have a system that lacks any top OF prospects. Drafting the best talent is more something they would do then draft for team need right now.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby speedy27 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:00 pm

hybrid wrote:It's just a bad pick due to our needs. A 3B is something we lack and would be nice, so it's not overall an awful pick. But pitching is a much more drastic need for the organization, especially after failing miserably to sign Morris who would of helped out our pitching prospects quite a bit.

Last year they screwed up by taking Townsend cause they were so hell bent on taking a college pitcher that would be cheaper, then screwed up on Morris. This year we needed pitching still since the messed up those picks ... yet we get a hitter something that is nice but not a priority.

surely with the DRays overstocked OF they will make some sort of trade for some pitching?
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:04 pm

speedy27 wrote:surely with the DRays overstocked OF they will make some sort of trade for some pitching?

Well see that's the point, we could of drafted a nice SP prospect so we wouldn't need to make more deals. Just plain bad manageent over the last 2 years IMO. Right now Gathright has no value, and Crawford/Delmon aren't going anywhere. If Rocco can come back and stays healthy that leaves us w/ Elijah Dukes as the only real trading block unless they also trade Gomes. We do have enough OF's but the ones to trade don't have to much value at this point.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:14 pm

Hochevar? :-[
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:19 pm

Yoda wrote:
Dannomyte wrote:I'm liking the Tigers taking Andrew Miller!!! I wasn't too excited with the rumors of them taking Drew Stubbs or Clayton Kershaw.

I wouldn't be too excited yet. Let's see if they got what it takes to sigh him.
Yeah. Look at the way things went with their last two top picks. Verlander eventually had to fire his agent before signing and then Maybin basically didn't sign until the 2005 season was over after some very tough back and forth negotiating (Maybin also fell to the Tigers because of signability). As a Tiger fan, I would love to see a deal get done very soon, but we will see.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:22 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Hochevar? :-[

It's not a bad pick all things considering, but you have to think they had a pre-draft deal done since his agent is Boras. If they didn't well, good luck with that. :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:37 pm

Anyone have any info on Kevin Mulvey? I know he's a Jersey boy and projected to go late 1st. Mets got him at 62. I guess that could be good or bad depending on perspective.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:48 pm

I don't mind the Hochevar pick at all.

We can't afford to draft a higher risk guy (A. Miller) or the fans will go nuts. We NEED a guy to show up in the MLB rotation and not flop and Hochevar gives us that with less risk than Miller.

Just my opinion but I like it. Miller has more upside but he is farther away and has more of a possiblility of flopping (only 2 pitches, not great control, tall and linky, etc)

Don't understand the 2nd pick though? Jason Taylor, HS Shortstop?

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball