Start Kip Wells against the Giants? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Start Kip Wells against the Giants?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Start Kip Wells against the Giants?

Postby icalderus » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:12 am

The giants have crazy offense and wells has a weak offense behind him. My question is do you think wells will give up ass tomorrow or maintain within a decent performance. This guy knows how to pitch well , too bad hes on such a horrible team. If he was on a better team I would give him 15 wins easily.

Do you think Wells has a chance of dominating the Giants offense ?
icalderus
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CJT » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:44 am

Not a chance in hell. Wells is without a doubt one of the worst pitchers in MLB. Have you looked at his stats? That is all you really need to know.
CJT

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:51 am

OK, Kip Wells is actually a quality pitcher. His ERA and WHIP are very solid, and his wins total looks weak, only because of horrible run support and a horrible bullpen blowing saves.

The Giants offense is also only average at best. Other than Bonds, there really isn't any top notch hitters in that lineup. To add to that, two of their better hitters, Durham and Aurilia, are out with injuries. All you have to do is walk Bonds every time, and you're in business.

The game is also in San Fran, which is a great pitchers park. I would start him under the understanding that a win is unlikely, given both the punchless Pirates offense, and the fact he's facing Schmidt.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby icalderus » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:09 am

i dont agree that wells is one of the worst pitchers in the leagues. his stats tell me otherwise as his whip and era are very decent in fact. since hes going against schmidt i think the best i can hope for is about 6 ip, 5k and 2-3 er. well have to see how it goes. but wells is not as bad as you think!!
icalderus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Giants Rule » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:06 am

Kip Wells is not bad. I had to trade him because of the lack of run support like somebody said. In his last 7 starts, 5 were quality starts, giving up only 3 long bombs and a record of 3-1. I'd start him if there's no stronger alternative.
Giants Rule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Jury » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:09 am

Adjectives that I would use to describe Kip Wells are quality, useful, and effective. He's no the most dominant or the most flashy, but he gets the job done and provides quality starts.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nover » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:11 am

CJT wrote:
Not a chance in hell. Wells is without a doubt one of the worst pitchers in MLB. Have you looked at his stats? That is all you really need to know.

HUH? have you looked at his stats?! 3.62 ERA and 1.29 WHIP is not that bad. either CJT were just messing around or he is smoking some serious crack.
Nover

Postby pkarr5000 » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:03 am

CJT wrote:

I think you should look at his stats.
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:09 am

No way he dominates but Kip does provide quality starts. I'm starting him, plus the game is at PNC.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:31 am

right on boyz!! i knew kip was not bad, not shabby at all. im throwin him in the starting rotation today!! thanks for ALL your input!!!!

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers