xp home or pro? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

xp home or pro?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

xp home or pro?

Postby free » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:26 pm

what are the basic differences in these two OS?
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:31 pm

security settings? :-?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mugrila » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:16 pm

I think Pro is set up for computers on a network. Home is better for...well- home. :-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:51 am

Pro is a better version in my opinion. but they aren't that different.

I had been using pro and my girlfriend home and I didn't notice that much of a difference.

Now I have media center which is basically home with a focus in media apps

I like it alot..so I'd say go with that.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:19 pm

XP Pro is better suited for tighter security and/or when you're managing a network of PC's. It's just slightly better in performance and/or memory management when you're doing demanding tasks (i.e. program development, graphics, video design). There really isn't much difference between the two that a user can detect. I program as a hobby and I'd rather have XP Pro because it's slightly faster when compiling or executing your files. But I use XP Home and it runs Photoshop, Flash, and my other development environment apps with relative ease. If you have Home, it's not really worth the upgrade to Pro, unless you plan on merging into a larger network of PC's.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:22 am

The security is negligible if you're just using the computer as a personal one. The biggest difference is that Pro supports connections to a domain and active directory; something you really would never have to worry about on a home network since Home does allow you to setup a workgroup. I believe it's also capable of running dual processors, which home is not.

While it does run a little tighter, it's probably not worth the additional cost if you're just using it home.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:03 am

Coppermine wrote:The security is negligible if you're just using the computer as a personal one. The biggest difference is that Pro supports connections to a domain and active directory; something you really would never have to worry about on a home network since Home does allow you to setup a workgroup. I believe it's also capable of running dual processors, which home is not.

While it does run a little tighter, it's probably not worth the additional cost if you're just using it home.

I've found that for my needs Home is fine. However, the big dude who looks like comic book guy in my office who is on a computer 27 hours a day would probably come up with 8 million reason's why Home is inferior.

But thats just his style.. Go with home better yet go with media center especially if its a laptop ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:13 am

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:The security is negligible if you're just using the computer as a personal one. The biggest difference is that Pro supports connections to a domain and active directory; something you really would never have to worry about on a home network since Home does allow you to setup a workgroup. I believe it's also capable of running dual processors, which home is not.

I've found that for my needs Home is fine. However, the big dude who looks like comic book guy in my office who is on a computer 27 hours a day would probably come up with 8 million reason's why Home is inferior.

But thats just his style.. Go with home better yet go with media center especially if its a laptop ;-D

Home: Worst Application Ever...is that what he'd say?

i'm still rolling with my bootleg copy of Office 2000 on my Windows 98 SE system
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby shpuck » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:35 am

shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:52 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Home: Worst Application Ever...is that what he'd say?

i'm still rolling with my bootleg copy of Office 2000 on my Windows 98 SE system

That's hardcore comic book guy; Win98SE? I think Microsoft is dropping all support for that in 2007.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to General Talk