Postby tianyi86 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:32 pm

Good thing I unloaded himi for carpenter ;-D
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:37 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:
Zito is God wrote:As long as Beckett acts like this immature kid that he is and lets his arrogance pitch for him he will be lit up all season, especially by teams like the Yankees.

And Blue Jays... :-D

And he is quite the a**. Swearing like a little leaguer at Hillenbrand when he thought he had walked (whuich by the way he should have). Of course the Jays have hit him pretty hard since then so maybe Josh should grow up and shut his mouth.

Don't forget when he hit Aaron Hill back in April with the Sox leading 6-2 and him dominating the Jays. All it did was spark a comeback for the bluebirds. Since then, the Jays have owned Beckett.

You couldn't expect his numbers to be better with Boston than they were with with Florida. He moved from NL to AL and to a division which is probably the toughest one for a pitcher in baseball. Not to mention moving to Fenway wasn't much of a help either.

It would have been nice to see how AJ Burnett would fair against the AL East.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:26 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:You couldn't expect his numbers to be better with Boston than they were with with Florida. He moved from NL to AL and to a division which is probably the toughest one for a pitcher in baseball. Not to mention moving to Fenway wasn't much of a help either.

Your right you can't expect that, though as a young pitcher that hasn't reached his prime you can't throw it out either that he won't get better. He has actually pitched great at home so far and awful on the road (every hr he has given up has been on the road).

His biggest problem isn't the league where he pitches, it's himself. When he gets mad, it usually isn't for the best and he isn't mixing his pitches like he had in Florida. I had hoped Schilling would make him better, but as of right now it hasn't bad off. Maybe he needs to get blown up like this a few times before it finally sinks in for him though.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:02 pm

I'm pretty sick of seeing him shake off Varitek and then throw a meatball. Varitek got all that money for a reason. Schilling has said how great he is at calling a game, and Schilling has been very succesful when healthy because he listens to Varitek.

Schilling also said that Beckett watch tape or make scouting reports, and when he starts to mature and do so, he will be that much better.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:03 pm

The yanks schedule has had him facing the cream of the AL early this year, and thus his rough starts (which all pitchers will have) have been against teams that can mash and we're seeing him for the second time. I look forward to some good #s when he faces the relatively virgin AL West.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:04 pm

johnsamo wrote:The yanks schedule has had him facing the cream of the AL early this year, and thus his rough starts (which all pitchers will have) have been against teams that can mash and we're seeing him for the second time. I look forward to some good #s when he faces the relatively virgin AL West.

I hope you mean Sox. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:08 pm

Yeah, I noticed how much he was shaking off Varitek... If any catcher in the world knows the AL hitters, it's him. From the games I've watched, when Becket has his curve working, he deals, when it's not, the hitters just sit on the fastball. He's got to become less predictable. It's a good fastball, but it's not good enough to rely on solely.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:43 pm

Moral of the story: Be weary of drafting AL East pitchers.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Zito is God » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:06 pm

I was offered Beckett for Prince Fielder straight up in my dynasty league. At first it looked like a solid trade and seemed almost too good, but then I thought about it and rejected.

The thing with Beckett is, he really is as childish as it gets. He is a know-it all. I am a Yankee fan and hate the Sox, but honestly Varitek calls a very good game and Beckett shook off at least 60% last night, it was kinda dumb of him. He thinks he can reach back and blow hitters away with 97 mph heat everytime out, and it does not work that way. His numbers (at the time I was offered the trade, about 2 weeks ago) all showed improvement in WHIP, ERA, and BAA, but the combination of pressure and immaturity kills him. I don't think he is a bad pitcher, I do think however he will never be an ace like his stuff suggests.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:38 pm

Zito is God wrote: I don't think he is a bad pitcher, I do think however he will never be an ace like his stuff suggests.

Possibly, but I wouldn't put it by him. He has everything it takes to be an ace, just lacks some mental parts which he can change if he figures/realizes it.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers