Myers need to be gettin some r-e-s-p-e-c-t - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Myers need to be gettin some r-e-s-p-e-c-t

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:08 pm

Yoda wrote:
cordscords wrote:Last year he had a good April and May, a bad June, a good July, and then he was dead average the rest of the way.

Maybe he's due for another implosion this month? IDK. But it's way too early to consider him a legit #2 yet.

A #3 seems more appropriate.

I'm not sure. He is ranked 30th among all SPs according to Yahoo. ESPN has him listed as 22nd among SPs. In a 10-12 team standard leagues, he's a legit #2 SP IMO. Unless of course he starts blowing up.

A lack of wins could have something to do with that ranking, it does seem a little low.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukrneal » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:40 pm

Myers has burned a lot of people and I think some of that still simmers. I have to admit, despite my avoiding him like the plague, that he is doing pretty well. I wonder what I would think of him if he came up in 2004 and the previous performance were in the minors. In terms of consistency, he hasn't given up more than 3 runs in any game this season. Pretty remarkable really.

Two things still concern me - 1) giving up too many HR and this could really hurt him if they start coming at the wrong times, 2) pitch counts, which while high, aren't really overly worrying. I just wonder if that may account for his tiring out before the All-star break and again before the end of the season (all last year). Could just be youth too.

Overall, I think we can't continue to see this guy as the same pitcher from two years ago. Some of those issues may still be around (valid), but it looks like he's solved the riddle (for at least a little while) and recent performance doesn't really suppurt such a low opinion that he has garnered here.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers