Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pennies?

keep em
58%
lose em
42%

Total votes : 36

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:38 pm

There are good reasons on both sides of this argument, but I come down on the 'keep them' side. For one thing, getting rid of them would have a negative impact, and more of an adverse affect on the poor than the rich or middle class. Lower classes are more likely to save, roll, and spend their pennies than other income groups who may not need them as much. And on a sort of related note, increased prices that would come from rounding prices up to the nearest nickel would hurt the poor and elderly most, as they are the least able to afford it, and generally make more small, cash purchases. For another thing, getting rid of pennies would hurt charitable organizations. Organizations like the Salvation Army rely on penny drives, and pennies collected in the donation conatainers you see at most grocery stores, gas stations, etc.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:44 pm

save 'em...money is money ;-D

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:44 pm

i say keep 'em because i dont want them to round everything up to the nickel. plus the whole abolish the penny argument is also applicable to the nickel. where do you stop? if they ditch it they should at least give per penny pricing to those using credit/debit cards. i rarely use cash anymore.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Red Stripe » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:46 pm

Well everything that is sold then would have to go by fives. Can't have anything sell for $9.99 anymore. You need pennies for that stuff although they're are too damn many of them.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:58 pm

given that the simple raw materials cost is more than the value (not even counting energy, machine, labor, transportation, etc) moving to a $0.02 minimum makes sense. Pennies would still be valid, but no longer produced and gradually pulled out of circulation and replaced by the 2s (which should be called 'deucies'). And in another 25 years we can dump those and just use nickels.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:00 pm

Why don't we just make cheaper pennies? We've done it in the past, by switching from totally copper to a zinc core with a copper outside.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:05 pm

I'm superstitious. If they're face up, I pick em up. Otherwise I'll leave them. And if there's chicks around I never, ever pick them up. ;-)
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:16 pm

Have to keep them. Otherwise, everything has to be in increments of 5 cents, and you know they aren't going to round down O:-)
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:23 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Have to keep them. Otherwise, everything has to be in increments of 5 cents, and you know they aren't going to round down O:-)

i posted this on the football side: why not just do it like the IRS does with your tax refund. if your purchase comes to $1.02, you pay $1.00. if it comes to $1.03 you pay $1.05. eventually it should even out.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby jzfran » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:25 pm

I hate pennies. I never pick them up and I usually leave them o the ground if I get any. They should just round to 5 cents and make all our lives a lot easier.
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk