Myers need to be gettin some r-e-s-p-e-c-t - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Myers need to be gettin some r-e-s-p-e-c-t

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:03 pm

Yoda wrote:
cordscords wrote:
Yoda wrote:
cordscords wrote:
Philliebuster wrote:
cordscords wrote:I see a guy who so far in '06 has lowered his K/9, raised his BAA, and increased in BB/9 from last year.

:-o

When you look at Cindy Crawford, I bet all you see is the mole.

Pitches per PA:

'02- 3.49
'03- 3.56
'04- 3.63
'05- 3.84
'06- 4.29

I'm looking at the whole package. The bottom line is he has had 1, count it, 1 year of statistical improvement.

This year he has only lowered his ERA, and HR/9. He has gotten worse in everything else.

I don't mean to sound rude, but what in the world are you smoking?

But that 1 year of improvement is so significant that it's not even worth looking at his previous numbers in this thread. He is a completely different pitcher right now than he was pre 05.

That being said, how many 25 year old pitchers can you find that are producing at his level? I'd like to know.

Adrian Beltre sucked big time for several years, but had a monster 2004. We should just throw out all of his other years because they meant nothing right?

Yoda- You are one of my favorites here at the Cafe, but come on now...

Seriously now, Myers has proven so far this year that 05 was no fluke. A little bit different than Mr. Tru.

cords even came out and said he wasnt knocking on Myers. He did NOT improve from the years 02-04, he did improve last year (like cords said) and he has improved this year in ERA (like cords said). I am one of Brett Myers biggest supporters, but I couldnt help but notice how many of your misunderstood cordscords right there. I personally think he is on his way to another improvement this year in the important categories from a pitcher. His K rate will go up, and his BB rate has been going down since April (so has his K rate, but it will go back up).

Not once did cords ever knock on Myers or say he was a bad pitcher or even disagree that he will be a good pitcher this year and in the future, he just simply noticed that he has only had 1 full year of statistical improvement. Philliebuster said he has gotten better every year...I know Myers is young and all but he was wrong. Myers was pretty good for a rookie in 02, showed flashes in 03, and went downhill in 04, only to come back strong in 05, and he is continuing to improve this year (so far).

To sum up, you guys misunderstood cords post(s).
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 431)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Philliebuster » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:20 pm

Myers would be the best pitcher on the following teams:

Yankees
Boston
Orioles
Devil Rays
Tigers
Royals
Athletics
Mariners
Rangers
Nationals
Reds
Brewers
Pirates
Rockies
Dodgers
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:29 pm

Philliebuster wrote:Myers would be the best pitcher on the following teams:

Yankees-Mussina?
Boston-Schilling?
Orioles-agree
Devil Rays-Kazmir?
Tigers-Verlander?
Royals-so is about 500 other pitchers?
Athletics-Harden and Zito?
Mariners-Felix?
Rangers-agreed
Nationals-A healthy John Pat is better
Reds-Arroyo?
Brewers-a healthy Sheet is better
Pirates-agree
Rockies-agree
Dodgers-agree

and why does it matter? :-?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:16 pm

Philliebuster wrote:Myers would be the best pitcher on the following teams:

Yankees
Boston
Orioles
Devil Rays
Tigers
Royals
Athletics
Mariners
Rangers
Nationals
Reds
Brewers
Pirates
Rockies
Dodgers

I disagree with a a couple of those teams, but I agree on a lot of them.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Philliebuster » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:44 am

quote="PlayingWithFire"

Yankees-Mussina? Mussina is old, pitching above his talent level, no one projected him to be pitching this well
Boston-Schilling? See above mussina, both will fall off the second half.
Orioles-agree
Devil Rays-Kazmir? Could be better, but not yet based on cordscords reasoning
Tigers-Verlander? See kazmir response, he's only been pitching for not even 1/2 a season.
Royals-so is about 500 other pitchers?
Athletics-Harden and Zito? Injury prone and inconsistent.
Mariners-Felix? This season...felix is struggling, no doubt about it.
Rangers-agreed
Nationals-A healthy John Pat is better. Healthy is the operative word, you have to actually pitch...
Reds-Arroyo? Flash in the pan...not looked as good of late
Brewers-a healthy Sheet is better...when is he ever healthy?
Pirates-agree
Rockies-agree
Dodgers-agree
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cordscords » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:02 pm

Philliebuster wrote:
cordscords wrote:
I'm not taking '06 into account yet, because it's not final.

This type of thinking will make you miss out on alot of fantasy talent. Does this season not exist to you?

So I should have kept Chris Shelton as my starting 1B? I should have dropped Manny at the end of April right?

This type of thinking will miss you out on a ton of fantasy alot of fantasy talent.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:19 pm

cordscords wrote:
Philliebuster wrote:
cordscords wrote:

This type of thinking will make you miss out on alot of fantasy talent. Does this season not exist to you?

So I should have kept Chris Shelton as my starting 1B? I should have dropped Manny at the end of April right?

This type of thinking will miss you out on a ton of fantasy alot of fantasy talent.

I think Brett's current performance coupled with what he did in 05 shows that he is the real deal. While he is not yet a true ace (especially in fantasy leagues), I think he has a very good chance to one day become like Curt Schilling/Jason Schmidt in their peak years.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby cordscords » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:50 pm

Yoda wrote:
cordscords wrote:
Philliebuster wrote:
cordscords wrote:

I think Brett's current performance coupled with what he did in 05 shows that he is the real deal. While he is not yet a true ace (especially in fantasy leagues), I think he has a very good chance to one day become like Curt Schilling/Jason Schmidt in their peak years.

Last year he had a good April and May, a bad June, a good July, and then he was dead average the rest of the way.

Maybe he's due for another implosion this month? IDK. But it's way too early to consider him a legit #2 yet.

A #3 seems more appropriate.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:03 pm

cordscords wrote:
Yoda wrote:
cordscords wrote:
Philliebuster wrote:
cordscords wrote:

Last year he had a good April and May, a bad June, a good July, and then he was dead average the rest of the way.

Maybe he's due for another implosion this month? IDK. But it's way too early to consider him a legit #2 yet.

If you put it that way than you considered Peavy a #1 way too early last year (not that it was bad to have Peavy as a number one, it was just too early for your standards).
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:11 pm

cordscords wrote:Last year he had a good April and May, a bad June, a good July, and then he was dead average the rest of the way.

I'm not sure. He is ranked 30th among all SPs according to Yahoo. ESPN has him listed as 22nd among SPs. In a 10-12 team standard leagues, he's a legit #2 SP IMO. Unless of course he starts blowing up.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers