Valverde??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Valverde???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Valverde???

Postby tjasinto2 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:18 am

So when is he supposed to be closing again? Anyone have any intel? Yahoo reports that he will be soon but how soon? I just used a #7 waiver to pick him up. I hope it was worth it..
C-J. Posada
1B-D. Ortiz
2B-Cuddyer
3B-Mora, Chavez (BN)
SS-Furcal
OF-C.Lee, Cabrera, Matthews Jr, Cameron (BN)
Util-Delgado

SP-Clemens, Hudson, Sabathia, Lackey, Penny, Jer. Weaver, Lester, Maroth (DL)
RP-Street, Otsuka, Fuentes
tjasinto2
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sunspot » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:42 am

He already is their closer again. He pitched real well last night and his manager has his back. Everyone has a rough stretch once in a while.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FalcoAtL » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:34 pm

Actually he is not the closer just yet. He did pitch well last night, but Melvon had Julio warming up if the DBacks took, the lead in the 8th. Valverde came in because they never scored.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Sunspot » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:01 pm

Actually sounds like commitee for a while:
Jose Valverde, RP ARI

News: RHP Jose Valverde is on the verge of returning as Arizona's closer after having distanced himself from a recent five-game stretch in which he blew two saves, took the loss in two other games and had an ERA of 22.00.

Analysis: Valverde was designated for closing duties in the past two games, but the situation didn't present itself, although he likely will resume that role full time later this week. "The point all along," manager Bob Melvin said, "was to get him back into the closer role. ... We'll play it day by day, but that's still the way I look at it. Right now, we're just mixing and matching, doing the best we can that particular game. But our feeling is that at some point in time, he gets back in that role. Whether it's sooner or later, today or tomorrow or whatever, we're not sure yet."
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FalcoAtL » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:19 pm

Sunspot wrote:Actually sounds like commitee for a while:
Jose Valverde, RP ARI

News: RHP Jose Valverde is on the verge of returning as Arizona's closer after having distanced himself from a recent five-game stretch in which he blew two saves, took the loss in two other games and had an ERA of 22.00.

Analysis: Valverde was designated for closing duties in the past two games, but the situation didn't present itself, although he likely will resume that role full time later this week. "The point all along," manager Bob Melvin said, "was to get him back into the closer role. ... We'll play it day by day, but that's still the way I look at it. Right now, we're just mixing and matching, doing the best we can that particular game. But our feeling is that at some point in time, he gets back in that role. Whether it's sooner or later, today or tomorrow or whatever, we're not sure yet."

Actually you're completely wrong. When he said, "We'll play it day by day" he was strictly referring to Valverde. Not who was pitching the best and thats who will close. Julio will close for however long Valverde takes to get back on track. Period.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazing Oopah » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:44 pm

I totally expect Valverde to get the next save opp. Hopefully he doesn't blow it :-o
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby tjasinto2 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:09 pm

Cool. I had Tyler Walker but I dropped him and used my #7 waiver on Vavlerde. The reason being that Arizona is a more competitive team than TB is thus Valverde will get more save opps than Walker will in the long run...Correct me if I'm wrong though..
C-J. Posada
1B-D. Ortiz
2B-Cuddyer
3B-Mora, Chavez (BN)
SS-Furcal
OF-C.Lee, Cabrera, Matthews Jr, Cameron (BN)
Util-Delgado

SP-Clemens, Hudson, Sabathia, Lackey, Penny, Jer. Weaver, Lester, Maroth (DL)
RP-Street, Otsuka, Fuentes
tjasinto2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:28 pm

tjasinto2 wrote:Cool. I had Tyler Walker but I dropped him and used my #7 waiver on Vavlerde. The reason being that Arizona is a more competitive team than TB is thus Valverde will get more save opps than Walker will in the long run...Correct me if I'm wrong though..

The number of save opportunities is immaterial since Tyler Walker is simply not a good pitcher. :)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Amazing Oopah » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:39 pm

tjasinto2 wrote:Cool. I had Tyler Walker but I dropped him and used my #7 waiver on Vavlerde. The reason being that Arizona is a more competitive team than TB is thus Valverde will get more save opps than Walker will in the long run...Correct me if I'm wrong though..

whoa, someone dropped Valverde? 8-o 8-o 8-o

Great deal for you. Tyler Walker will revert to being junk eventually.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:46 pm

Someone dropped Valverde in one of my leagues but I had too low of a waiver priority to get him.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates