Beckett - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beckett

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:53 pm

hybrid wrote:
Zito is God wrote: I don't think he is a bad pitcher, I do think however he will never be an ace like his stuff suggests.

Possibly, but I wouldn't put it by him. He has everything it takes to be an ace, just lacks some mental parts which he can change if he figures/realizes it.

Too many people forget how young he still is. It may take a couple years but he's only 26 with tremendous talent.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:19 pm

Well it just turned June. A blister can't be far off either.

A friend of mine in my 3 main money leagues drafted/bought Beckett in every one. He was sort of interested why I was not chiming in in the auction league for Beckett as we both carried in a heavily offensive latent team of keepers and no pitching. The whole league knew the two of us would be bidding on top pitching and he was curious why I basically never got into the Beckett sweepstakes. I told him I wanted another pitcher, but frankly I was enjoying letting him spend $17 on Beckett. Of course, I was the idiot who let him get Webb for $10.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:27 pm

Not sure what you guys expected from him...

I'm not sure how anyone could predict him to do better in Boston than he did in Florida (although countless people did predict this). He'll finish with better numbers than this (assuming he doesn't get another blister next week) but I would not expect an ERA much lower than 4.50, which for what his price was pre-season, is pretty bad.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

re

Postby aardvarks » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:17 pm

The problem isn't that he's throwing too many fastballs, it's that he's wild in the zone. We've all heard "the most effective pitch is a well placed fastball"

Many of todays great pitchers throw mostly fastballs the 1st time through the order, and that's been Becketts pattern as well. He just needs to locate better.
aardvarks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 87)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers