Off-Season Trades - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Off-Season Trades

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Off-Season Trades

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:32 pm

How do you guys evaluate the trades the Jays made during the off-season. ;-D ? :-t ?

I'm talking about...

Lyle Overbay/Ty Taubenheim

for

Gabe Gross/Dave Bush/Zach Jackson (Koskie)

and

Troy Glaus/Sergio Santos

for

Miguel Batista/O-Dawg

I think both trades have worked better for the Jays than I was expeting. Overbay has done everything we have expected from him, he's not gonna get crazy numbers, especially for a 1B, but he gives the Jays pretty decent numbers across the board. Ty Taubenheim pitching in the rotation in June? I doubt many people predicted that one. On the other side of the trade. Gross would have no place in the Jays OF. He started the season really well, but for the past month or so has fallen off the map. He's hitting .227 right now. :-o Dave Bush also has been struggling. Didn't we see that already? He shows flashes of breaking out sometimes, but right after that...disaster. As for Zach Jackson, he's been doing OK in the minors this season. 57IP 39K 3.00ERA. He'll prolly be pitching in the Major League in a year or two, but he shouldn't be much better than what the Jays already have on the farm system.

Glaus has been amazing. If he can stay healthy for the whole year, I will never doubt JP again. ;-) This trade has worked well for both the Jays and the D-Backs. Sure we could use some of Hudson's stellar defense right now, but the runs Glaus has created for the Jays would prolly surpass that. Batista hasn't been great, but hasn't been awful either...he has been Batista. It would be nice to still have him as an option in the rotation this year, but then who would have thought Burnett would be such a wimp.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Off-Season Trades

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:25 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:How do you guys evaluate the trades the Jays made during the off-season. ;-D ? :-t ?

I'm talking about...

Lyle Overbay/Ty Taubenheim

for

Gabe Gross/Dave Bush/Zach Jackson (Koskie)

and

Troy Glaus/Sergio Santos

for

Miguel Batista/O-Dawg

I think both trades have worked better for the Jays than I was expeting. Overbay has done everything we have expected from him, he's not gonna get crazy numbers, especially for a 1B, but he gives the Jays pretty decent numbers across the board. Ty Taubenheim pitching in the rotation in June? I doubt many people predicted that one. On the other side of the trade. Gross would have no place in the Jays OF. He started the season really well, but for the past month or so has fallen off the map. He's hitting .227 right now. :-o Dave Bush also has been struggling. Didn't we see that already? He shows flashes of breaking out sometimes, but right after that...disaster. As for Zach Jackson, he's been doing OK in the minors this season. 57IP 39K 3.00ERA. He'll prolly be pitching in the Major League in a year or two, but he shouldn't be much better than what the Jays already have on the farm system.

Glaus has been amazing. If he can stay healthy for the whole year, I will never doubt JP again. ;-) This trade has worked well for both the Jays and the D-Backs. Sure we could use some of Hudson's stellar defense right now, but the runs Glaus has created for the Jays would prolly surpass that. Batista hasn't been great, but hasn't been awful either...he has been Batista. It would be nice to still have him as an option in the rotation this year, but then who would have thought Burnett would be such a wimp.

Zach Jackson is actually up with the Brewers right now, he's starting for them on Wednesday, so we'll see how he does. Although, he may not be up with the team for long.

As of right now though, I like both of the trades (especially the Glaus one). And if Ty Taubenheim can rack up some QS's here in the next few weeks before Burnett comes back, that trade will be looking even better.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:45 pm

I think both trades have been overall beneficial for the Jays so far.

Obviously they both opened some holes, Bush and Batista would both have fit in well to the #5 spot they can't seem to fill lately, and trading O-Dog led to the debacle of a middle infield situation they have right now.

But Glaus and Overbay have both done really good jobs offensively, and have contributed well to the Jays having one of the best offences in the majors. ;-D Last year the if the team fell behind by three runs, you pretty much knew the game was over; now they are never out of any game.

And if Burnett and R. Adams could ever get their acts together then the trades would obviously be big wins for the Jays. So I can see what J.P. was probably thinking. So I give the trades a thumbs up so far.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:21 pm

I'm going with the majority on this one. I personally like both deals the Jays made this season.

I liked the Brewers deal but I hated to give away Zach Jackson because I really liked the kid and followed him down in the minors. I think Overbay has definitely helped our team offensively but Lyle has made many nice plays over at first to help out our team defensively. Taubenheim hasn't been spectacular but we knew we weren't getting a #1 rated prospect with him. Considering he's already with the club in June is pretty impressive itself.

The Glaus deal was also pretty beneficial for the Jays. Once again I hated to give away Orlando but like trades work, you have to give some to get some. Troy has been pretty stellar for us. He's been everything we were expecting him to be and he's not doing too bad defensively. We just need to keep him healthy and we're set. I didn't mind losing Batista because he really had nowhere on this team. Santos is still up in the air. He seems like a decent prospect but we may have to wait just a bit before we see him play.

Overall I like both deals made by the Jays. It's nice to know that teams are finally afraid of our offence. ;-D
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Toronto Blue Jays