Moises Alou returns - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Moises Alou returns

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Moises Alou returns

Postby The Big Train » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:15 pm

MLB.com
NEW YORK -- A key offensive threat is expected to be back in the Giants' lineup Monday for the start of a seven-game homestand -- veteran Moises Alou.
"It depends how I feel after the long flight ... and if they want to activate me," said the half-joking Alou, on the disabled list since May 6 with a severely sprained right ankle.

There's still swelling in the ankle, and while Alou said he's around 90 percent healed and may have to deal with a sore leg for the rest of the season, he's ready to play. Now.

"I'm feeling pretty good, since Florida," he said. "If you had asked me before, then I'd say I'd play in two weeks, but in Florida, it must have been the water. I can run, but will have trouble playing the outfield moving around."

No matter. Alou's big bat -- he was hitting .378 with seven homers and 25 RBIs -- was sorely missed. He leads the club with a .671 slugging percentage and a .455 batting average with runners in scoring position.

"He makes a big difference with those RBIs," said manager Felipe Alou. "I hope we have a nice, smooth flight."

Moises Alou was potent batting fifth behind Barry Bonds, and immediately following intentional walks to the slugger, Alou was 4-for-4 with nine RBIs.

"You get upset," said Alou of not playing. "You have to work all over again like Spring Training. Back to step No. 1. But I'm very excited, because I'm feeling real good now. It's swollen, but I think it's playable.

"I know we're going to be a lot better," he said of his return. "I don't want to take away anything from anybody, but with me in, we're a lot better team. I think whether I go 10-for-20 or 0-for-20, my presence means a lot."
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mak1277 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:34 pm

Do we think he's worth starting right away? I'm in an NL-only and I'd be benching Freddy Sanchez or Brandon Phillips to start Alou for the coming week.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Ninjak » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:47 pm

Great news, he was owning before the injury. The Giants need more ammo around Barry.
Ninjak
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Big Train » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:30 pm

San Francisco area newspapers saying that he'll be coming of the DL today, but he's not in the starting lineup according to Yahoo. Maybe a pinch hitting appearance tonight and starting tomorrow??
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby baseball6791 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:21 pm

Supposedly he didn't get to work out and do some of the baserunning/fielding things they wanted him to do before they activated him yesterday in the bad weather in NY, so he did them today in SF and should be ready for tomorrow.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mak1277 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:40 pm

Someone give me a hand...my league's week starts tomorrow...should I start Alou over any of the following:

Freddy Sanchez, Brandon Phillips, Jimmy Rollins?
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:49 am

Moises Alou (ankle) will return to action for the Giants on Tuesday.

Alou took batting practice, shagged fly balls, and ran the bases today. He won't go on a rehab assignment and Alou even admits it may take a week for him to get his timing back, so it'd be best to hold off on activating the outfielder.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Injuries & Player Updates