Matt Cain vs. Josh Johnson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Matt Cain vs. Josh Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Cain vs. Josh Johnson

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:36 pm

I know this is going to sound stupid but even though I should feel very good that I just traded Josh Johnson for one of the best pitching prospect in Matt Cain. I don't feel that way? How exactly is Matt Cain better is what I'm asking.

Frame
Josh Johnson: 6-7 240
Matt Cain: 6-3 234

Age
Johnson: 22
Cain: 22(half a year younger)

Team outlook
Johnson: won't be good this year but should be pretty good soon
Cain: old team that could be a disaster next year

Fastball
Johnson: 91-93mph range, goes up to 96 though rarely
Cain: 92-94mph range, goes up to 97 pretty regularly

#2 pitch
Johnson: power slider, good looking pitch when I watched
Cain: power curve, from what I read it's pretty good but I haven't watch a lot of Giants game

#3 pitch
Johnson: changeup, need work
Cain: changeup, need work

other pitch
I'm not aware of any

Park
Advantage Johnson

Minor league track record
Advantage Cain

Performance this year
Advantage Johnson

League/Division
Push?

John Sickels
Johnson: B-
Cain: A-

Baseball America
Johnson: 80th
Cain: 10th

I'm just curious in which area is Cain better other than he's much highly touted prospect?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:38 pm

First inning similar players

Josh Johnson
Similarity Score Player Year
43 Brett Evert 2002
43 Nick Pesco 2004
39 Nate Cornejo 2001
36 Gavin Floyd 2004
35 Taylor Buchholz 2002
32 Brian Falkenborg 1999
32 Kevin Gregg 1999
32 Seth McClung 2002
31 Matt DeWitt 1999
30 Grant Roberts 1999


Matt Cain
Similarity Score Player Year
61 Matt Riley 1999
59 Kyle Davies 2004
56 John Patterson 1999
54 Nick Neugebauer 2002
54 Carlos Zambrano 2001
53 Jeremy Bonderman 2004
53 Odalis Perez 1999
53 Kip Wells 1999
52 Jake Peavy 2003
47 Barry Zito 2000
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:53 pm

I guess you didn't like what people over at minorleagueball.com had to say? Cain is a better prospect, always has been. He has a better FB, better secondary stuff, performed better in the minors at a younger age, etc. Also Johnson has a few cases of shoulder tendinitis, which you don't like to hear about. I wouldn't let 40+ innings change what 3-4 years of the minors has said so far.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 6107
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: miles away from the unordinary

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:56 pm

hybrid wrote:I guess you didn't like what people over at minorleagueball.com had to say? Cain is a better prospect, always has been. He has a better FB, better secondary stuff, performed better in the minors at a younger age, etc. Also Johnson has a few cases of shoulder tendinitis, which you don't like to hear about. I wouldn't let 40+ innings change what 3-4 years of the minors has said so far.



Thanks, I know those people at minorleagueballs have a great deal of knowledge towards prospects but they just didn't go into detail with the analysts.

Also, didn't Cain have arm problem in 03?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:01 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Thanks, I know those people at minorleagueballs have a great deal of knowledge towards prospects but they just didn't go into detail with the analysts.

Also, didn't Cain have arm problem in 03?


It was back in 2002, so this is his 4th injury free year so far. It's pretty much behind him now and not something I'd worry about.

Johnson is been really lucky so far, hitters won't continue to only hit .245 on BABIP against him.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 6107
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: miles away from the unordinary

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:30 pm

hybrid wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Thanks, I know those people at minorleagueballs have a great deal of knowledge towards prospects but they just didn't go into detail with the analysts.

Also, didn't Cain have arm problem in 03?


It was back in 2002, so this is his 4th injury free year so far. It's pretty much behind him now and not something I'd worry about.

Johnson is been really lucky so far, hitters won't continue to only hit .245 on BABIP against him.


Thanks
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS


Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Sep. 14
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Tampa Bay at Toronto
(1:07 pm)
Cleveland at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Washington at NY Mets
(1:10 pm)
Miami at Philadelphia
(1:35 pm)
Chi Cubs at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
Cincinnati at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
Boston at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(2:10 pm)
Colorado at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Atlanta at Texas
(3:05 pm)
Houston at LA Angels
(3:35 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(4:05 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(4:10 pm)
Oakland at Seattle
(4:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Baltimore
(8:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact