Multiple 30-30's (answered) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Trivia Time Trial

Multiple 30-30's (answered)

Moderator: Baseball Trivia Mods

Multiple 30-30's (answered)

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Apr 23, 2002 3:12 pm

Bobby and Barry Bonds have between them a total of 10 30-30 seasons. Each member of the father-son dynamic duo has posted 5 such seasons. Name the only player not named Bonds to have more than 2 seasons of 30 HR's and 30 SB's.
Last edited by EugeneStyles on Sun May 19, 2002 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue May 14, 2002 12:10 pm

This is driving me crazy... I'm pretty sure guys like Sosa, Mondesi and Bagwell have done it twice - maybe my best bet is to wait until later in the season and hope one of them adds a third. ;-)

It's hard to think of players who have done this even once. Vlad and Abreu can't have three yet... Burks spent too much time with the Lead Sox... Yeech.

Ok, here goes: Willie Mays?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Jose

Postby cwebb » Tue May 14, 2002 12:37 pm

Jose Canseco

Well, just mentioning him now that he's retired!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue May 14, 2002 2:02 pm

Amazingly enough, Willie Mays only did it twice, in 1956 and 1957. Mondesi, Sosa, Bagwell, all twice. Abreu and Guerrero have only 1 apiece, although both are good bets to do it again by the end of their careers. Guerrero is actually on 40/40 pace so far this season.

Canseco only did it once, and that was when he had his 40/40.

The guy you're looking for is a bit more obscure than all of these superstars. Not that he wasn't a good player - 3 30/30 seasons isn't exactly a fluke, and he was only 4 HR's away from a 40/40 season in '89.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Arlo » Thu May 16, 2002 4:39 am

I'm drawing a blank here. Unfortunately, I didn't get any random outside inspiration, either (saw something on the news about baby Boomers, but I don't think it's George Scott...).

Eric Davis? :-{
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EugeneStyles » Sat May 18, 2002 5:01 am

Eric Davis is actually a really good guess, which I hadn't thought of. The Reds outfielder looked like a sure hall-of-famer when he came up, but his career was marred by injuries. Despite putting up several great seasons, including a season in which he posted 27 HR and 80 SB, his only 30-30 season came in 1987, when he had 37 HR and 50 SB.

The guy you're looking for *also* had a 30-30 season in 1987, with 36 HR and 32 SB. His other 30-30 seasons came in 1989 (36/41), and 1991 (38/30). He was primarily a 3rd baseman, but shifted to OF for a couple of years, and also logged time at 1st, 2nd, and SS. He came up with Detroit in 1982, and spent his last 2 seasons in Colorado and Chicago, respectively, but is mainly known for his 9 seasons with another NL team, with whom he won the World Series in 1986, a year in which he played only 88 games, and hit only 10 HR's.

I know this information isn't really much help, but I'm trying to skirt around telling you what team he played for, as that would really narrow down the choices to 2 candidates.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chuckr37 » Sun May 19, 2002 1:46 pm

How about HOJO?
chuckr37
College Coach
College Coach

Postby EugeneStyles » Sun May 19, 2002 7:07 pm

We have a winner! ;-D

Howard Johnson is the only person to ever have 3 or more 30-30 seasons without being Bobby Bonds or his son.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Trivia Time Trial