LAD Matt Kemp - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

LAD Matt Kemp

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dodgers6 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:43 pm

ooops and forgot about Andre Ethier another stud that came over from OAK for Bradley and Perez
dodgers6
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:53 pm

And Aybar may move to the OF when Mueller comes back.

It is one crowded place in the Dodger outfield.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CeeLoGreen » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:25 am

Wait and see seems to be the consensus. He only pinch hit tongiht. Might be tough to predict At-Bats.

It's either him or A. Phillips. As a Yankee fan, I think I know which way I am leaning.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jhofingers » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:44 am

I picked him up in my keeper league but i dont think i have enough spots to keep him for next year and beyond. plus i dont know enough about him.
jhofingers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:49 am

If you are in a keeper league, he is worth grabbing if you can afford a guy playing part time on your roster and have low expectations of performance for this season. In other words, if you are out of contention, pick him up. In a redraft, I would not touch him.

I watched him play a couple of times this weekend. He has clear talent, but he also had some lousy ABs - for example swinging at the first pitch for a weak grounder with the bases juiced yesterday. He is not polished, and he is not going to hit like Pujols or probably even Mike Cameron or Shannon Stewart this season.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:52 am

stumpak wrote:I watched him play a couple of times this weekend. He has clear talent, but he also had some lousy ABs - for example swinging at the first pitch for a weak grounder with the bases juiced yesterday. He is not polished, and he is not going to hit like Pujols or probably even Mike Cameron or Shannon Stewart this season.

Well in his defense it was a check swing that he was pulling back from. No one is as polished as Pujols was, but I think he is a bit more then you are giving him credit for. Most of his lousy AB's came in his first game when he only had 2 hours of sleep the night before.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby stumpak » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:00 pm

Yeah, I am not trying to dengrate his ability, but between fighting for time in a crowded OF and natural growing pains, I do not think that a person could justify rostering him in a redraft league. If he continues to hit like nuts for a month and regualr PT becomes a certaintly, then yes, but for now there are probably better gambles to take off the WW.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ukrneal » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:19 pm

stumpak wrote:Yeah, I am not trying to dengrate his ability, but between fighting for time in a crowded OF and natural growing pains, I do not think that a person could justify rostering him in a redraft league. If he continues to hit like nuts for a month and regualr PT becomes a certaintly, then yes, but for now there are probably better gambles to take off the WW.

I disagree. Let me explain why. By now, any silly moves have pretty much been made. Guys are settling in. So whoever is left on waivers in a league that has 12+ teams with 25+ players is pretty much either injured, lame, or lousy. Sure, you can get some marginal players in a pinch, but tough to get someone who can really make a change at this point unless they just happen to get hot. So that really just leaves callups.

I think if someone like Kemp (or milledge, etc.)comes up, and you are thinking of dumping someone, these are good pickups. Sure, they may bust, but the upside is so much better. Unlike the draft, I'd much rather take a chance on someone like Kemp, a rookie, than what is left on the wire, even if some of those guys have good experience and are more reliable in some ways.

If you are in shallow leagues, then you may be right, but even there, I would rather go for someone who has higher potential.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers