Hillenbrand - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Hillenbrand

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hillenbrand

Postby jebnasty » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:01 am

Hillenbrand has been on fire this year. Can he keep this up. He has always been a pretty decent hitter. Im thinking of adding him.
jebnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George Bell » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:56 am

Hillenbrand developed a reputation as a fast starter hitting .421 in April of '05, but his career numbers show a hitter that has been productive late in the season, too. Hillenbrand can hit, no doubt about it, but he is probably not going to give you much more than his traditional 17-20 HR 80-90 RBI and .290 average. I believe that he does become a free agent at the end of the season, and he has a great team hitting around him, so there may be a modest improvement in those projections.
George Bell 1987 AL MVP
"Kiss my purple butt."
George Bell
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:26 am

just dropped Chris Shelton for him, if that tells you anything
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby JohnGris » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:15 pm

George Bell wrote:Hillenbrand developed a reputation as a fast starter hitting .421 in April of '05, but his career numbers show a hitter that has been productive late in the season, too. Hillenbrand can hit, no doubt about it, but he is probably not going to give you much more than his traditional 17-20 HR 80-90 RBI and .290 average. I believe that he does become a free agent at the end of the season, and he has a great team hitting around him, so there may be a modest improvement in those projections.

This is all true and in line with his career averages, but there is a good chance at this point that the guy will finish with a career year. He may be a fast starter in April, but we're in June now and he's still hitting well.

His low end this year are the above numbers, but I think his high end for this year could be around .310-.320, 25-30 homers, 90-100 RBI. That's if he has a career year and doesn't enter any mammoth slump. He's always been a consistent hitter so chances are good that he won't dip unreasonably.

He's been a great FA pickup for me. I drafted Sexson for 1B because I figured that he would only suck in terms of average and not...well..suck at everything, and Hillenbrand has put a stop to the bleeding. He's allowed me to not worry so much about 1B and only start Sexson at 1B on Hillenbrand's bench/off days, or start Sexson at Util every now and then until he shows signs life (like he has against KC). Even if Sexson breaks out like he likely will at some point, I'll be keeping Hillenbrand as he'd be a serious bonus in the Util spot.

-JohnGris
JohnGris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jsphlly » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:32 am

Anyone know how Hillenbrand will figure into the mix for NL interleague games?

Noticed Glaus was out last night and he played 3B with Hinske at DH.
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates