Study: 1 in 5 students practice self-injury - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Study: 1 in 5 students practice self-injury

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:55 pm

1 in 5 kids at 2 Ivy League Universities self-abuse themselves themselves? 8-o That's a lot of kids.

I personally think our society is becoming too soft. These students are supposed our best and brightest, yet 1/5 of them deal with emotional issues like this. Hmm.. is it really true that colleges have become more competitive and stressful than they were in the past like that article was suggesting?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:03 pm

eh, they made a movie about this, it's called Secretary
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:16 pm

mweir145 wrote:I personally think our society is becoming too soft.

Don't look now, but I totally, completely, 100% agree with you on that. 8-o :-D ;-D ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:30 pm

Madison wrote:

Don't look now, but I totally, completely, 100% agree with you on that. 8-o :-D ;-D ;-D

I agree too. It digusts me how much people my age misbehave and stuff, and I think it's a result of our society becoming too soft. For example, today we had speeches for class elections. Every second someone would start yelling stuff out looking for attention/trying to be funny. One swift kick in the arse could solve that. }:-)
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:49 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Madison wrote:

I agree too. It digusts me how much people my age misbehave and stuff, and I think it's a result of our society becoming too soft. For example, today we had speeches for class elections. Every second someone would start yelling stuff out looking for attention/trying to be funny. One swift kick in the arse could solve that. }:-)

I'll completely agree with all of the above as well.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:52 pm

Let's not overlook the fact that this "survey" only polled kids in two Ivy League universities. It's been my experience that the type of people who go to Ivy League schools are more apt to have 'daddy didn't love me enough' syndrome and create reasons to make their priviledged lives seem not so perfect.

Conduct this poll at a public high school in DC or Detroit and you'd get far different results. People with actual problems tend to not create problems for themselves as often.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:53 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Stupid psycho-babble. People so consumed with themselves and their damn feelings. Contribute to society, you pieces of crap, and you'll feel like you belong somewhere. Man this pisses me off.
I don't think it has to do with them not contributing. After reading the article and some books on this topic, it's more about issues like control and expressing hurt. This happens amoung jr. high students around here. It spreads by word of mouth. They find out someone else tries it so they do. I can't imagine cutting myself to make myself feel better, but if you listen to the Emimen song "Stan", even he writes "Sometimes I even cut myself to see how much it bleeds. It's like adrenaline, the pain is such a sudden rush for me." They need help, but I don't think it's all touchy-feely-tree hugging stuff.

My point is, is that people are so focussed on themselves and how they feel all the time. That's psycho-babble. I understand that there are people that can realistically be considered 'depressed', but don't you think that the word is tossed around a bit much? If kids had some self-worth I would imagine they would find more constructive things to do than cut themselves.
Where do you suggest these kids find their self-worth?
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:16 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Stupid psycho-babble. People so consumed with themselves and their damn feelings. Contribute to society, you pieces of crap, and you'll feel like you belong somewhere. Man this pisses me off.
I don't think it has to do with them not contributing. After reading the article and some books on this topic, it's more about issues like control and expressing hurt. This happens amoung jr. high students around here. It spreads by word of mouth. They find out someone else tries it so they do. I can't imagine cutting myself to make myself feel better, but if you listen to the Emimen song "Stan", even he writes "Sometimes I even cut myself to see how much it bleeds. It's like adrenaline, the pain is such a sudden rush for me." They need help, but I don't think it's all touchy-feely-tree hugging stuff.

My point is, is that people are so focussed on themselves and how they feel all the time. That's psycho-babble. I understand that there are people that can realistically be considered 'depressed', but don't you think that the word is tossed around a bit much? If kids had some self-worth I would imagine they would find more constructive things to do than cut themselves.

Sports, art, reading, writing, work, poetry, music, fishing, etc. There are so many things that kids just don't experience, because they don't find them stimulating. They've been given a TV to sit in front of since they were born.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:17 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:People with actual problems tend to not create problems for themselves as often.

;-D

Great point.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:30 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:

Sports, art, reading, writing, work, poetry, music, fishing, etc. There are so many things that kids just don't experience, because they don't find them stimulating. They've been given a TV to sit in front of since they were born.
People shouldn't find self-worth because of the things they can or can't do. Outside factors change and can cause a lot of problems too. If a person is only valuable because of what they can do, then just as their perfomance will vary, so will their self worth. Their self worth needs to be built on more than outside activities IMO. I'm not valuable because of my job. I don't have more self-worth because I win my fantasy baseball league. I have value and purpose for other reasons and those don't ever change.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk